I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

25 or 30 guide size
Posted by: John Duncan (---.hsd1.fl.comcast.net)
Date: January 26, 2023 02:49AM

What would be guidelines when choosing the first spinning guide :
Reel size , spool ?
2500-3000-4000 ?

Thanks

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: 25 or 30 guide size
Posted by: Michael Danek (---.alma.mi.frontiernet.net)
Date: January 26, 2023 06:11AM

Depends on the line expected to be used. Go to Anglersresource.net , click on it in the left margin, and check out their softwares, two of them. I use reels up to 4000 and use KLH 20's for almost all my spin with lines up to 20 pound test braid (a premium braid).

Posted by: Michael Tarr (50.238.140.---)
Date: January 26, 2023 07:31AM

I use the KR concept. The links below may help for some learning.

[www.fujitackle.eu]

[anglersresource.net]

Posted by: Roger Templon (---.paw.cpe.atlanticbb.net)
Date: January 26, 2023 08:52AM

John

I would think that a #25 stripper guide would be just fine in most cases !

Rog

Posted by: Mike Ballard (68.235.61.---)
Date: January 26, 2023 09:36AM

Reel spool and line type are the key. With braid I would try a tall #20 butt guide on the 2500 and 3000. For mono a tall #25 for them. At least a tall #25 on the 4000 and I think you may find you get better line flow with a #30. You can reduce down quickly from there.

Posted by: Mark Hahn (---.26.18.98.static.ip.windstream.net)
Date: January 26, 2023 11:34AM

It depends on not only the reel size but the type of line and the application. A mono line can require a larer guide than braid. And a surf rod will likely be different than spinning rod. Even spinning rods would vary depending on the use; sail fishing as compared to inshore fishing.

Posted by: Norman Miller (Moderator)
Date: January 26, 2023 11:55AM

Depends on whether you are doing a NGC or KR concept set up, as well as the type and size line you are going to use. In general, if using mono above 12 lb test or braid greater than 30 lb test, then yes a NGC layout. I would use a size 25Y butt guide for the size 2500, and 3000 reels, and a size 30Y for the 4000 reel. If using braid up to 30 lb test, I would use a KR concept set up. For both the 2500 and 3000 reel I would use either a size KL16H or KL20H for the butt guide, and for the 4000 reel a KL20H, and rarely a KL25H. For a given ring size the KR KL-H guides will have a higher frame than the NGC Y guides.
Norm

Posted by: Lance Schreckenbach (---.lightspeed.hstntx.sbcglobal.net)
Date: January 26, 2023 01:22PM

Most likely a 20mm ring. If the spool is really wide, then a 25mm. If very narrow a 16mm ring. I have found a 20mm accommodates most spinning reels in that size.

Posted by: John Duncan (---.hsd1.fl.comcast.net)
Date: January 26, 2023 02:27PM

Thanks to everyone !what great information
John d

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 01/26/2023 02:31PM by John Duncan.

Posted by: chris c nash (---.atmc.net)
Date: January 26, 2023 08:26PM

As I've said in the past line choice is the only thing you need to be concerned about when it comes to fishing braided lines on spinning setups . As long as you plan to use braided line in the 20 pound range and under you can forget about what your spinning reels spool diameter is altogether because it doesn't matter. I fish a few spinners with a spool diameters close to 70 mm wide and found that a 20 mm high frame butt guide works the best and the only reason it works so well is because of my preferred line choice . Would it work well with 17 - 20 pound mono , of course not . Spool diameters and ring sizes become much more critical when people choose to use mono instead of braid especially medium to heavier mono lines . If you plan to use mono in different sizes/diameters it's best to go with a larger butt guide. Spool diameter does become a much bigger factor when going in this direction.

It doesn't matter is you have reel sizes in the 2000, 2500, 3000 , 3500, 4000, 4500 , 5000 ranges because they will all work perfectly fine when spooling up with lighter braid . A high frame 16 mm, 20mm or 25 mm butt guide is all you need for all spinning reels in the previously mentioned sizes because all have spool diameters well within the appropriate ranges to work perfectly with most braids 20 pounds or less. This is often not the case when spooling up with other types of line however.

Of course guide placement won't all be the same but I think everyone knows that .

Posted by: Matt Ruggie (---)
Date: January 28, 2023 12:24AM

IIRC 1/2 dia of spool O.D. to size the stripper guide in NGC. usually worked out to a 25Y for 2000,2500,3000 sized reels.

Posted by: Kendall Cikanek (---)
Date: January 28, 2023 10:01PM

It’s hard to use the KR concept and get above a 25mm ring. Most reels are going to land in the 16-20mm range. Lance is probably correct on the 20mm being all around. The Anglers Resource software stipulated a 16mm on my last build. I laid it out to specs and made slight changes for near as I could get to perfect alignment. Subjectively, I think it would probably cast just a little better with the same work on a 20mm guide. I’m going with a different braid this year that could change my mind. It’s very nice to not have a huge guide fouling up a whole outfit of rods, too. Seven baitcasters can lay on a deck and stay separate, put one spinning rod with a huge guide with them and you get a mess.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster