I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

blank recommendations please - 7' light fast panfish
Posted by: Rick Handrick (---.res.spectrum.com)
Date: January 19, 2023 08:49AM

I'm looking to build a couple panfish specific sticks. Crappie, perch, bluegills. Favorite techniques include pitching spinner jigs (beetle spins, roadrunners, etc) and hair/mylar jigs under a float. Also some dropshot for deeper fish. Does anyone have any recommendations on a good longer blank that will cast 1/32 - 1/16oz jigs (on 3-4# nanobraid or 4# suffix advance) ? Something along the lines of the St. Croix panfish series.....

thanks!

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: blank recommendations please - 7' light fast panfish
Posted by: Kevin Fiant (---)
Date: January 19, 2023 10:19AM

Some good discussion on similar topic here: [www.rodbuilding.org]

No personal experience with any of the blanks mentioned but eventually will be building a couple of panfish rods so interested in the discussion

Posted by: Peter Yawn (---.mpls.qwest.net)
Date: January 19, 2023 11:00AM

I built a rod on a RodGeeks C2 7' light. I find it to be really sloppy. Slow action and slow recovery. I built a Rainshadow Revalation 6'8" ultralight and found it to be a much nicer blank. Faster action, more crisp. For what you mention above I think the ultralight would work, but if you wanted more backbone I think the Revalation light would work too. I've also done a Rainshadow Immortal walleye 6'2" that I extended to 6'6". I think it turned into a really nice rod. Not sure if extending that one to 7' would work well or not.

Posted by: John DeMartini (---.inf6.spectrum.com)
Date: January 19, 2023 11:34AM

Check out Mud hole CRB 701L

Posted by: Rick Handrick (---.res.spectrum.com)
Date: January 21, 2023 09:16AM

Thanks all!

Posted by: roger wilson (---)
Date: January 21, 2023 10:49AM

Rick,
I have built many rods to be used for pan fishing.
All the way from ultra, ultra light rods to medium action very long rod for casting significant distances.

But, without a doubt for about 90% of my pan fishing these days is a medium light action 7'10" steel head float rod.

The big advantage for myself using such a rod is the casting distance that I get with a rod like this that has a beefier center section to allow a heavier float really pull out the line from the reel and cast a very long distance.

Crappie fishing is fun, but often the fish are spooky. So, if one has a rod that can cast a very good distance, using a heavier float - one can anchor well away from a potential school of fish, cast past the school, work the school and then using a high retrieve rate reel, quickly retrieve the lure and cast again.

In particular the use of the "Rocket Bobber" makes all of the difference. This is a weighted plastic bobber that is fished on its side. Then, even the slightest bite causes the bobber to tip up to signify the light bite of a fish.

Best wishes

Posted by: Lucas Houtsma (66.11.103.---)
Date: January 21, 2023 04:14PM

I'm building on the NFC P-700. Haven't finished it yet to try out. Let us know what you decide on please and how you like it afterwards.

Posted by: Richard Bowers (---.ptld.qwest.net)
Date: January 22, 2023 11:22AM

Rick,

I would check out the American Tackle Bushido model SP68/4-8. It is rated for lures from 1/32 to 5/16 and line rating from 4 to 8. It is a fast action 1-piece blank at a length of 6'8". This sounds like a perfect fit for your application, and I have never been dissatisfied with an AT blank.

Rich

Posted by: Michael Tarr (---)
Date: January 22, 2023 02:27PM

I built a AT Busido CB68/6-12 for a jerkbait spinning rod and found out it’s underpowered when I caught a 2lb bass and had almost no control over the fish. I had to wait until the fish was completely pooped to get off the line.

On the recent CCS post someone put the power as a medium-light in the low 300 range. I’d say this is accurate and now I’m planning a future build to replace it with a proper medium powered rod.

Date: January 22, 2023 02:40PM

Phenix has a lot of nice panfish blanks

[getbitoutdoors.com]

Posted by: Daryl Ferguson (---)
Date: January 22, 2023 02:47PM

John DeMartini Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Check out Mud hole CRB 701L

Have you built this blank? I'm considering the ML version in 7' and would appreciate you sharing your experience with it.

Date: January 22, 2023 03:07PM

Caught a few of these yesterday, they were chasing threadfin shad in 50 degree water 6-14’ deep.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster