I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Lathe turning oval not round
Posted by: Greg Marshall (---.cpe.sparklight.net)
Date: February 06, 2023 08:45PM

I have a section of a rod wrapper equipped with the alps upgraded chuck and the live center on the opposite end. My mandrel is 3/8 about 15 “ long. At high speed, everything looks great. No wobble at all. However , my grips are not coming out round. They are visibly OVAL! I’m using a sureform file, and, at the moment, turning burl cork. But, I have the same problem turning foam. I thought I’d checked everything. Has anybody got ideas to what can cause this phenom?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Lathe turning oval not round
Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: February 06, 2023 08:54PM

It's the tool you're using. It "floats" on the cork and EVA so it's not cutting concentric to the mandrel.

Use a lathe tool for the bulk of your sizing. That'll get it concentric and then you can shift to sandpaper for the final shape and finishing.

The Surform is mostly useful for initial roughing or take down, but you are going to have to put a round nose tool or similar on there to get things concentric.

[www.youtube.com]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/06/2023 09:09PM by Tom Kirkman.

Date: February 06, 2023 08:59PM

Makes sense. Thanks, Tom

Posted by: John DeMartini (---.inf6.spectrum.com)
Date: February 06, 2023 09:31PM

If the grip is not somewhat concentric to start with, you may be applying too much pressure and the file is acting like a cam lifter and it rides the surface and follows the contour.To get the grip concentric the tool should remain fixed and just touch the high spots until the entire circumference is level.

At that point one can start shaping.The best results would be using high speed and light pressure along the length of the grip.

Have fun

Date: February 06, 2023 09:48PM

You are all spot on. I’m turning burl block where I had rounded the corners on a belt sander. Laid into it with sureform to cut it down quickly and now I can see what’s happening - sureform is following original contour. All good, it was a practice piece anyway. Thanks again.

Posted by: roger wilson (---)
Date: February 07, 2023 06:32AM

Greg,
The posts are right on.

In addition, you can use the surform tool, and similar tools to shape the grip - as long as you are using a tool rest.

As has been pointed out, what ever it is that you are using to shape the grip must remain stationary against the spinning object.

As has also been suggested - A light touch, against a fast spinning object works better than a heavy touch against a slow spinning object.

Note:
Depending on your setup, you may need several different adjustable tool rests. They may need to be of different lengths and even of different construction styles to do the very best job possible.

For example:
[www.pennstateind.com]

Or, has been suggested - turning chisels:
[www.pennstateind.com]

Or, a different lathe:
[www.pennstateind.com]

Or, a different chuck:
[www.pennstateind.com]

----------------------------------------------
Here is a veritable library of instructions and "how to" ideas to do various lathe turning activities with various tools.
[www.pennstateind.com]

Date: February 07, 2023 06:38AM

Perhaps that is what you really need to get your job done well:

[getbitoutdoors.com]

This is a specific tool rest designed for the Alps wrapper.

This tool which attaches to the Alps wrapper will give your tools and hands a rock solid base from which to do your shaping.

Here is a you tube video on using the video from Batson, the supplier of the Alps wrapper:

[www.youtube.com]

Date: February 07, 2023 06:43AM

Things NOT to do on a lathe:

[www.youtube.com]

Date: February 07, 2023 06:59AM

Here is a good example of creating a round object from a non round piece of wood:

[www.youtube.com]

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster