I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Sacalait Jig
Posted by: Mark Brassett (---)
Date: January 23, 2023 10:35AM

I plan on building several jig poles on a NFC 2-piece fly blank. It has a .31 butt diameter. I've never used the NFC carbon grips but it would be a nice addition for these rods. Looking at all of the possible selections on the NFC site is overwhelming. The plan is to use a split grip configuration with a small fore grip. A small graphite spinning reel seat will complete the handle section. The reel seat will be positioned about 15"-18" from the butt.

Any advice? I know Norm has plenty of experience with this type of build so I'd really like to hear from him on this one.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Sacalait Jig
Posted by: Norman Miller (Moderator)
Date: January 23, 2023 01:12PM

Mark, are you planning on using this rod to cast small jigs using a spinning reel, or just use it as a jig pole where you don’t cast the jig but rather just flip out and fish it straight down? For my jig poles I use two piece 10’ 5 and 6 wgt Revelation fly rod blanks. and they work great. The reason I use the the Revelation fly rod blanks was I got a bunch of them at half price and they work well for what I wanted. I have also used some Proof 11’ 4 piece 5/6 wgt switch rods for some friend who wanted a longer rod. They make a good jig pole for a good price. If I want a long rod for casting small jigs I use L and ML steelhead blanks from 7’6” to 10’6”. These have a faster action and feel crisper than a fly rod blank when casting. I find fly rod blanks just too sloppy for my liking when casting. Some people like this sloppy feel, but I don’t. I should mention that long blanks suitable for crappie fishing are hard to find. Because of this I have stripped down a lot of commercial crappie rods and rebuilt them for friends to their liking. I am a fan of carbon fiber grips and like them a lot.
Norm

Posted by: Matt Ruggie (---)
Date: January 23, 2023 02:21PM

i had to look up what a sacalait was. never heard that before. thx

Date: January 23, 2023 02:30PM

These will be just for flipping and vertical jigging. The reel seat could be used for any number of small reels and or spools. You're right about the slop. They don't cast very well. I'm using 7'-8' two piece blanks for casting the small jigs both direct and under a cork.

I want to experiment with the carbon fiber grips on these rods.

Posted by: Norman Miller (Moderator)
Date: January 23, 2023 04:40PM

For my jig poles, I mount my reel seat at the butt end like a fly rod, and use a full Wells carbon fiber grip, which I like a lot. For your poles mounting the reel seat further up the blank will work well and help with the balance. There are a number of NFC regular carbon fiber grips that can be used for a split spinning grip using a standard DPS pipe type of reel seat. For the fighting butt there are a number of option from long to short, any of these would work. For the rear grip and fore grip there also a number of options from short to long. For these you want to use the ones that don’t have a tenon. They also make CF split grips to specifically fit the Fuji VSS, IPS, and TVS spinning reel seats, as well as the AmTac Aero reel seat, as well as for the Alps MVT spinning seats. If you want to use a hidden thread hood, there are a number of CF hood sleeves to fit the various kinds of hidden thread hoods. So a lot of options available. In the soft touch grips they only have ones specific for the Fuji VSS16 and IPS reel seats. Hope this helps, if not let me know exactly what you are looking for.
Norm

Date: January 23, 2023 06:21PM

Thanks, Norm. I am going with the 2" butt, the 2" grip and the 1" fore grip. I was a bit confused by the tenons on some of the grips. Just butting the tenonless grips up against the top and bottom of the reel seat sounds easy enough.

For my personal jig poles I like to place the spinning seat flush with the bottom of the blank and add a rubber plug. A 6" tapered EVA grip just above the seat seems to work well. Paired with a Zebco Trigger Spin for a line reservoir it works like a charm.
The only time I actually use the reel while fishing is when a big ole cat, bass or choupique eats the jig.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster