I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Help with centerpin handle
Posted by: Chester Trego (---.customer.alter.net)
Date: February 06, 2023 03:15PM

Hello everyone. This is my first post to the forum.

I will be attempting my first rod build with an NFC stn1163-2 blank. I love the look and feel of the carbon fiber handles. I do not want a full grip with sliding rings for this build. I would like a reel seat with all carbon fiber grips. I'm looking at all the grips on the NFC website but do not know what to get to make the handle I want.

My current handle on this same blank is a full cork at about 21" long with sliding rings. I like to have the center of my reel at about 6" from the top of the front grip. So i need to get a carbon front grip/reelseat/ back grip that would make close to this setup. I see they have grips that fit right over the Fuji VSS reel seats. Can someone point me to the correct parts to make this handle?

Any help is greatly appreciated!!

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Help with centerpin handle
Posted by: Spencer Phipps (---)
Date: February 06, 2023 06:55PM

What part of your reel is 6 inches from the top?

Posted by: Chester Trego (---.15.57.41.res-cmts.sha2.ptd.net)
Date: February 06, 2023 09:04PM

Spencer Phipps Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> What part of your reel is 6 inches from the top?

Center of reel

Date: February 06, 2023 11:05PM

Anyway you look at it I don't see how you make the relatively seamless foregrip with available carbon grips with your length requirement, a stationary fore grip will leave a gap like other reel seats do. I don't know of a hidden hood that will stabilize you long foregrip needs, if you turn the available rear grips around you again have a short fore grip problem, but it is at least a stable one piece to grip. You could always cut one of the longer VSS one piece grips and build a finish plug with EVA that resembles the ones on the NFC soft touch seats to finish it off at your required length. Either way it is not a buy it and fly setup from what I see out there.

Posted by: Chester Trego (---.customer.alter.net)
Date: February 07, 2023 07:17AM

Spencer Phipps Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Anyway you look at it I don't see how you make the
> relatively seamless foregrip with available carbon
> grips with your length requirement, a stationary
> fore grip will leave a gap like other reel seats
> do. I don't know of a hidden hood that will
> stabilize you long foregrip needs, if you turn the
> available rear grips around you again have a short
> fore grip problem, but it is at least a stable one
> piece to grip. You could always cut one of the
> longer VSS one piece grips and build a finish plug
> with EVA that resembles the ones on the NFC soft
> touch seats to finish it off at your required
> length. Either way it is not a buy it and fly
> setup from what I see out there.

This is an example of what I'm looking to make.

[novatacklecompany.com]

Date: February 07, 2023 02:05PM

That's just a standard build, 4 1/4 to 6 inch fore grips are available, some turn their spinning split grip around to get what they want. Looks like a standard 12 in rear grip with a weighted butt cap. Reel seat is a fancy American Tackle or Alps Rapis Spin, 17 mm size at least for those length blanks.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster