I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Sk2 and ATC Carbon Fore Grip Sleeve. How to Transition?
Posted by: Kevin Fiant (75.76.245.---)
Date: February 14, 2023 09:07PM

I am building a spinning rod with Fuji VSS reel seat and Sk2 hidden thread nut. Have the NFC Carbon grips. Read somewhere that the ATC Matte fore grip sleeve matches the NFC grips nicely and they are a great match.

My problem is my blank OD is 13.6mm and the inner sleeve ID Is 18.7mm. I need to find something that will take up the 5mm but still allow the hidden thread nut to turn (so no rod bond ramp). Any ideas?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/14/2023 09:17PM by Kevin Fiant.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Sk2 and ATC Carbon Fore Grip Sleeve. How to Transition?
Posted by: Kevin Fiant (75.76.245.---)
Date: February 14, 2023 09:10PM

Here is another pic. They don’t show the gap very well but hopefully you get the idea.

Posted by: Kevin Fiant (---.oh.cpe.breezeline.net)
Date: February 14, 2023 09:16PM

Without the insert the ID of the ATC Carbon (outer) Sleeve is 22.8mm. I need some kind of winding check that I can securely fasten to sleeve that isn't tight on blank and still allows me to connect sleeve to the Hidden Thread nut...

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/14/2023 09:18PM by Kevin Fiant.

Posted by: Norman Miller (Moderator)
Date: February 14, 2023 11:04PM

I assume you have the NFC 1K VSS soft touch CF grip, since the AmTac 3K matte CF hood sleeve is a perfect match for it. To take up some of the space between the blank and the hood sleeve opening I’ve used the Baston Forecast aluminum winding check. It’s OD matches the OD of the size 16 reel seat barrel and thus extends the reel seat OD a little further out so the gap is much less noticeable. You size the ID of these winding checks to match the OD of the blank. If not a perfect ID match get the size larger ID. These winding checks don’t ream very well. If you don’t want to use the aluminum winding checks they are also come in rubber, which will stretch to fit the blank.
[getbitoutdoors.com]

If you use the NFC 3K VSS soft touch grip, Fuji makes a CF matte twill hood sleeve which is a perfect match for the 3K seat. This CF hood sleeve (CTC223M) allows you to use the Fuji perfect fit base ring (BR212) and cap ring (CR24). The cap rings come in different hole sizes (12, 14, and 16mm) to fit the blank and thus reduces the gap between the cap ring and the blank. Unfortunately, the AmTac CF hood sleeve doesn’t work with the Fuji perfect fit trim parts.
Norm

Date: February 15, 2023 08:50AM

Thanks Norm for the response. I thought I had ordered the NFC 1K soft touch grips but they are the 3K. So, going to give the Fuji perfect fit sleeve, base ring, and cap ring a go. Will save the AmTac Sleeve for a future build. Once I get everything together will post another picture so that any others who might be wondering will know what finished product looks like. Thanks.

Date: February 15, 2023 09:04AM

Kevin, the Fuji CF hood sleeve CTC223M can be hard to find. Check with Voodoo rods they might have them. They also have trim parts from Matagi, as well as Fuji perfect fit trim. If you can’t find the CF hood sleeve let me know, I have some extra.
Norm

Posted by: VooDoo Rods (---.stat.lusfiber.net)
Date: February 15, 2023 09:08AM

Kevin - We keep both the Fuji & Matagi options that can accomplish what you are trying to achieve. Send me an email if you would like help putting something together - voodoorods@cox.net

[voodoorods.com]

[voodoorods.com]

Date: February 15, 2023 09:48AM

VooDoo Rods Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Kevin - We keep both the Fuji & Matagi options
> that can accomplish what you are trying to
> achieve. Send me an email if you would like help
> putting something together - voodoorods@cox.net
>
> [voodoorods.com]-
> -trim
>
> [voodoorods.com]
> -top-ring-for-kdps16

Thanks - I already have my order placed with you to finish out the hidden sleeve hood along with a few other goodies. Only thing I could not find on your website was the Fuji cap ring piece (looks like you only have the 16mm ID and 14mm works better for my blank). I went ahead and ordered that piece elsewhere. Voodoo Rods has been great to work with thus far as I'm just getting into the Rodbuilding Hobby. I've had multiple orders already with you. I really appreciate the quick processing of orders and the super easy wholesale program. Great for a newbie like myself. Thanks Voodoo Rods!

Date: February 15, 2023 10:17AM

What color cap ring did you order? I have some size 14 mm cap rings for the SK2 hidden thread hoods.
Norm

Date: February 15, 2023 10:26AM

Norman Miller Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> What color cap ring did you order? I have some
> size 14 mm cap rings for the SK2 hidden thread
> hoods.
> Norm

I ordered the black and gold. If you have an extra and will be at Expo I could pick it up from you there if that works? I won't get around to finishing rod until after Expo anyway. Thanks Norm!

Date: February 15, 2023 10:37AM

I’ll be there, but sorry I don’t have the black and gold cap ring; do have black and silver, black and red, and silver.
Norm

Date: February 15, 2023 10:44AM

Thanks for checking Norm. I've got the gold/black on order so no worries. Shipping is as much as the part but I'm committed at this point :)

Looking forward to 1st Expo and hopefully seeing/meeting some of the faces behind the names of many of the helpful people that are on this forum. Thanks again!

Posted by: Tim Scott (---)
Date: February 15, 2023 01:15PM

Norm thanks again for the update and the parts matching.

I bought several of the 3k soft grip to try out. I wish they had the VSS17 in soft touch as well as matching fore grips and fighting butts. The grips do feel nice. The casting are a bit on the thin side, same with the fly, probably suited best for 6 and under.

Seems the new trend is the eva transition on many of the CF grips. I know CF can require careful reaming, but on an expensive fly blank, there is no way I am using eva, so back to cork for me. I’ll look at the Fuji transition rings again as I am compiling another order for Voodoo

Date: February 15, 2023 03:37PM

I prefer the NFC soft touch IPS grips over their VSS16 soft touch grips. Even though they both use size 16 seats the IPS grip has a larger OD, which is quite similar to what a VSS17 seat/grip would be, This OD is about 27 mm, so it is quite comfortable to hold. Concerning the EVA winding checks that come with the soft touch grips, I have reamed them to fit some smaller diameter blanks, but for the most part I replace them with the AmTac aluminum winding checks for the G2 grips. They fit perfectly, and give a good finished look to the grips, but you have to match their ID with the blanks OD, and they are a little heavier.
Norm

Date: February 28, 2023 08:01PM

If anyone is curious or might find this helpful here is a annotated photo showing all the parts after they are fitted up. Still have some thread work to do in between the split grips to tie in the gold color. Thanks to all who offered some assistance with this thread.

[www.dropbox.com]

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster