I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Pages: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2
Re: 6' to 6-3" blank for BFS for Stream Smallmouth
Posted by: Kevin Fiant (---)
Date: February 02, 2023 08:10AM

Thanks Norm Miller for the great explanation on the butt section and the reaming nuances of Point Blanks and other blanks. Makes perfect sense. I have learned tons from you and the many other builders on this site.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Josh Johnson (---)
Date: February 02, 2023 03:05PM

For what it’s worth, just built a new smallie rod on the Rainshadow Revelation 6’2” ML spinning blank. Haven’t had a chance to get it on the water yet but it’s an awesome feeling setup and very pleased with the rods backbone and what feels like a good tip section.

Posted by: Kendall Cikanek (---)
Date: February 02, 2023 05:22PM

I ream Point Blanks from both ends and stop slightly shy at the front. Then, test fit (make sure you don’t have grit in the grip bore) and see where the middle part of the grip fails to clear. Remove and put a thinner part of the reamer there. It shouldn’t be tight to the grip at either end. The next smaller diameter reamer works great. Spin the grip with a little hand pressure at that location. After a few spins the grip should fit right for its entire length. This takes down the high spot left in the middle as a result of the tapered reamer going into both ends. Leaving the front shy at first prevents over reaming it.

Posted by: Marc Morrone (---.dsl.airstreamcomm.net)
Date: February 03, 2023 07:27AM

I do a lot of this type fishing, and have used a good variety of blanks. The MHX Shooter in the Lite power is really hard to beat - very light, nice tip, good backbone. It actually feels lighter in hand than the SJ720 due to little larger diameter. Many of the others are just a bit too stiff in the tip.

Posted by: Matt Ruggie (---)
Date: February 03, 2023 12:58PM

Good to know Marc thx. im always on the lookout for stream and river smallmouth blanks.

Posted by: Marc Morrone (---.dynamic.norvado.airstreamcomm.net)
Date: February 03, 2023 02:05PM

You bet - that blank is sort of low profile, but it's a great little walleye jig stick too!

Date: February 03, 2023 03:17PM

Matt Ruggie Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Good to know Marc thx. im always on the lookout
> for stream and river smallmouth blanks.

The selection for what I most like for river smallmouth rods is getting thin. The 7’6 - 8’0 light powered rods allow for longer casts and more depth control (plus sensitivity) than do the shorter rods. St. Croix made so many of these blanks and aren’t anymore. The Eternity and RX8 series don’t feature one. Point Blanks doesn’t offer any. The Iron Feather series is $$$$$. The XRay series is without this segment. This is the only option catching my interest (NFC SJ-762-1). Has anyone built and used one for river smallmouth fishing?

[northforkcomposites.com]

Date: February 03, 2023 08:03PM

Kendal. St Croix/rodgeeks did just add the bass 3 line and have a 710MLXF and a shorter version 73MLXF that could be extended...of course they still have the SCV 76MLXF offered.

when i was reseaeching a dedicated smallie hairjig rod, i was considering some of these longer 7'6"ML blanks with fast to XF tips.

check out some of the hotshot blanks from NFC and MHX SJ9000

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/03/2023 08:09PM by Matt Ruggie.

Date: February 04, 2023 10:45AM

Thanks Matt, I just at the Bass3 series after your post. The tables on this blank line crosswalk directly to the Victory rods for every blank. I doubt that’s a coincidence.

Date: February 04, 2023 11:46AM

yeah not a coincidence at all. I was glad to see the addition of the SC3 blanks.

Got to handle a few factory victory rods yesterday. they didnt have any 73MLXF but got to shake the 73MXF and the 71MF. Really liked the action on the MXf, as ya might expect its like an extended 68MXF.

Pages: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster