I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Elasticized Wraps
Posted by: Jack Duncan (---.sd.sd.cox.net)
Date: January 29, 2023 04:57PM

One of the rod building outlets I buy from on line carries Hitena elasticized wrapping thread. My curiosity has kicked in, and I'm wondering if any of you have tried elasticized thread, or use it regularly. If so, please comment pro or con.
Thanks, Jack

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Elasticized Wraps
Posted by: roger wilson (---)
Date: January 29, 2023 05:32PM

Jack,
Standard nylon thread already has stretch.

Poly thread does not have stretch.

If you do use a stretch thread, run a really high thread tension to insure that you have removed all of the stretch from the thread.

Take care

Posted by: roger wilson (---)
Date: January 29, 2023 05:45PM

You can run your own thread stretch tests.

Have a solid place to tie on your thread. Have it sitting over a table with a ruler on the table. Start with a 5 foot length of thread. Snug it up so that you have the line just pulled straight. This will be your zero point. Then, to be exact, hook in a spring scale and pull all of your test threads to the same spring scale resistance like 3 lbs. Note the amount of stretch for each line.

Let us know what you find out.

For example, if you take a standard braided nylon 1/4 inch 100 foot line, you will have between 5 and 6 feet of stretch.
However, if you take the same 1/4 inch 100 foot braided poly line, you will have less than 1 foot of stretch. .

The smaller ropes, called thread will have similar stretch properties.

Posted by: Spencer Phipps (---)
Date: January 29, 2023 07:22PM

Elasticized thread as far as I know is used in crafts such as beading, necklaces, and bracelets.

Posted by: Richard Bowers (---.ptld.qwest.net)
Date: January 31, 2023 02:01PM

Jack,

You need to be careful with elasticized thread. The more times the thread goes around the blank, more pressure is added, with the potential for crushing the blank. This was a problem in the 60's when I began building rods, and while the rod didn't fail during the build, the stresses of casting or fighting a fish could trigger the failure where the guide foot broke through the blank. I have repaired some of these failures.

I typically use nylon thread these days, and the stretch factor is controlled by my tension control. I try to make the wrap tight enough so the guide doesn't shift accidentally, but can be aligned with a decent amount of pressure. A delicate balance, to be sure!

Rich

Posted by: Les Cline (---)
Date: January 31, 2023 02:44PM

I agree that elastic thread is a NO GO for me, too, with rod work. Yes. Everything stretches to some degree (even concrete and steel and the surface of Planet Earth).

Controlling the stretch is useful to me in a few ways:

1.) I can control the width/diameter of each thread when I wrap. Stretched threads get thinner the more they are stretched. I am human and cannot, by hand, apply the exact same stretch amount over the few hundred wraps required to cover multiple guides and adornments on a rod. I want my threads to lay down evenly, side-by-side. Makes burnishing easier, too. The finished wraps look 'solid' and tight with consistent thread diameters.

2.) I can control the tension applied with a less stretchy thread more readily. Stretchy thread would leave me wondering if I put it on 'tight enough' and I may put it on tighter than I need or is good for the health of my blank (as Richard Bowers wisely noted).

3.) Lastly, while challenging long-standing practices is great and may provide a break-through that changes everything (Galileo comes to mind for epic challenges in history that worked out), some of that 'wisdom of the ages' has stood the test of time for a reason. I usually default to, "Test it out for yourself and see how it goes" for most things (excluding injecting heroine or other risky behaviors). But in this case, I think Roger, Spencer, and Richard have set you on a good path. Use thread that is made for rod work, IMO. (Yes, some embroidery threads are used for trim bands and the like. That's fine. Embellishments aren't carrying the main load.)

Save the stretchy thread for another purpose, IMO. (Securing a bait or egg-sac to a hook, test placement of guides, a fancy Turducken dish, etc.)

Posted by: Thomas Bell (---)
Date: February 01, 2023 02:23PM

Are you taking about the regular ST wrap tread from Hitena?
If so I don't think there is any problem.
I use it for every rod I do and really like it. There is a little stretch that comes in handy at times.
I'm using a Pac Bay spring loaded thread carriage with no issues.
It's the best thread I've used.

TJB

Posted by: Thomas Bell (---)
Date: February 01, 2023 02:55PM

Roger, why would you wrap so tight that you remove all stretch?

TJB

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster