I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Minwax polyurethane for rod coating
Posted by: Brandon fennimore (---)
Date: February 06, 2023 11:42AM

Has anybody has any experience using a polyurethane coating for a whole rod? Something like minwax, I see a lot of guys in Europe use something called bondaseal and I was wondering if the closest thing we have to that (minwax) would work as well

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Minwax polyurethane for rod coating
Posted by: Matt Ruggie (---)
Date: February 06, 2023 11:53AM

[www.rodbuilding.org]
idk anything about the product so i looked it up and found the above

Posted by: david taylor (---)
Date: February 06, 2023 01:18PM

I tend to stick with known entities.

I have heard of people using White Gorilla Glue for thread wraps. And there is a video of this on YouTube.

Posted by: roger wilson (---)
Date: February 06, 2023 01:25PM

Not good.

Posted by: Norman Miller (Moderator)
Date: February 06, 2023 02:10PM

Use Permagloss, it is a moisture cure polyurethane finish that is used by many to clear coat rod blanks. The preferred method for application is to wipe it on, using a cosmetic sponge, cheese cloth or even a coffee filter. It gives a very thin, hard, and durable finish that will not yellow. Do a search here, there is a ton of information on how to apply.
Norm

Date: February 06, 2023 02:18PM

Norm, that’s what I want to try. I was just seeing if there was something I could get at a store near me that would work. But permagloss seems to be the ticket, how is it on thread wraps??

Posted by: Spencer Phipps (---)
Date: February 06, 2023 02:28PM

Many have used the Triple Thick Polyurethane. Varathane I believe was the brand, but I thick Rust O Leum is the same company. Wraps also.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/06/2023 02:29PM by Spencer Phipps.

Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: February 06, 2023 02:45PM

Exterior polyurethane makes a good blank coating. Much better than epoxy for sure.

Posted by: Ross Pearson (---.dlth.qwest.net)
Date: February 06, 2023 03:03PM

Google search = "Bonda Seal Clear, rustins.ltd·Manufacturer
Moisture cured single part polyurethane varnish. Formulated from high performance resins to provide a non-porous sealer with outstanding non-yellowing properties and gloss retention.
Use: Concrete, Masonry
Size: 8.5 fluid ounces, 33.8 fluid ounces, 84.5 fluid ounces, 1.3 gallons
Type: Surface Coating"

Sounds a lot like Permagloss

Posted by: Matt Ruggie (---)
Date: February 06, 2023 03:12PM

Ross Pearson Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Google search = "Bonda Seal Clear,
> rustins.ltd·Manufacturer
> Moisture cured single part polyurethane varnish.
> Formulated from high performance resins to provide
> a non-porous sealer with outstanding non-yellowing
> properties and gloss retention.
> Use: Concrete, Masonry
> Size: 8.5 fluid ounces, 33.8 fluid ounces, 84.5
> fluid ounces, 1.3 gallons
> Type: Surface Coating"
>
> Sounds a lot like Permagloss
i thought the same thing

Date: February 06, 2023 03:34PM

Tom that’s what I was thinking since it’s essentially permagloss, they have some degree of uv protection too. I’m sorry did anybody say it’s okay to use on thread wraps? Permagloss that is

Posted by: Mark Talmo (---)
Date: February 06, 2023 03:41PM

Brandon,
Why take a chance when you can use the “industry standard” PermaGloss with its proven track record? As for Ross’ observation and comment “...Use: Concrete, Masonry…Sounds a lot like Permagloss” = I didn’t know that I could seal my driveway and bricks with PG lol; more versatile than I ever imagined!!!

Mark Talmo
FISHING IS NOT AN ESCAPE FROM LIFE BUT RATHER A DEEPER IMMERSION INTO IT!!! BUILDING YOUR OWN SIMPLY ENHANCES THE EXPERIENCE.

Date: February 06, 2023 04:28PM

Just experimenting that’s all

Posted by: Les Cline (---)
Date: February 06, 2023 04:30PM

Brandon,

In short, You can certainly use PG on thread wraps. It will probably outlast the rest of your rod.

PG is not like thread epoxy in terms of viscosity, though, and more like water. I put it on in thin coats, just enough to wet the wrap. It cures even thinner. You will still see the thread ridges after multiple coats and cures.

This does not lessen its strength nor durability. It's just a different look. I'd strongly suggest making a couple test wraps with it first to see what you like. Just put it on thin...and don't touch it again.

Date: February 06, 2023 06:10PM

Hmmmm yeah I’m gonna have to try it out

Date: February 06, 2023 06:14PM

Might just say screw trying to coat a whole rod… I’ve always wanted to get a blank to have just a shimmer of color to it like add some pearl pigment to the varnish but it almost seems not worth it

Posted by: Dennis Danku (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: February 06, 2023 08:38PM

CPXtra from VooDoo is another option.

Dennis J. Danku
(Sayreville,NJ)

Posted by: Les Cline (---)
Date: February 08, 2023 06:16PM

Brandon,

Yes, try it out first! Experiment!

I've never tried to coat a blank, but have coated several guide wraps and CF grips with Perma Gloss.

I appreciate your wanting to add some shimmer to your build. And I agree with you that there is a point of diminishing returns with the process of many customization techniques. Is the bang worth the time and money?....Sometimes it is....depends on you.

Not sure about all the rod-coating products and methods out there by any means. There were some posts/threads going around about automotive paints, Spray Max? Try a forum search.

Just want to support you on your quest and efforts.

Posted by: david taylor (---)
Date: February 08, 2023 06:18PM

[www.youtube.com]

[cdn.shopify.com]

[www.youtube.com]

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 02/08/2023 06:31PM by david taylor.

Posted by: Lynn Behler (---.44.66.72.res-cmts.leh.ptd.net)
Date: February 08, 2023 07:07PM

Brandon you can do it, I have with both Permagloss and CPXtra. Use VERY little pigment. You can always do 2 coats. It's tricky, but if you don't like the look and you're fast enough you may be able to wipe it off with DNA. I know this works with CPXtra, but Permagloss may go off too fast. The pigment doesn't really mix with the finish, it kinda just gets suspended in it.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster