I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Oversize Tips
Posted by: Harry Colborn (---.sopris.net)
Date: December 04, 2001 03:24PM

Where can I find some oversize tips to make ice fishing rods?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Oversize Tips
Posted by: dan (---.tnt15.atl2.da.uu.net)
Date: December 04, 2001 06:21PM

Harry, Good luck. The best I can figure is that there is some conspiracy to hide a finite amount of these that have been clandestinely manufactured. I know they exist, and I know Fuji makes them because I own two rods that have them sitting on top of them. But I have tried to get them for rods that I build (I build med. heavy inshore rods with a fairly small tip size and I want a bigger tip to let heavy leader knots go through) and it's a no go. I have asked here and several other forums and suppliers, and no one knows. I did luck into a tackle shop that repairs rods and the fellow had a couple that he sold me. When I asked where he got them, he just replied, "uhh...not real sure." If you find them, please post the source.

Posted by: Lynn Huffman (---.dialup5.community-web.net)
Date: December 04, 2001 07:32PM

What size ring and what size tip are you looking for?

Posted by: jnail (---.unitelc.com)
Date: December 04, 2001 07:40PM

I got some from Jann's Netcraft, but they aren't that great quality, and the only tube size is somewhere around 5.5, they don't tell you. They have wire rings or a ceramic ring w/shockring. I would really like to find something that has a size 16 or 20 ring with smaller tubes between 4 and 6.5

Posted by: John Britt (---.tampabay.rr.com)
Date: December 05, 2001 07:46AM

This is a quite simple problem to solve,don't buy tips use a single ft guide wraped on in the size you desire, no need to look for small tube sizes etc, and a number of users feel they are more sensitive then using regular rod tips.
John

Posted by: dan (207.4.245.---)
Date: December 05, 2001 10:28AM

I would agree that for ice fishing a single foot guide would be fine. For heavier duty like I build them for, the single foot lacks the braced ring and could twist, bend or break as the torque put on these rods when fightring fish is often great.

Posted by: Rich Garbowski (---.voyageur.ca)
Date: December 05, 2001 01:38PM

Harry,
There still is some demand for oversized tips, and on occasion I've had them special ordered to sizes I might want. Only problem, is for quantity one needs to order months ahead for manufacturing to specifications. No cosistency as to what some require in sizing. For example, I liked some in 16 mm ring size with tube sized for moderate power to heavy ice rods. They are just too heavy for anything like an ultralight ice blank. The quality will depend on who and where they come from and the pricing. I still have a minor source of hyaloy ringed tips and also some stainless ring size 16. Perhaps I'll take orders for next year on some general range of tube sizes if there is enough interest. I'm willing to get some feedback on what some would like for their requirements and quantities. It could be our interest is more with this for customers, being in ice fishing land of Canada.

Rich
Richard's Rod & Reel Service

Posted by: Harry Colborn (---.sopris.net)
Date: December 05, 2001 03:20PM

For the past few years I have been taking an inexpensive med action
graghite 51/2 or 6ft blank and cutting about 6 inches of the tip, then
cut off the butt what I need to end up with 44 or 45 inches. My most common tube size has been around 6 or 6.5. Some rods I would like
to build with a 12 ring, but for all round use 16 would be great. I have
tryed the single foot, the tip twists and it does'nt feel good. I have been
making these for lake trout fishing. There good and sensitive and you can fight 20lb fish with ease. I have been looking for larger tips for years. I would be very interested in placing an order some. Thanks
Harry

Posted by: Scott Greenberg (---.albany.thebiz.net)
Date: December 07, 2001 09:38AM

Hey Guys,
Merrick Tackle's Got it! We carry ILET guides. These have a
16 ring with tube sizes 4-6.5. We also stock Fuji BPLT 20-7 which is
hardloy or sil. carbide BPST's in size 20-7. In stock also--- ice blanks, handles and fishing tackle. Check us out the link is on the left.
Scott

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster