I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Pages: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
A premature thanks from a new rod builder
Posted by: Ryan Brunner (---.res.spectrum.com)
Date: January 26, 2023 10:14PM

Good evening all,

I'm very excited to register on the site after lurking for about a month now. Getting into rod building has been something I've been considering for a while now and I've spent that last few months becoming a student of the game so to say, reading as much as I can on this site and through the great resources on YouTube. The pages and pages here in the vault at rodbuilding.org are loaded with great information and this seems like a great group of passionate people to be a part of.

I'm a Midwest guy through and through, pursuing walleye, musky and panfish primarily, with the sprinkled in brook trout days mixed in here and there. My motivation to begin this adventure is strictly personal: to build high quality rods customized to my wants/needs and to further my fishing passion. If I become skilled enough at it, I'd love to help friends and family out as well. Spinning rods will be my primary focus.

Having now received my tools, materials and finally first blank today, I'm ready to dive in head first and and am excited to do so. While I feel ready to begin, I have one question that I'm hoping to get clarification on. My thought is to really take my time on my first few builds and not rush anything. Having a busy work life and family life may only find me able to work on things slowly and I'm wondering if I can let my guide wraps sit for any length of time before applying the thread finish on them. I envision guide wrapping to go over the course of a few days and just have this little worry in the back of my head that leaving them sit for a few days before applying finish could be bad. But not finding any information or concern on this from other, maybe I'm totally overthinking this.

I appreciate any feedback!

Ryan

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: A premature thanks from a new rod builder
Posted by: Ross Pearson (---.dlth.qwest.net)
Date: January 26, 2023 11:48PM

Having the rod sit indefinitely before finishing is not a problem as long it is in a relatively clean and dust free area. Take all the time you need and enjoy the learning experience and be satisfied with the guide alignment and appearance before putting on the finish.

Posted by: Lance Schreckenbach (107.1.212.---)
Date: January 27, 2023 02:08PM

Wrap all your guides first, they can sit a while, you may have to blow some dust off or whatever gets on them. You can also adjust the straightness of your wrapped guides before epoxying. Just be careful not to let the wrap unravel. You can also repack the thread with a burnishing tool if you get gaps when adjusting the guides. After adjusting and repacking / burnishing, I will apply any color protector if I am going to use it. This will help set the guides from moving when you do apply the wrapping epoxy. You got this, there are far more harder things.

Posted by: Daryl Ferguson (---)
Date: January 27, 2023 02:29PM

If you still have blank packaging, carefully slip it back into the protective plastic sleeve to keep the dust off of it until you’re ready to apply the epoxy.

Posted by: Ronald Atchley (96.125.236.---)
Date: January 27, 2023 03:06PM

Welcome to the forum Ryan.
You've already received excellent advice . All that I might add is that I hope you're able to take your time and not rush on more than your first few builds :) This is way too enjoyable to do otherwise .
Glad you're on board .
Ron

Posted by: Les Cline (---)
Date: January 27, 2023 03:42PM

Ryan,

Great tip from Daryl right there!

I also save the little rod card that is attached to the top of the bag, write the rod specs on it, and carefully staple or tape the decal inside of it. (I have lost track of a few decals before; having it inside the rod card makes it easier to see.)

Savor the moments! Work at your own pace! It's exciting!

Posted by: Ryan Brunner (---.mayo.edu)
Date: January 27, 2023 05:02PM

Thanks for the great feedback from all! As the grip and reel seat are curing now, I've saved the sleeve for when I begin wrapping guides next week.

It's already looking beautiful and I can see how this can become an addiction.

Date: January 27, 2023 07:00PM

Addictive. You got that right!

If you haven't already, school yourself on the Common Cents System (CCS) and all the tutorial videos and calculators on the Angler's Resource site. Both links are in the left hand margin of the forum.

These sites broadened my mental framework around the cutting edges of the rod-building craft.

Hope to see you around the forum!

Posted by: roger wilson (---)
Date: January 28, 2023 09:54AM

Ryan,
Simply put, if leaving your work for a short or a long time, simply cover your work with a plastic or other covering as needed to keep your work free of contamination. You can leave the work for 10 or 20 years if you like and pick it up when you have time available to finish the job.

Take care

Date: January 28, 2023 11:53AM

I'm new too Ryan so wait for one of the experienced builders to confirm this, but when you decide to apply the epoxy finish make sure you have plenty of time to finish the job completely. I'm pretty certain I read that if you wait too long in between coats, the second coat won't bond (or, perhaps blend is the better term) with the first coat. In other words, don't put do your first coat and then put the rod away for a week before you do the second coat.

Date: January 28, 2023 12:36PM

I think Daryl is right about applying the second coat of thread epoxy within 48 hours of the first coat. Epoxy takes some time to fully cure so a second coat can still chemically bond with the first coat if applied within approx. 48 hours.

If I have no other choice but to wait longer, I use a Scotchbrite pad to rough-up the existing, cured epoxy before the second coat is applied.

Posted by: David Baylor (---.res6.spectrum.com)
Date: January 28, 2023 01:12PM

If you even need a second coat. I currently use high build formula wrap finish, so one coat is an accepted practice with high build finish. But, when I first started building rods I use a standard build epoxy where in their instructions, they suggested using two coats. Well, I have two rods that I only used one coat of the epoxy that recommended using two coats, and those rods are just fine. One of them is even a high powered rod that I use for flipping and pitching to heavy cover.

As long as you have good coverage on your wraps, I don't see why you'd even need a second coat of any kind of epoxy. The epoxy is just more or less there to protect the thread from damage. And while the first coat may add a bit of strength from the epoxy bonding with the blank's surface, a second coat is only going to bond to the first coat.

So if you're happy with your wraps after one coat. I don't see a reason for a second coat. Unless of course you're using it to build visual depth to a wrap.

Date: January 28, 2023 02:19PM

David Baylor Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> If you even need a second coat. I currently use
> high build formula wrap finish, so one coat is an
> accepted practice with high build finish. But,
> when I first started building rods I use a
> standard build epoxy where in their instructions,
> they suggested using two coats. Well, I have two
> rods that I only used one coat of the epoxy that
> recommended using two coats, and those rods are
> just fine. One of them is even a high powered rod
> that I use for flipping and pitching to heavy
> cover.
>
> As long as you have good coverage on your wraps, I
> don't see why you'd even need a second coat of any
> kind of epoxy. The epoxy is just more or less
> there to protect the thread from damage. And while
> the first coat may add a bit of strength from the
> epoxy bonding with the blank's surface, a second
> coat is only going to bond to the first coat.
>
> So if you're happy with your wraps after one coat.
> I don't see a reason for a second coat. Unless of
> course you're using it to build visual depth to a
> wrap.

Is the high build you’re using from Flex Coat?

Date: January 29, 2023 07:38AM

Daryl, yes, I currently use Flex Coat high build Ultra V. I've used it on my last 5 builds and like it a lot. Prior to switching to the Flex Coat I was using U40 LS Supreme. Both their standard build and their high build. It was the standard build version of LS Supreme I referenced using only one coat of, in my prior post.

They've all been really nice finishes to work with. The only reason I gave the Flex Coat a try is that I was hoping it would be less resistant to yellowing in the bottle. And it is. By quite a bit actually.

Posted by: Daryl Ferguson (---.mycingular.net)
Date: January 29, 2023 10:11AM

David Baylor Wrote:
> Daryl, yes, I currently use Flex Coat high build
> Ultra V. I've used it on my last 5 builds and like
> it a lot. Prior to switching to the Flex Coat I
> was using U40 LS Supreme. Both their standard
> build and their high build. It was the standard
> build version of LS Supreme I referenced using
> only one coat of, in my prior post.
>
> They've all been really nice finishes to work
> with. The only reason I gave the Flex Coat a try
> is that I was hoping it would be less resistant to
> yellowing in the bottle. And it is. By quite a bit
> actually.

I don’t want to hijack the thread so maybe I’ll start another, but I’ve only used Pro Kote so far. I don’t have any real gripes, but wonder if it wouldn’t be better if it just a tiny bit thicker (easier to get a slightly thicker coat).

Posted by: Chuck Brezen (---.client.mchsi.com)
Date: February 01, 2023 01:16PM

My biggest mistake I made when starting out was putting on too much finish. It is always better to put on 2 thin coats than to glop on one trying to get it perfect. One added advantage of 2 coats is if you have any blemishes or tags on guides...etc, you can trim or file them off and cover with another thin second coat to get them perfect.

Chuck

><))))">….><))))">….><))))">….Just Fish

Prior Lake Rod Building Guild
Instagram @pl_rod_building_guild

Date: February 01, 2023 02:14PM

Chuck Brezen Wrote:
> My biggest mistake I made when starting out was
> putting on too much finish. It is always better
> to put on 2 thin coats than to glop on one trying
> to get it perfect. One added advantage of 2 coats
> is if you have any blemishes or tags on
> guides...etc, you can trim or file them off and
> cover with another thin second coat to get them
> perfect.
>
> Chuck

Yes, I had to file a couple of spots on my first rod. I used the fine side of an emery board and then just wiped it off good before doing the second coat. Filing a spot will leave it chalky looking, but that covers right up as soon as put the second coat on. You'd never find where I filed now that the rod is finished.

Date: February 01, 2023 05:20PM

Glad you guys are finding what works for you, And that's what counts.

As for me, I am pretty much opposite of what you guys are doing. I started building, I tried to be too perfect with the amount of finish I put on as a first coat, and it caused me problems. The main one being that I was taking too long to get the finish on, and it was thickening quite a bit in the mixing cup.

I always start at the butt end of the rod and work my way towards the tip. By time I got to the tip the finish had thickened and the thicker finish actually made those wraps come out better. A lot of times I wouldn't even put a second coat on the running guides because they had good coverage, and looked good. Having that kind of result with a little thicker finish, is what caused me to give high build finish a try. I like it, so that's what I use now.

Daryl, I have never used Pro Kote, but I have seen others, on this site and other rod building related forums, that mention that Pro Kote is pretty thin. So maybe give some standard build or high build finish from a different manufacturer, and see if you like it. It's money well spent if it works for you.

Date: February 01, 2023 07:15PM

David Baylor Wrote:
> Glad you guys are finding what works for you, And
> that's what counts.
>
> As for me, I am pretty much opposite of what you
> guys are doing. I started building, I tried to be
> too perfect with the amount of finish I put on as
> a first coat, and it caused me problems. The main
> one being that I was taking too long to get the
> finish on, and it was thickening quite a bit in
> the mixing cup.
>
> I always start at the butt end of the rod and work
> my way towards the tip. By time I got to the tip
> the finish had thickened and the thicker finish
> actually made those wraps come out better. A lot
> of times I wouldn't even put a second coat on the
> running guides because they had good coverage, and
> looked good. Having that kind of result with a
> little thicker finish, is what caused me to give
> high build finish a try. I like it, so that's what
> I use now.
>
> Daryl, I have never used Pro Kote, but I have seen
> others, on this site and other rod building
> related forums, that mention that Pro Kote is
> pretty thin. So maybe give some standard build or
> high build finish from a different manufacturer,
> and see if you like it. It's money well spent if
> it works for you.

David, I ordered some of the Flex Coat High Build you mentioned in another post. I'm going to give it a try. I was going to get the UV, but they were out so I just got the original stuff. I'll report my thoughts as to how it compares to the ProKote. One tip I got from watching a video is to poor the finish onto aluminum foil. It's supposed to extend the pot life. Since it was my first rod, I don't know what normal is so I don't know if it extended it or not, but I did finish the entire rod and it was the same consistency from start to finish.

Posted by: Norman Miller (Moderator)
Date: February 01, 2023 07:32PM

ProKote has a very long pot life compared to other finishes, and takes a long time to cure. Flex coat will have a shorter pot life and will cure faster. So, you should notice a difference between the two.
Norm

Pages: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster