I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

NFC and Fly Lines
Posted by: Bubba Powers (192.183.180.---)
Date: January 30, 2023 11:03AM

Has anyone tested the Northfork LMXFAF 1004-4 Fly rods to see what lines they like the best? Looking for info from others to see if they stay true to weight or if they like over sized lines.. Thanks

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/30/2023 12:49PM by Bubba Powers.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: NFC and Fly Lines
Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: January 30, 2023 02:39PM

The amount of line you serialize beyond the tip will determine what line weight you need on it.

Posted by: Michael Danek (---.alma.mi.frontiernet.net)
Date: January 30, 2023 06:37PM

The length of line you are casting will determine what line weight you need on it.

Every fly rod blank I've tested for CCS has tested almost into the next line weight class. So unless you are going to be making very long casts, I think a 5 weight line would be a good place to start. I have not tested any NFC fly blanks.

Would be nice to have CCS data on it, wouldn't it?

Posted by: david taylor (---)
Date: January 30, 2023 06:37PM

What type of fishing are you planning on doing with the rod?

Date: January 30, 2023 06:42PM

Thanks

Date: January 30, 2023 06:44PM

Rainbows and Cutthroats

Date: January 30, 2023 07:30PM

Bubba, the issue is how long do you think you will be casting? The shorter the cast, the higher the line number, the longer the cast the lower the line number. No one can answer your original question without knowing your preferred casting distance. If short, go high on line number. I long, go lower. I predict the rod you mention will be on the high side for power based on all other fly blanks I've tested.

Posted by: Bill Hickey (---.nycap.res.rr.com)
Date: January 30, 2023 08:22PM

Isn’t that a Czech nymphing blank? If you bought it with the intention of Czech nymphing, there are specialty lines suited to that style of fishing and they don’t typically work well with dries. Czech nymphing has a very specific rigging, most anglers employing this method don’t have any fly line outside of the rod tip, typically all leader and leaders vary considerably depending on which Euro style your going with, there is a gang of them.

That blank will work for dries, finding a line that hits the sweet spot for you, tough to pin point a line. My recommendation, visit a fly shop and ask if they have lines for you to test drive. Most reputable shops do, just return the favor by purchasing the line from them.

Posted by: Bubba Powers (209.33.22.---)
Date: January 30, 2023 09:45PM

Michael, Thanx for the clarification I was a little confused, about 30feet is all I really have to cast but further would be ok just not easy to fish for me. I tend to lose that battle more often than not. I was hoping someone as Bill had mentioned found the sweet spot already and might save me some time, but I do have some different lines and I will figure it out here in a bit. I had been using some MHX 10' 4 wts and just switched to the NFC's to try them awhile, build 6 of em but hadnt got a chance to cast any.. been to cold. Thanxs everyone your input has been great and I appreciate it..! (Michael would you still start with a 140 grain line?)

Date: January 30, 2023 10:33PM

(Michael would you still start with a 140 grain line?)

If it's a Czech nymphing blank, I'm not qualified to comment. I was commenting from the perspective of having tested many conventional fly rods and found them all on the high side of their stated line rating, and if one would be casting about 30 feet, then the lline wt corresponding to their ERN would be a good place to start. And as I mentioned, most ERN's of the conventional rods I've tested are almost one weight above their stated line weight rating.

Posted by: Bubba Powers (209.33.22.---)
Date: January 30, 2023 11:22PM

Ok Thanks

Posted by: Kevin Earls (---.biz.spectrum.com)
Date: February 01, 2023 11:32PM

I built that on that blank and a 4wt Rio Gold is a solid match.

Date: February 02, 2023 10:11AM

Awesome Kevin, Thats what I was looking for I appreciate it..!

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster