I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Any Experience w/ NFC DS760-1 (HM)?
Posted by: Jared DeWeese (---.lsan.ca.frontiernet.net)
Date: February 02, 2023 06:29PM

I recently purchased a DS760-1, DS761-1 & a SJ762-1, all HM, from NFC and something seems off with the DS760-1. The DS761-1 & the SJ762-1 are nice thin, light & extra fast blanks but the DS760-1 seems a little stiffer and it is actually thicker in diameter as I measure it down the blank.
Side note, the SJ762-1 & the DS760-1 arrived first and the DS761-1 arrived a couple weeks later. I know that I didn't just mix up the SJ762-1 & the DS760-1 because when the DS761-1 arrived I compared it to the SJ762-1 and the differences between the two feel correct for their ratings.

So to get to my question, does anyone have any experience with this blank and can offer some insight into what I am seeing? Odd that the "0" rated rod would be larger in diameter and stiffer than the "1" & "2" power.

Thanks!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/03/2023 09:34AM by Jared DeWeese.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Any Experience w/ NFC DS760-1 (HM)?
Posted by: Matt Ruggie (---)
Date: February 03, 2023 12:56PM

doesnt sound right. the CCS data base shows the DS760 as the least powerful of the 3.

Date: February 04, 2023 11:57AM

Yeah that's why I'm perplexed. I called NFC to get their take on it and see if there was a mix up at the factory. Gentleman on the phone asked me to fill out the warranty claim. I filled that out so we will see what they say.

Posted by: Spencer Phipps (---)
Date: February 08, 2023 01:48PM

Larger in diameter equals stiffer using the same amount of carbon and it can mean stiffer with less carbon. Is the DS760-1 lighter than the others? The catalog says it is by a couple tenths of an ounce and it is listed as finesse vs ultralight. Some of the differences may be here.

Date: March 01, 2023 11:28AM

Yeah I see what you are saying. It would just be nice if someone from NFC would respond to confirm my findings. The guy on the phone wasn't able to help and asked me to fill out a warranty claim. Filled that out 4 weeks ago and no response.

Posted by: El Bolinger (50.233.0.---)
Date: March 02, 2023 01:46PM

@Jared welcome to the forum, hope you stick around and ask more questions!

I'm not familiar with the blank, but I'll say this -

NFC is a small company doing big things. They provide blanks to us little guys and rod manufactures producing mass finished product. They often admit to having lengthy wait times, and apparently there was some weather issues messing with them and I'm sure impacting a number of things like dominoes.

We can walk into a Walmart and talk to customer service right now, I can call Verizon and wait an hour but I'll talk to somebody who can get into my account right now - they are BILLION dollar companies with enough staff to reflect that.

I just got an email about a blank I ordered 2 months ago from them, I didn't even know it wasn't already in my basement with the others I got because I haven't been able to go through the shipment I got a couple weeks ago. All I'm saying is try to be patient and, and definitely reach back out to them. They might be slow, but it seems that they follow through on good customer service, just a little later than we're used to.

Best,
El

Building rods in MA, Building the community around the world

Posted by: Brett Ford (---)
Date: March 04, 2023 09:42AM

If you can provide your blank diameter measurements, I can compare them to the 760-1 HM that I have.

Posted by: Les Cline (---)
Date: March 04, 2023 03:15PM

Brett,

I have the HS760-1 (Delta), not the HM version.
IP = 397.5; ERN = 15.1; AA = 75

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster