I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Closed Wrap Gaps Uneven ?
Posted by: Steve Stolle (---.one-eleven.net)
Date: January 23, 2023 02:52PM

Hello

I am attempting to make a closed wrap butt wrap . I have an issue that I suspect is not uncommon . The pattern I am attempting is called a 4Diamond wrap. It is basically a small cluster of 4 diamonds with a thin cross wrap of black seperating each cluster crossing in the middle of the 4. The issue I am having is the gap in the middle of the wrap varies throughout the length of the wrap . IE RUNNING OUT OF ROOM FOR THREADS ! Also in some areas I have to much room for threads ,to wide. Could some of you please speculate what the issue could be using your own experience as a guide . I have tried to make my layout accurate and my centers are spot on so I am thinking its in the wrapping and packing stage of the wrap . Any insights would be appreciated as my patience for doing practice wraps is wearing thin .

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Closed Wrap Gaps Uneven ?
Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: January 23, 2023 03:59PM

Here's the issue - the area between the centers becomes smaller and smaller as you move up the rod. The rod diameter decreases the further you go up the rod. Much of the time it is possible to burnish and spread the closing threads closer to the butt and squeeze and pack them closer to the top of the wrap and have everything work just fine. But on longer wraps and/or steep blank tapers, this may not work. In this case you would consider using a Taper Offset Layout for spacing the centers at an increasing distance as you move up the rod which makes space for the same number of threads between each center.

You have some options here- I used to do a lot of closed wraps and would just figure a ratio of circumference to length between centers. Just seemed the simplest way to do it for me. You can also figure out how many centers will fit in your planned wrap length and then on a piece of notebook paper plot the circumference on a line drawn vertically on the left. Put the circumference of the butt on the first line and the circumference of the tip-most center on the last line of however many centers you have. Connect the dots, so to speak and now you have a slanted line running to the right of your vertical line. Measure the distances between the two lines for each center and transfer them to the blank. What this does is compact the distance between centers near the butt and elongate them slightly towards the tip. You won't notice the slight difference in center lengths on the wrap but will provide the extra space you need to squeeze in those last few threads.

Or, you can visit the VisualWrap website which I believe has an online taper offset layout tool where you can just plug in some numbers and work from there.

Date: January 24, 2023 10:32AM

Tom thank you for the detailed reply your advice ,like your book , is top notch .I am using VisualWrap Software so I am confident in my spacing of CENTERS but after 3 failed attemps I think I need to layout more SUBCENTERS if that makes sense. I started out with diamonds and chevrons they are simple to layout , a cross line and you are there. My wrap is kinda broke down into symetrical quadrants. I see now I need to lay each quadrant out to achieve eye pleasing symetry. This should also help me keep my gaps more consistant (fingers crossed). This is a learning step for me the pattern I chose is not as simple to execute as I thought . Patience is key here I will get there just need to keep at it til I figure a system out that works for me. I see a lot of patterns I would love to try but they intimidate me hopefully this will be my stepping stone to them. This forum is a huge reference for me thank you all!

Date: January 27, 2023 11:53AM

I was hoping to generate more discussion with this post . If any of you who read this could advise me where the post fell short of generating comments It would be appreciated .

Thank You
Steve

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster