I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Japanese style grip assembly repair
Posted by: Kendall Cikanek (---)
Date: January 28, 2023 07:11PM

I had a foam lined real seat insert fail on a favorite SCV rod build from a few years ago. I chose to remove the seat, rear grip, and butt cap over removing and rewrapping most of the guides. I built a new rear assembly on a 14.5 inch long Matagi carbon tube. This is how many custom rods are originally built in Japan. I used a lighter cap and reel seat to bring the weight gain down to six grams. The dry wall tape shims between the tube and blank would add more weight than the original reamer fitted grip due to the epoxy. Some of that is gained back by less grip material resulting from the 15mm diameter tube. The balance point is very close to the original rod. Has anyone done this procedure? Are there any thoughts on doing this kind of repair over removing the guides?

Thanks,

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Japanese style grip assembly repair
Posted by: Daryl Ferguson (---)
Date: January 28, 2023 09:28PM

I have not heard of that specifically, but plenty of folks remove the butt cap and handle, cut off the old reel seat, and then put a new reel seat that’s one or two sizes larger to fit over the butt of the blank, then just build up the arbors and epoxy it on.

I’m curious where your balance point ended up in relation to the reel. Thanks!

Date: January 28, 2023 09:41PM

Without the reel mounted it moved about a 1/4 inch. The lighter butt cap probably prevented a little more change. With reel on it’s probably negligible. There is more weight rear ward, I don’t know in January how much it will be noticed when fishing.

Posted by: Daryl Ferguson (---)
Date: January 28, 2023 10:36PM

I can’t imagine it being noticeable in fishing conditions.

Posted by: Norman Miller (Moderator)
Date: January 28, 2023 11:03PM

When you say a 15 mm diameter CF tube, do you mean ID or OD? If OD that’s a pretty skinny handle. That’s the size of many carbon fiber reel seat inserts for siev16 reel seats. Many handle ODs are about 27 mm (1.063”).
Norm

Date: January 28, 2023 11:10PM

That’s OD. It fits perfectly inside several reel seats, in this case the SeaGuide Alien CCF. I reamed a CFX casting grip to a straight 15mm bore by putting the taper through both ends and then using a small reamer with hand pressure to take down the middle. The one piece tube is both the seat and the grip insert.

Posted by: Norman Miller (Moderator)
Date: January 29, 2023 12:16AM

Ok I got it. Sounds interesting. You didn’t mention the part about the rear CFX grip, now I understand. What did you use for the fighting butt/butt cap.
Norm

Date: January 29, 2023 01:05AM

I use the SeaGuide one as it’s light and the right diameter for the CFX grip. I use VooDoo Dust mixed with rod finish to tint the cap insert. Next, I use a paint pen to write lure weight range, my initials, and the rod action. Then, I cover that with clear rod finish. This prevents needing to put a label on the blank. It adds a custom touch with minimal weight in the best spot for it. The inserts tape easily to a PVC pipe stub to insert into the drying motor. It might be better just to write the blank code for resale purposes, but all someone will need to readily know in the future for fishing is lure weight range and action. Line weight is really personal preference with diameter often being more important than test rating.

Posted by: Matt Ruggie (---)
Date: February 23, 2023 10:32PM

I've done 2 like that. No issues whatsoever. On the one I left the casting seat and just built the grips on the tube. DW tape arbors just as ya described. The other was an all new handle/reel seat assembled on the tube. Any added weight is from the reel seat back and if anything just helps with balancing the rod.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster