I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Pages: 1234Next
Current Page: 1 of 4
Picture?
Posted by: Alex Weissman (---)
Date: February 13, 2023 05:24PM

I have a page of printing that I'd like to post. It's on my computer and I'd like to just bring it to this box. How?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Picture?
Posted by: roger wilson (---)
Date: February 13, 2023 09:39PM

Alex,
Use your phone to take a picture of the printing. Then, do a search of your pictures, find the pictures and upload the picture to the Photo section of the forum.

Or, if you have a scanner, you can scan the print and save it as a .jpeg file. Then, go to the photo section of this forum and then cruise to that .jpeg file and upload it to the forum.

They both work equally well.

Take care

Posted by: Norman Miller (Moderator)
Date: February 13, 2023 09:42PM

Copy and paste?
Norm

Posted by: El Bolinger (---.bstnma.fios.verizon.net)
Date: February 13, 2023 10:18PM

Download the app for android or Apple, easiest and quickest way. It also makes it so you can post the picture in the same thread you want to talk about it in.

I've never had luck uploading the other way and I gave up trying to look through those images because the set up is clunky and not worth digging through.

The app is the best way

Building rods in MA, Building the community around the world

Posted by: Chris Catignani (---)
Date: February 13, 2023 10:52PM

You can also use the BBC code tags: BBC Code

Posted by: El Bolinger (---.bstnma.fios.verizon.net)
Date: February 14, 2023 12:45AM

@CHRIS did you resize that?

Posted by: Steve Chontos (---.delta.com)
Date: February 14, 2023 01:54AM

I've struggled with pictures too. I just loaded one the other day, it went pretty smooth really. Once I had it loaded into the gallery and open on my computer, I copied the address and pasted it into the reply I was typing. I don't know why I struggled so much before, it was pretty simple.

Steve

Date: February 14, 2023 11:10AM

I have the picture in the photo section and tried to copy and paste to a new post. fail, what now?

Date: February 14, 2023 11:30AM

Just copy the address for the photo and paste it here.
[www.rodbuilding.org]
Norm

Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: February 14, 2023 11:51AM

Only problem with putting photos on the form here is that they are quickly lost and not archived in the way that they are on the photo page. However, if your question is related to the photo, you might want to post it here and not worry about it being available in archived fashion later.

…….

Posted by: El Bolinger (---)
Date: February 14, 2023 12:26PM

I will never look through the photo archive, photos are way more quickly lost in there. There's no way to search for and find what I'm looking for. It's just aimless pages and pages and half random photos based on very generic categories. In 2023 it's almost obsolete, the best way would be to have photos inside of relevant threads. They will be found and seen by newcomers way more easily, I gave up on the photo archive here about a week or 2 after joining the forum.

Date: February 14, 2023 01:12PM

Norm,
Is the address the URL or ? When I click on the blue (www.rodbuilding.com) my picture comes up. What I want to do is insert it in a new post.
Alex

Date: February 14, 2023 01:29PM

El Bolinger Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I will never look through the photo archive,
> photos are way more quickly lost in there. There's
> no way to search for and find what I'm looking
> for. It's just aimless pages and pages and half
> random photos based on very generic categories. In
> 2023 it's almost obsolete, the best way would be
> to have photos inside of relevant threads. They
> will be found and seen by newcomers way more
> easily, I gave up on the photo archive here about
> a week or 2 after joining the forum.

There is a search function that allows you to dial in specific terms and categories. The Photo Page is the largest repository of custom rod photos on the internet and has been for 22 years. 56+ million views. Plus you can call up an entire range of photos and look through them without having to keep opening new pages as you do on any forum. Keep in mind that it is not part of this forum and if you are trying to log in and use the log-in from this forum that won't work. Please read the log-in instructions at the top of this page.

Posted by: Steve Chontos (outbound.delta.com)
Date: February 14, 2023 01:54AM

I've struggled with pictures too. I just loaded one the other day, it went pretty smooth really. Once I had it loaded into the gallery and open on my computer, I copied the address and pasted it into the reply I was typing. I don't know why I struggled so much before, it was pretty simple.

Steve

Yes, it's very simple and straightforward once you read the brief instructions.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/14/2023 01:38PM by Tom Kirkman.

Date: February 14, 2023 01:42PM

Alex,

In direct answer to your question, the text on the image you printed ( [www.rodbuilding.org] ) is, at best, one company's or one person's idea for power ratings. It is not part of any universal power rating system. Unless you know what company or person wrote it you won't be able to apply it to any other manufacturer's rating system.

And by the way, the illustration depicts power, not action. Action is fast, medium or slow and is based on where the rod or blank initially flexes. Upper 1/3rd is fast, upper 1/2 is medium and overall is slow.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 02/14/2023 01:49PM by Tom Kirkman.

Posted by: Bob Foster (205.234.62.---)
Date: February 14, 2023 01:49PM

I've tried to register a number of times for the photo gallery without success. Not sure why but eventually just gave up. I have good success hosting my pics on photobucket and then linking to them from my posts here.

I used to be involved in a number of motorcycle forums and pics within threads were always a normal thing and there were many threads dedicated to various "builds", complete with progress pics as the build progressed. You would think that would be a thing here as well but it seems like pics in general in the posts is pretty rare for some reason. I always appreciate a pic included in a post as sometimes descriptions of a given thing / problem / technique are hard to visualize. A pic is worth a thousand words after all. Some threads got to be hundreds of pages long and were followed faithfully by many.

Pics within threads has always been a normal thing for me, going back to 2003 or so...

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/14/2023 02:00PM by Bob Foster.

Date: February 14, 2023 02:05PM

You can do it either way you want, or even link from photo bucket or similar. You are not limited to just one way to do it. The photo page is simply a convenient place to locate and search within one database. But again, you can do it any way you want.

Posted by: El Bolinger (50.233.0.---)
Date: February 14, 2023 02:11PM

I've read the instructions @Tom, I created an account over there - it never worked properly or something. I have no issues with modern technology and have never struggled accessing the internet.

I'll admit I stand corrected on the existence of a search function, but it doesn't exist on a mobile device which has been the only way I've accessed the archive. Most of my time on this forum has been on a mobile device, probably 92-96% of the time, perhaps that was also the explanation for my previous struggles (but all of the photos I would upload are on my phone anyway so it would be quite the circuitous route to upload images not from my phone directly).

I'm not trying to take away from the legacy of the archive, after 22 years it has most certainly earned those 56 million views, but it is like somebody now looking for answers in an encyclopedia - sure it can be done, the answers may be there, but it is utterly handicapped when compared to googling it, especially if one knows how to properly make searches on the internet.

With a couple of searches in the archive I bumped into a photo with which I would love to engage the photographer, or see what the discussion was about the item in the photo and gather what others' thoughts were about it - but alas I cannot. The photos lack any context in many cases and were simply uploaded without any information along with it.

The best way to engage, have relevant and find-able searches, and maintain ease of use/continuity/efficiency of the forum format is to streamline everything and make it all accessible where needed. The ability to easily (aside from being aware of and implementing the use of BBC coding) upload photos directly into threads on this forum is a good step in the direction of welcoming the next generation of rod builders who prefer technology to be more streamlined.

I see the activity on some other places on the internet between experienced builders and new builders and the amount of engagement and discussion and the volume of participants surpasses this forum daily - and I think that any sort of analytics would show that a significant factor in that is the ease of communicating, organization of communications, maximizing the use of modern technology (all of that partly due to the ease of access on mobile devices) and being intentional as a platform to generate more traffic (in some instances).

Date: February 14, 2023 02:24PM

This forum has proven to be the most popular rod building forum in history, so I don't think it lacks in any functional aspect. It's always worked on a cell phone and now there is a specific App for your phone as well.

The photo page has never required any BBC code in order to post photos from there on any forum, including this one (yes, it works with all other forums as well) - you just copied the URL and pasted it into your post as I did with Alex's above.

In the meantime, I checked for your registration on the photo page and there is no record of you creating any account there. What name did you use? I'll be happy to look into it further for you.

Posted by: Bob Foster (205.234.62.---)
Date: February 14, 2023 02:42PM

El Bolinger Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I've read the instructions @Tom, I created an
> account over there - it never worked properly or
> something. I have no issues with modern technology
> and have never struggled accessing the internet.
>
> ...
>
> I'll admit I stand corrected on the existence of a
> search function, but it doesn't exist on a mobile
> device which has been the only way I've accessed
> the archive. Most of my time on this forum has
> been on a mobile device, probably 92-96% of the
> time, perhaps that was also the explanation for my
> previous struggles (but all of the photos I would
> upload are on my phone anyway so it would be quite
> the circuitous route to upload images not from my
> phone directly).
>
> I'm not trying to take away from the legacy of the
> archive, after 22 years it has most certainly
> earned those 56 million views, but it is like
> somebody now looking for answers in an
> encyclopedia - sure it can be done, the answers
> may be there, but it is utterly handicapped when
> compared to googling it, especially if one knows
> how to properly make searches on the internet.
>
> With a couple of searches in the archive I bumped
> into a photo with which I would love to engage the
> photographer, or see what the discussion was about
> the item in the photo and gather what others'
> thoughts were about it - but alas I cannot. The
> photos lack any context in many cases and were
> simply uploaded without any information along with
> it.
>
> The best way to engage, have relevant and
> find-able searches, and maintain ease of
> use/continuity/efficiency of the forum format is
> to streamline everything and make it all
> accessible where needed. The ability to easily
> (aside from being aware of and implementing the
> use of BBC coding) upload photos directly into
> threads on this forum is a good step in the
> direction of welcoming the next generation of rod
> builders who prefer technology to be more
> streamlined.
>
> I see the activity on some other places on the
> internet between experienced builders and new
> builders and the amount of engagement and
> discussion and the volume of participants
> surpasses this forum daily - and I think that any
> sort of analytics would show that a significant
> factor in that is the ease of communicating,
> organization of communications, maximizing the use
> of modern technology (all of that partly due to
> the ease of access on mobile devices) and being
> intentional as a platform to generate more traffic
> (in some instances).

I've never been able to register there either in spite of more than a few attempts...

Date: February 14, 2023 02:47PM

Alex, it’s the URL. You go to your picture in the photo section, and click on its address box. This will highlight the address, click again and then click on copy. You can now paste this address in your post. This procedure will work for posting any web address you wish. Hope this helps.
Norm

Pages: 1234Next
Current Page: 1 of 4

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster