I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Missed first reduction guide measurement... big deal?
Posted by: Mike W. Anderson (---.res.spectrum.com)
Date: February 01, 2023 09:34PM

Hi all, I got confused between two rod builds I am doing at the same time and wrapped one rod with its first reduction guide one inch too close the the stripper guide. How big of a deal is this? I did a really nice wrap on it and seriously don't want to cut it off unless i have to. It's an 8' med-hvy rod using the KR concept 25/12/5.5/5 etc. Was supposed to be 22" > 10.6" > 7.6" etc, but I did 22" > 9.6" > 7.6" etc.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Missed first reduction guide measurement... big deal?
Posted by: John Nesse (24.118.138.---)
Date: February 01, 2023 10:25PM

I just went through something similar. You should test cast it, but if you're like me you won't be able to stop thinking about it until you've tried another layout. Anyway, here's a link to the thread with my similar question: [www.rodbuilding.org]

Posted by: Les Cline (---)
Date: February 01, 2023 11:01PM

Mike,

Does it BUG you that you feel like you placed the guide too close by an inch? Does it still cast well and meet your standards and needs? (There are really no Absolute Rules about guide placement/spacing. There is, however, testing and recommendations for best performance.)
* If something bugs me enough, I will re-do or fix it so it does not bug me....even if it is okay otherwise and I didn't need to. Even for an inch.

You are a custom builder now! Own it!!!

If your question is something like, "I really don't want to re-work something I already did and feel good about...so tell me it is okay..." Then, "It is okay." How can I argue with what YOU want or need?

On the reality and practical side, I don' think an inch is a major issue with a reduction guide.

Make it the way you feel confident about because you are fishing with it, not anyone else!

And pay more attention next time! Geesh! Haha!

Posted by: roger wilson (---)
Date: February 02, 2023 09:40AM

Mike,
Simply put, this forum is called the Rod building forum.

Anything that is done here and by its users is just fine.

You are building a custom rod. The rod, is your rod, and it is your custom variation.

If you do not like this custom variation, cut it off and redo it. Or, if you are really frustrated - simply throw it in the driveway and drive over it a few times and then it will fit nicely into the garbage can.

Of course this is a statement of a far out solution where most folks would not take with any labor of care and consideration.

A fishing rod can be built any and every way possible. You can put guides on a rod, or not. You can put a reel seat on a rod on it or not. You can put a tip top on a rod or not. You can put a butt cap on a rod or not. You can put pleasing wraps on a rod or not. You can put no fancy wraps on a rod or not.

This is a Custom rod building forum. Anything you do to a fishing rod is just fine. It is just your version of "custom".

--------------------
Summary -
An inch difference in guide placement will not normally make a huge difference in a fishing rods ability to catch thousands of fish.

Your choice if you wish to change it.

One thing that some folks do, is to take such a rod and put it in a closet for several years. Then, one day after all of the memories have faded, they open the closet and find a beautiful rod in front of them. They take the rod out of the closet, put a reel on it and go fishing and really enjoy the new rod that they found lurking in the closet.

Best wishes.

Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: February 02, 2023 09:43AM

I'm assuming you put it too close to the butt guide. Spinning rod, correct? Even if it's a fly rod (stripping guide) an inch probably won't make much difference. However, if this is an issue that is going to get and stay inside your head, you might feel better re-doing it.

Posted by: Norman Miller (Moderator)
Date: February 02, 2023 10:32AM

There is a lot of flexibility in laying out a guide train. The KR GPS gives a good starting point for setting up the reduction train, but it’s not written in stone. You can certainly move guides in or out a little without affecting performance. I do it all the time. Take your rod out and test cast cast it, if you are happy with it then leave it, if unhappy reposition the guides.
Norm

Posted by: Mike W. Anderson (---)
Date: February 02, 2023 10:48AM

This is the first time I have used the KR Concept guide train so I am not familiar with how sensitive it is to moving stuff around. I have only used Microwave guides for the last three years of building. This is a 2-piece Lamiglas GP1000H 8'6 spinning rod I cut down to 8', forgot to mention that before. Cutting these awesome blanks down takes it from a kind of whippy Steelhead rod to a really good inshore fast action rod - 3" off of the butt and tip. The misplacement is going to bother me, but this rod isn't for me, it's for a customer, so that's why I am asking if this *generally* affects casting distances.

Posted by: John DeMartini (---.inf6.spectrum.com)
Date: February 02, 2023 10:54AM

I understand what train you are riding, but, I see no problem with the set up, my advise is to fish with it and have fun.

The only problem is the battle between Mike W. Anderson and inner Mike W. Anderson.

Have fun

Posted by: Daryl Ferguson (---)
Date: February 02, 2023 11:34AM

I’m not yet qualified enough to give you the technical advice you’re looking for. Besides, some smart folks have already addressed that aspect. I’m here to give the mental aspect. I’m very OCD. I’m OCD to the point my friends and family call me Melvin (Udall) whenever I get a little overboard with a seemingly minor thing. Example, every screw on every switch plate in our house is turned vertical. Additionally, I personally think the word symmetry should be anointed as holy, never to be used in a blasphemous manner by anyone.

If you are even remotely wired like I am, fix that guide immediately! If you don’t it will drive you nuts. This will be exacerbated by the fact that you have a twin rod that has the correct spacing. If you don’t fix it, you’ll end up mumbling to yourself at best, and your friends and family will disown you at worst because your incessant complaining about the guide, that you’ll forever address as the work of the devil, will drive them just as batty as you became by not fixing it.

Posted by: Mark Brassett (---)
Date: February 02, 2023 11:58AM

Its one guide. Cut it off and re-wrap it.

Date: February 02, 2023 04:29PM

Mark Brassett Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Its one guide. Cut it off and re-wrap it.

It's one guide that has a decorative wrap and has already been epoxied, so I have decided to not strip it off, was just trying to gauge what ppl though generally about the first reduction guide being off by an inch.

Posted by: Mark Talmo (---)
Date: February 02, 2023 04:39PM

Mike,
First off, 98% of people would not feel a difference; doubtful that 50% would see a difference; but you know it is there 100% of the time. Initially, I thought this was a rod for yourself but now learn it is for a customer. I am highly critical of rods which I build for myself; I am HYPER critical of rods which I build for anyone else! But I am me and you are you = your choice.

Mark Talmo
FISHING IS NOT AN ESCAPE FROM LIFE BUT RATHER A DEEPER IMMERSION INTO IT!!! BUILDING YOUR OWN SIMPLY ENHANCES THE EXPERIENCE.

Date: February 02, 2023 05:01PM

Mark Talmo Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Mike,
> First off, 98% of people would not feel a
> difference; doubtful that 50% would see a
> difference; but you know it is there 100% of the
> time. Initially, I thought this was a rod for
> yourself but now learn it is for a customer. I am
> highly critical of rods which I build for myself;
> I am HYPER critical of rods which I build for
> anyone else! But I am me and you are you = your
> choice.

I explained what happened to my customer and offered a discount and they were more than happy with it. Said they wouldn't have cared anyway and that 1 inch "won't make a @#$%& of difference" for casting. So problem solved.

Posted by: Kendall Cikanek (---)
Date: February 02, 2023 05:39PM

The KR system is based on the first three or four guides falling in the same plane. It's why you put the spool shaft on a straight edge (table or counter edge) and check alignment. This test is pictured below. It will tell you if you are good to go or not. Their GPS uses an algorithm to do this same thing, but rod tapers vary just enough that doing this visual tuning method helps.

[anglersresource.net]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/02/2023 05:51PM by Kendall Cikanek.

Posted by: Lance Schreckenbach (---.lightspeed.hstntx.sbcglobal.net)
Date: February 02, 2023 06:14PM

If the line path and the guide spacing look wrong, then change it. If it doesn't look too bad, leave it alone. I am not a fan of cutting off the tip of a blank. You may want to try a different blank where you don't have to cut the tip off. It will most likely perform better. It is a custom rod and you should do what you want, just a little advice from a grouchy old man.

Posted by: Mark Talmo (---)
Date: February 02, 2023 06:15PM

Mike,
Then issue solved = good (lucky) for you! As long as you learned something, then nothing is lost.

Mark Talmo
FISHING IS NOT AN ESCAPE FROM LIFE BUT RATHER A DEEPER IMMERSION INTO IT!!! BUILDING YOUR OWN SIMPLY ENHANCES THE EXPERIENCE.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster