I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Sealing White Thread
Posted by: Sterling Gray (---)
Date: February 03, 2023 02:43PM

What is best for finishing white thread, that will prevent yellowing or discoloring of any kind? I have Flex Coat UV, but not sure how well that will hold up in the long-term.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Sealing White Thread
Posted by: Mark Talmo (---)
Date: February 03, 2023 03:19PM

Sterling,
It is quite well accepted that virtually all epoxy thread finishes will yellow with time, some possibly more than others. While such yellowing may obviously be more noticeable over a white base, remember that the thickness of thread finish is rather thin which will minimize the appearance of the discoloration. That said, the best thread epoxy which I have found regarding yellowing, flow-out, bubble release and pot life is CTS Crystal Coat. There are those who claim that U40 PermaGloss does not yellow but I cannot attest to that. If you decide on using PG, plan on its thinness to require a minimum of 3 coats, as many as 6 or more if you desire any depth.

Mark Talmo
FISHING IS NOT AN ESCAPE FROM LIFE BUT RATHER A DEEPER IMMERSION INTO IT!!! BUILDING YOUR OWN SIMPLY ENHANCES THE EXPERIENCE.

Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: February 03, 2023 04:04PM

PermaGloss will not yellow. But it does not have the same appearance as epoxy.

Posted by: Daryl Ferguson (---)
Date: February 03, 2023 04:23PM

Is that the stuff manufacturers use? I have off the shelf rods that look more like the guides were shrink wrapped vs. epoxied.

Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: February 03, 2023 05:37PM

No. It's a moisture curing urethane. Most commercial rod manufacturers use Flex Coat epoxy.

Posted by: Lynn Behler (---.44.66.72.res-cmts.leh.ptd.net)
Date: February 03, 2023 07:33PM

Daryl, I thinks the wraps you're referring to may be done with NCP thread. It gives a tape like appearance to the wraps.

Date: February 03, 2023 11:00PM

Could be Lynn, it definitely does not look like a regular epoxied wrap. I'll try to look up a NCP thread pic to see if it's what I'm talking about.

Date: February 04, 2023 09:41AM

Thanks for the info Mark. I understand that the perma gloss requires good ventilation and a respirator also. Not a problem , but something to think about. I am thinking of building a rod the will be displayed and probably never fished. As an heirloom build, I would like to consider the long-term conditions.

Posted by: roger wilson (---)
Date: February 04, 2023 12:12PM

If in doubt- don't use white thread and you will never have the problem.
Rather use yellow thread for your wrapping and then - even if the finish yellows, it will remain invisible.

Best wishes

Date: February 04, 2023 06:17PM

FTR I have a Favorite Whitebird that is wrapped with white thread and has regular clear epoxy (not the heat shrink looking stuff I mentioned earlier). It's so clear, you can count the number of wraps around the blank. I haven't noticed in yellowing, but I keep socks on all of my rods so that might be why.

Posted by: Donald La Mar (---)
Date: February 04, 2023 06:52PM

This world is awash in UV. If a finish absorbs / stops the UV then the substrate (windings) are protected at the expense of the finish, else the finish permits the UV to pass and remains clear at the eventual expense of the substrate. It's a pick your poison thing.and an argument in favor of rod bags and tubes.

Date: February 04, 2023 09:18PM

Daryl, your being able to see individual threads in the wrap is the way nylon/poly appears. When the wraps look more like paint or tape that's more likely NCP thread. With it the individual threads tend to appear blended together.

Date: February 04, 2023 10:11PM

> Daryl, your being able to see individual threads
> in the wrap is the way nylon/poly appears. When
> the wraps look more like paint or tape that's more
> likely NCP thread. With it the individual threads
> tend to appear blended together.

So it's the thread that gives it that tape look, not the epoxy? As far as the UV business, I don't worry about it. My boat is stored in my garage and, again, my rods all have rod socks on them.

Date: February 05, 2023 07:29PM

Yes! Best place in the world is out of the sun.

Posted by: Michael Ward (---.atlagax1.pop.starlinkisp.net)
Date: February 06, 2023 11:08AM

I love the look of some white wraps in a dec-wrap or guide-wrap - but its knowing it will turn dingy yellow before long that gets me and I do my best to avoid it. I've had a few customers demand white so I warm them well upfront what will happen.

As to using white - I've found the best luck with Fuji NOCP size A - and pack, pack and pack it some more....

Date: February 18, 2023 05:55PM

Thanks for the tip on the Fuji NOCP.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster