I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Gen 4 High Build - Amazingly nice to work with!
Posted by: Marc Morrone (---.dynamic.norvado.airstreamcomm.net)
Date: January 31, 2023 06:24PM

I don't post a whole lot due to just being busy. But I tried Gen 4 high build for the first time today and was really impressed!

It didn't start really thin and then thicken noticeably as I worked. It was a nice consistency to work with as soon as mixed - and had a long, even pot life.

Bubbles were near NON-EXISTENT!

After finishing 8 rods with it - I'm sold!

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Gen 4 High Build - Amazingly nice to work with!
Posted by: Thomas Kaufmann (---)
Date: January 31, 2023 06:40PM

It is the best there is IMO!!

Posted by: Mark Hahn (---.26.18.98.static.ip.windstream.net)
Date: February 01, 2023 05:04AM

I was hesitant at first but now that I have built with it....well, I'm sold too.

Posted by: Rick Handrick (165.189.255.---)
Date: February 01, 2023 08:53AM

No heat, no fuss, no bubbles. Great working time - I agree with your comment on the long, even pot life. Flows, applies, and cures wonderfully at temps down to 63-64 degrees. Did I mention crystal clear? It's honestly the product that gave me enough confidence in repeatability of my finishes that I felt comfortable to go get my LLC and start selling rods. Love the stuff.

Posted by: Mike Ballard (---.ip-54-39-133.net)
Date: February 01, 2023 09:17AM

I use a lot of epoxies but most of the time just use Flex Coat. No heat, no fuss and no bubbles. Levels great. I do not understand all these supposed issues that people are having with the epoxies they use. I don't have these issues with any of them.

Posted by: Daryl Ferguson (---)
Date: February 01, 2023 11:50AM

Hmmm, I'm gonna have to give this Gen 4 stuff a try if it's getting this kind of high praise.

I used ProKote on my first rod build because that's what came in the rod building kit I purchased from Mud Hole. But, I only have about 5 ccs of each part left. It came in the 24cc syringes. I mixed more than I ended up needing. I put on two coats and just figured it was better to mix too much vs. not enough. Anyway, I went to order more and they were out so I bought the Flex Coat Original High Build in the 24 cc preloaded syringe. Hopefully, it'll be just easy to work with as the ProKote is. I did email Mud Hole to see if I could use what's left of my ProKote on the first, or second coat and use the Flex Coat on the other. I wouldn't think it would be an issue, but just want to make sure.

Date: February 01, 2023 12:14PM

I never really had issues with other epoxies - it's just that Gen 4 is so repeatable, much less sensitive to environmental factors, and a really good fit for me in terms of pot life/workability. It just works for me, and I have to think about it much less than other epoxies I've used in the past.

Flex Coat is a very good product as well - it's obviously the "original" guide wrap epoxy. I used to use LS Supreme and found that one to be nice, I preferred it to the FC for my tastes.

You can put your FC over the Pro Kote with no issues.

Posted by: Daryl Ferguson (---)
Date: February 01, 2023 12:44PM

Rick Handrick Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I never really had issues with other epoxies -
> it's just that Gen 4 is so repeatable, much less
> sensitive to environmental factors, and a really
> good fit for me in terms of pot life/workability.
> It just works for me, and I have to think about it
> much less than other epoxies I've used in the
> past.
>
> Flex Coat is a very good product as well - it's
> obviously the "original" guide wrap epoxy. I used
> to use LS Supreme and found that one to be nice, I
> preferred it to the FC for my tastes.
>
> You can put your FC over the Pro Kote with no
> issues.

Being new, I'm all for trying different products. I wanted to order more ProKote because I had a little left from the first rod build, but when they were out I just took a chance that I could put another brand on top of the ProKote. Thanks for assuring me there's no issue with that!

Date: February 01, 2023 03:32PM

no problem!

Posted by: Marc Morrone (---.dynamic.norvado.airstreamcomm.net)
Date: February 01, 2023 05:07PM

I didn't have huge issues with other stuff. I can pretty much work with anything, they are all just a little different handling. BUT - Gen 4 is just flat out amazing in all the little (and not so little) details.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster