I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Popularity question: spinning vs casting steelhead drift?
Posted by: Fon Tze (---)
Date: February 12, 2023 01:04PM

Hey fellas, just a popularity question to satisfy my own curiousity:

For those that build steelhead drift rods (float/bobber/bobber dogging etc), do you build more spinning or casting rods?

Best

Fon

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Popularity question: spinning vs casting steelhead drift?
Posted by: Kerry Hansen (---.wavecable.com)
Date: February 12, 2023 07:26PM

Casting

Posted by: Spencer Phipps (---)
Date: February 12, 2023 07:29PM

A drift rod is a bank presentation and has no floating device keeping your gear off the bottom, you are drifting in the current and ticking bottom or you are not fishing. I prefer casting rods but do have a few summer run low water spinning rods.

Posted by: Kendall Cikanek (---)
Date: February 12, 2023 08:12PM

I see more people spinning with drift bobbers on Oregon coastal rivers by quit a bit.

Posted by: Stan Daubinawski (---)
Date: February 12, 2023 10:02PM

Adding to this question. As someone who hasn't gone steelhead fishing before. What length do you recommend for a rod of this type? I wouldn't be doing this in PNW but rather in WI for Great Lakes tributaries "Steelhead". Thanks

Date: February 12, 2023 10:44PM

My answer varies based on bank fishing, wading, or drift boat fishing. I’d go 9’ in a boat, 9’6” on the bank, and more than 10’ wading. I’ve both fished and been a management biologist for steelhead in the PNW and the Great Lakes basins.

Date: February 12, 2023 10:47PM

Those northern WI streams that are faster and hold the fairly rare Lake Coho I used the shorter 8 1/2 - 9 ft. rods from the PNW due to the smaller and steeper gradient streams. Being stationed in MI I never fished any WI streams for steelhead, the MI streams I fished were big enough and clean banked enough for 10 1/2 ft. rods to help extend my drifts, these were built for Canadian waters.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/12/2023 11:00PM by Spencer Phipps.

Posted by: Joel Wick (66.115.181.---)
Date: February 12, 2023 10:53PM

Stan Daubinawski Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Adding to this question. As someone who hasn't
> gone steelhead fishing before. What length do you
> recommend for a rod of this type? I wouldn't be
> doing this in PNW but rather in WI for Great Lakes
> tributaries "Steelhead". Thanks

10'-11' would be a good starting point for a spinning, casting, or centerpin rod used for floats. Longer, perhaps for fishing the larger rivers, but certainly not a requirement.

Most here use centerpins and spinning rods because of the lighter tackle and finesse used as compared to West Coast steelheaders.

Date: February 13, 2023 12:33AM

In my mind we are all saying the same thing in slightly different ways. In a drift boat the person at the stern is rowing and steering the boat. This leaves fishing and netting in a 16-18 foot boat in the bow to center positions. This makes any rod in the 10’ or more range cumbersome for landing/netting duties. I see the NFC 962x-2 the best hardware blank made for steelhead float fishing, but would go longer for big rivers and wading if clearance is available.

Date: February 13, 2023 01:17AM

In a boat where I was using plugs I would be using 7 1/2 to 8 ft. rods. Side drifting is what we call drifting with or without a float in a boat with the current, not the same as drift fishing, the 962x-2 is an excellent choice in or out of a boat and would work excellent in the slower current flows of the Midwest all seasons and fish to 20 lbs. I would think. Hook size #8 to #2. Spinners #2 to #5, Spoons to 1/2 oz. (IM) blanks lose little to an (HM) blank in a boat, especially if you are using floats and it gives a decent uptick in durability, rarely will you see guides with HM rods.

Date: February 13, 2023 02:12AM

Spencer’s inferences are the same as mine on every point. Guides do usually go for durability and value over the top level of performance. Side drifting has been waning in comparison to float bobber fishing for the last several years, but it’s still a very effective way to catch steelhead. There is more to being effective with these fishing methods than the rod one chooses. I’ve experienced epic and challenging days relative to fishing buddies. Feel, observation, and timing are important. All take practice and focus.

Posted by: Stan Daubinawski (---)
Date: February 14, 2023 09:26PM

Thanks for input. Ordered a NFC ST-962x blank. Hopefully can get in time to try fishing for steelhead this spring.

Posted by: Mike Ballard (---.ip-167-114-11.net)
Date: February 15, 2023 12:50PM

We don't do steelhead drifting down here but we do drift for other species. It is my feeling that casting outfits offer certain advantages when drift fishing. I feel that you have better control of line-out and adjustments as you need them. And when needed line counter casting reels offer something you cannot get with a spinning set up. These are just my thoughts based on what we do in the SE. Your type of fishing might be so different that nothing I have offered would do you any good.

Posted by: roger wilson (---)
Date: February 15, 2023 04:11PM

Fon,
Casting or spinning? It is a toss up.

Both methods have advantages and disadvantages.

With todays rods, reels and line - it is really not important.

Both will do a great job of hooking and landing fish.

Take your choice and enjoy the ride.

Date: February 16, 2023 09:41AM

Spinning is best if you have challenging casting elements such as a float rig with a lot of hinge or overhanging vegetation. I prefer mending the drift and boat landing big steelhead on a casting reel, though. A big, wild hatched hen can do things up close that is best saved by thumb modulation on an otherwise free spool. It’s difficult for spinning drags to allow the angler to prevent extreme rod angles while maintaining a taught line. That blank can be built either way and many big steelhead have been boat landed on spinning gear.

Posted by: Stan Daubinawski (---.sub-174-194-97.myvzw.com)
Date: March 24, 2023 11:16AM

Follow Up Question: On my rods that are 7-7.5 Ft long I have around a 10.75" Reel to Butt Length because that is where I like the butt to hit my forearm above my elbow.. This does result sometimes in a slightly tip heavy rod, but I have never added any weights to the butt to compensate for this and it has been fine to cast all day. But with a longer rod used for Steelhead and similar Handle length it might be too tip heavy.. Do I add a weighted butt or something to try to balance it a little so that you can keep the line up easier while fishing and not result in fatigue? Or go to a longer handle(Which seems to negate the use of a longer rod). Or just accept a little more tip heavy rod. (As I haven't done steelhead fishing before I don't have a basis of reference)

Thanks,

Stan

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster