I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Pages: 1234Next
Current Page: 1 of 4
Microwave guides
Posted by: david loftus (---)
Date: February 04, 2023 09:06AM

I have built a few rods with the AT microwave guides and like the ease of setting them up on the rod. Why don't more builders use these compared to the regular style?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Microwave guides
Posted by: Michael Danek (---.alma.mi.frontiernet.net)
Date: February 04, 2023 09:47AM

I prefer Fuji's consistent very high quality and with the KR software on Anglersresource.net site (left margin) they are as easy to set up as Microwaves. Furthermore, I like the many options Fuji has for sizes, rings and finishes in their KLH, KB, KT guides which I use on all my spin. KB/KT's in the smaller sizes are lighter than the Microwave runners which yields a faster recovery rod. Add the RV for cast and these four guide designs do it all for me. I much prefer the look of Fujis over the Microwaves.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/04/2023 10:02AM by Michael Danek.

Posted by: Alex Weissman (---)
Date: February 04, 2023 09:57AM

I have a factory rod that came with microwaves and like it for throwing frogs.

Posted by: Mark Talmo (---)
Date: February 04, 2023 07:17PM

david,
I suspect it has to do more with MicroWave’s unconventional appearance than anything else. I have only built one rod with MWs simply because I could and for the experience. My biggest objection is having to purchase a complete set and I do not like the runners. It fishes fine but nothing stand-out or stellar. I’ll stick with my Fujis and SeaGuides, possibly Minimas on occasion. Yet, there are those who like the MWs. In the end, when all is said and done, it is all about personal preference.

Mark Talmo
FISHING IS NOT AN ESCAPE FROM LIFE BUT RATHER A DEEPER IMMERSION INTO IT!!! BUILDING YOUR OWN SIMPLY ENHANCES THE EXPERIENCE.

Posted by: Dean Veltman (---.datapacket.com)
Date: February 04, 2023 07:47PM

For me, I like the easy setup and the flexibility to swap reels since it is not as specific of set up based on individual reel
specs.

Posted by: Lynn Behler (---.44.66.72.res-cmts.leh.ptd.net)
Date: February 04, 2023 09:03PM

I've used 3 sets so far, (because they do look unique) they work fine. As long as I have to buy a full set I won't be using them. Don't care for the runners.

Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: February 04, 2023 09:22PM

david loftus Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I have built a few rods with the AT microwave
> guides and like the ease of setting them up on the
> rod. Why don't more builders use these compared to
> the regular style?

Plenty of rod builders use them. They work just fine.Maybe the fact that very few have issues with them is why you don't hear more about them on the forum/s.

Posted by: El Bolinger (---.bstnma.fios.verizon.net)
Date: February 04, 2023 09:54PM

Multiple people have said they don't like the runners - why not?

What don't you like about the runners?

Building rods in MA, Building the community around the world

Posted by: Mark Talmo (---)
Date: February 05, 2023 12:09AM

Forced to say regarding MW runners = they are ugly, heavy and I cannot perform my version of a locking wrap as with Fuji KBs or KTs.

Mark Talmo
FISHING IS NOT AN ESCAPE FROM LIFE BUT RATHER A DEEPER IMMERSION INTO IT!!! BUILDING YOUR OWN SIMPLY ENHANCES THE EXPERIENCE.

Posted by: david loftus (---)
Date: February 05, 2023 07:27AM

They are sure easy to set up. I set the first three guides per the measurements on the package and then do a static test to adjust the runners.Easy peasy.....I just cant see spending close to a 100 bucks for fuji guides
\

Posted by: El Bolinger (---.bstnma.fios.verizon.net)
Date: February 05, 2023 07:44AM

@MARK thanks, I'm very curious how much heavier than same size other brand runner? I want ot build as light as possible with most builds, and it all adds up. Every gram counts

Building rods in MA, Building the community around the world

Posted by: Marc Morrone (---.dsl.airstreamcomm.net)
Date: February 05, 2023 08:15AM

The concept is great, they work well, and are easy to use. MW 20 set is really nice - but I prefer size 6 runners, and the Air set is a great concept, but the guides past the Microwave butt guide are not so attractive with the frame filled in. On the Air style I will buy the set, but replace all the guides after the butt guide with others.

A simple answer - they work well, and are easy to use. Custom guys like to tweek stuff, that's how we got into this in the first place. If they sold the Microwave guide alone, and you could add the rest as you wanted, sales and usage may go way up.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/05/2023 09:53AM by Marc Morrone.

Posted by: John DeMartini (---.inf6.spectrum.com)
Date: February 05, 2023 09:12AM

I don't use them because you have to by the complete set.

Posted by: John Santos (---.111.244.66.dyn.smithville.net)
Date: February 05, 2023 09:34AM

Simple for me - I have not noticed any differences/advantages in real world.

Posted by: Chris Catignani (---)
Date: February 05, 2023 10:07AM

I use them and like em pretty good.
I started getting customers asking specifically for them.
John ^^ mentioned that you had to buy the complete set.
Though this is not totally true (AT will sell you whatever you need).
But I have found myself buying sets of guides more and more...
I was spending WAY too much time researching and picking guides to only have an order on backorder because they were missing a guide.
Anglers Resource / American Tackle / MudHole all have some pretty decent guide kits.
The one draw back is you start to collect a set of extras. It a small price to pay for time lost.

Posted by: John DeMartini (---.inf6.spectrum.com)
Date: February 05, 2023 11:37AM

Chris;

Thanks I was not aware of that.

John

Posted by: Richard Bowers (---.ptld.qwest.net)
Date: February 05, 2023 03:23PM

I have been using the Microwaves since they were introduced, and will continue to use them. My favorite set is the MW25's in matte black. I use them for inshore and freshwater applications. There are a number of advantages:

1) Increased casting distance
2) Decreased weight in the rod's tip area increasing sensitivity and rod recovery. (Similar to the advantages of a micro-guide setup)
3) Decreased effort needed to cast
4) Reduced vibrations from line slapping the guides and blank during the cast

While none of these advantages are particularly significant in and of themselves, the cumulative effect is a more enjoyable and efficient casting process.

As an aside, I was a harsh skeptic when they first came out, so I decided to see how they performed for myself. I took two identical 7' blanks and built them with the reel seats in the same positions and used a MW20 set on one and on the other the standard (Cone of Flight) guide train on the other, starting with a size 25. I then proceeded to test cast the two rods on a football field using three reels. One was set up with 6lb mono, another with 6lb Fireline, and the third with 17lb Stren Super Tuff. I cast 10 times from the goal line and a partner would identify the yard marker and the distance beyond it where the lure landed. We recorded these distances and repeated the process by switching the reel to the other rod and casting the same lure 10 more times. We did this with all three lines and then tabulated the results. The bottom line was the MW guides consistently cast farther by between 5 and 10 feet with all three lines. While that may not seem significant, I began experimenting with how hard I cast, and realized I could cast at about 75% effort and achieve the same distance. My guess is the amount of resistance at the collecter guide prevents further casts and the harder I cast, the more resistance. It was still however better than the cumulative amount of resistance of the entire train of the standard set.

Rich

Posted by: Kendall Cikanek (---)
Date: February 05, 2023 03:36PM

The drop from a 20mm size ring to a 6mm one, in about 20mm’s of distance, constitutes a very steep angle. I worked out the trigonometry a couple of years ago and the spool diameter required to have both rings touched by a straight line was about 10 inches. I looked at the shape of any expected line oscillations, and real ones on KR rods, and couldn’t see anything this steep, either. It seems inherent to me that line would need to be “pooled up” by the inner ring to ever contact the outer ring. I’m not doubting the system works. It’s just hard for me to see how it would work better as big, loose coils aren’t prevalent during a smooth cast in a more standard system. I’m not criticizing anyone’s choice, it just isn’t mine.

Posted by: Gary Weber (173.241.113.---)
Date: February 05, 2023 05:31PM

Chris, will American Tackle sell the a Microwave stripper separately from the sets?

"John ^^ mentioned that you had to buy the complete set.
Though this is not totally true (AT will sell you whatever you need)."

Posted by: Chris Catignani (---)
Date: February 05, 2023 06:29PM

Gary Weber Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Chris, will American Tackle sell the a Microwave
> stripper separately from the sets?
>
> "John ^^ mentioned that you had to buy the
> complete set.
> Though this is not totally true (AT will sell you
> whatever you need)."

Yes...they will sell it separate.

Pages: 1234Next
Current Page: 1 of 4

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster