I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Pages: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
Fly Rod Striper Guides
Posted by: Tom Wood (76.151.207.---)
Date: January 30, 2023 09:12AM

I'm new to fly rod building and could use some advice on striper guides. I am preparing to build a 9'9wt. rod using snake guides. I am not sure of what striper guides to use . Are these simply casting guides or is there a specific style for fly rods?

Many thanks

Tom Wood

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/30/2023 09:13AM by Tom Wood.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Fly Rod Striper Guides
Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: January 30, 2023 09:14AM

A guide is a guide. Most commercially made fly rods utilize a low frame casting rod guide in that position. I have always preferred a higher framed spinning rod guide for the stripping guide on a fly rod. Doubtful it makes much difference, however. Either works fine.

Posted by: Michael Danek (---.alma.mi.frontiernet.net)
Date: January 30, 2023 09:29AM

One common occurance is using stripper guides larger than necessary. Not a functional problem, but they cost more and take up more room in a rod case. I used a 20 on a son's rod at his request, a 12 on mine, identical 8 wt blanks, and I don't think there is a difference in how they cast and clear line. Maybe a fly expert will chime in on the right sizes for the first two. I use titanium for salt water .

Posted by: Lance Schreckenbach (107.1.212.---)
Date: January 30, 2023 04:04PM

Here are three different choices that I have done for stripper guides.

1) Fuji KW 20 or 16 with the following KW 10.

2) Seaguide TiXTG 20 or 16 with the following TiXTG 10.

3) REC Cerecoil Double Foot CSG 20 with the following CSG 10.

If it is for saltwater get Titanium frames.

Date: January 30, 2023 04:10PM

Thanks so much. It is for salt water and I will follow your good advice. I had planned on going with a 20,16, followed with six 3s. Will adding a 10 benefit casting?

Posted by: Bill Hickey (---.nycap.res.rr.com)
Date: January 30, 2023 05:26PM

On a 9wt, a 16 is plenty big enough, follow that with 2 #4’s and #3’s rest of way out. No need to use the same style as your stripper guide for the second running guide. All it does is add extra weight to the blank. Just make sure you are using guides rated for Saltwater use. If you’re using Snake Brand, just use the ECO coated Universals or go with the REC Brand Recoils.

Posted by: Herb Ladenheim (---.68.237.4.hwccustomers.com)
Date: January 30, 2023 05:40PM

Tom,
Eight guides on a 9'0" fly rod would be very unusual.
Usual is 10 guides - at least.
Herb

Date: January 30, 2023 06:04PM

Thanks so much, I forgot to mention a 5 and a 4along with the threes.

Date: January 30, 2023 06:05PM

Got it,

Many thanks

Tom

Posted by: david taylor (---)
Date: January 30, 2023 06:44PM

On a 9 wt rod I would use two stripper guides: a 16 and a 12. From there you can go to snake guides and your choice to taper them or just use one size. A 9foot 9 wt should have 10 or 11 guides on it.

16-12-5-4-3-3-3-3-3-3
16-12-3-3-3-3-3-3-3-3 or
16-12-4-4-4-4-4-4-4-4

The blank you purchased should have a guide placement chart available. What is the blank?

Posted by: Lance Schreckenbach (107.1.212.---)
Date: January 30, 2023 08:00PM

Tom Wood Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Thanks so much. It is for salt water and I will
> follow your good advice. I had planned on going
> with a 20,16, followed with six 3s. Will adding a
> 10 benefit casting?

I believe in a more rapid reduction on the strippers much like a spinning rod. The larger 20 mm ring is for errant cast where your hand is farther from the blank. It gathers the line with the least amount of resistance. The next 10 mm ring controls the wave in the line and straightens it out. A larger 2nd guide ring will allow the wave to continue to the next guide and it will slow the line down. If you keep your hand close to the blank and can control the line better, then a 16 mm ring will work fine, but I would still do the 10 mm ring for the next guide. I would do close to what David is doing. Mine would and has been a double foot (DF) 20 mm or 16 mm, DF10 mm, and the rest REC DF snake guides. I do not like plated guides because the will eventually corrode in saltwater. The RECs are a Titanium nickel allow that won't corrode and are not plated. If you do use the REC Cerecoil guides for strippers, the ring is fairly thick, so a 20 mm ring is more restricted on the ID. That is why I did not recommend 16 mm ring in that particular guide.

20-10-strippers 5-4-4-4-4-4-4-4 running guides and large loop tip top.

16-10-Strippers 5-4-4-4-4-3-3-3 Running guides " "

I put the 3 DF snakes on the tip just to lighten it up a little. You could just do all 4s as running guides and not really notice a difference. I like the 5 to create a more straight line path to the 4s.

Posted by: Bill Hickey (---.nycap.res.rr.com)
Date: January 30, 2023 08:04PM

Keep the size changes down to 3. Your final size, just needs to be enough to pass your line to leader connection. On 8wts to 10wts, #3 work for most. Oversizing guides does not gain you anything except added weight. The goal is to create the straightest line path that will allow line connections to pass without a hang up when you are fighting a fish.

Yes, on factory rods you’ll see more than 3 sizes of guides, they do it that way for aesthetics.

Second guide is not a stripper, it’s a running guide regardless of frame style.

Date: January 30, 2023 08:07PM

Bill Hickey Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------

> Second guide is not a stripper, it’s a running
> guide regardless of frame style.

Correct. There is only one stripping guide on any fly rod. It's the first one past the reel, regardless of whether is'a ceramic or other type.

Date: January 31, 2023 06:37AM

Thanks to all for the great advice. The tip is 1.8mm, should I use a standard, large or extra large tip top?

Date: January 31, 2023 07:29AM

The tiptop doesn't need to be any larger than your last guide, but I would not go smaller than your last guide.

Posted by: Richard Bowers (---.ptld.qwest.net)
Date: January 31, 2023 01:52PM

Tom,

I have been using the AT Microwave Stripper guides and absolutely LOVE them!, they go on ALL of my fly rod builds from now to when I stop building rods! I had to back off on my casting because I was over-casting my targets, and I am a marginal fly-caster! They come in two sizes, 18/8 and 12/6. I would use the 18/8 in your application.

The format of the guide assists the collection of the loose line and shoots it through more efficiently than a regular stripper guide. I consistently get 5 to 10 extra feet per cast, and there is no affect on accuracy. While they may weigh more that a basic double-foot casting guide, that isn't an issue in the butt section of a fly rod. The weight issues for a fly rod are at the upper end where excessive weight directly affects blank recovery.

Rich

Date: January 31, 2023 05:20PM

Thanks Rich, for recommending the AT Microwave alternative. I have two rods to build and will likely use the AT on the one I'm keeping.

TYom

Posted by: Tim Scott (---.source.akaquill.net)
Date: January 31, 2023 08:34PM

I have been going smaller on the strippers of late. My last 9 was cerecoil 16-10-3-3-……. Just started wrapping a 7 with 12-8-2’s. (Maybe1’s :) )

I don’t notice any difference casting ,but my distance is also not what it once was.

Curious if folks are getting breakage with recoil double feet or just the single?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/01/2023 03:48PM by Tim Scott.

Posted by: Mike Ballard (---.ip-54-39-133.net)
Date: February 01, 2023 09:18AM

A 16 is about as large as you would ever need to go for any fly rod including blue water fly rods.

Posted by: Les Cline (---)
Date: February 01, 2023 02:31PM

I agree, Mike!

My 12 wt. sailfish fly rod starts with a 16 stripper and it is plenty.

Pages: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster