I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Carbon fiber grips
Posted by: Jonathan Collins (---.fttx.foothillsbroadband.com)
Date: January 22, 2023 12:09PM

Anyone that are using carbon fiber grips, say from NFC. Do you finish them with epoxy or just leave them raw? If you finish them, what are you using?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Carbon fiber grips
Posted by: Ron Weber (---)
Date: January 22, 2023 12:26PM

I keep them raw, none of my customers have asked for themto be finished

Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: January 22, 2023 12:36PM

PermaGloss. Don't use epoxy for the top coat.

[www.youtube.com]

Posted by: Norman Miller (Moderator)
Date: January 22, 2023 03:46PM

NFC has two types of CF grips, the regular CF polyurethane foam core grips, and the soft touch CF grips. I coat the regular cf CF grips with Permagloss but not with epoxy. The soft touch CF grips I use as are.
Norm

Posted by: David Baylor (---.res6.spectrum.com)
Date: January 22, 2023 04:33PM

I have carbon fiber grips on 6 of the rods I've built. I've left all but one of them in their raw factory form. One of them, a split grip set on my drop shot rod, I coated with lay up epoxy and then sanded it smooth, and put a final top coat of Perma Gloss on it.

I really like the way it turned out. Below is a link to a picture of the rod I did it on.

[www.rodbuilding.org]

Posted by: Chris Forslund (32.220.214.---)
Date: January 28, 2023 10:03AM

i once used high build finish on a 9" handle on a personal build when they first came out. i wish i never did, i put shrink tubing on shortly after right below the reel seat and a short piece down at the butt. like a split grip.

Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: January 28, 2023 10:25AM

Epoxy is not what you want for a topcoat on grips. Urethane is the way to go.

Posted by: Les Cline (---)
Date: January 28, 2023 12:25PM

Most of my CF grips are raw. On one set, I used one coat of Permagloss.

One coat of PG took some of the coarseness away and gave the grip a little shine. I could keep adding coats of PG to further smooth the skin to get the feel I want.

Just guessing here: I think people ask about coating CF grips because they appear 'unfinished' or that the small, woven fibers will be damaged without additional protection.
As far as durability goes, raw CF grips are extremely tough - maybe the toughest grip material out there and will look like new after years of hard fishing.

Posted by: Michael Danek (---.alma.mi.frontiernet.net)
Date: January 28, 2023 03:14PM

I like the look and feel of the raw NFC regular, not soft touch, grips and don't coat them with anything.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster