I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Nfc handle and reel seat ideas
Posted by: Jim Berry (---)
Date: January 17, 2023 08:02PM

Help with input ideas i have a nfc ds761-1 blank 6-10# line lure 1/8 to5/16 want to make it as a spinning rod the blank in the handle area wont fit a fuji tvsts reel seat blank to small and i dont want to make an arbor to adapt because it would mask the sensitivity? Plan b make a three piece handle for the blank ,fuji kl ,kb and kt guides any other ideas or input my ears or my eyes to read are open thank you

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Nfc handle and reel seat ideas
Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: January 18, 2023 02:08PM

No, it won't "mask sensitivity." Shim with rigid arbors so that you can use a seat that property fits your hand.

Posted by: Norman Miller (Moderator)
Date: January 18, 2023 03:48PM

Tom is correct. No matter which reel seat you use you will need to shim it. I use polyurethane foam arbors. They are quite rigid and ream very easily. The TVST reel requires a reel seat insert which needs to be epoxied into the reel seat. The reel seat with the insert will still need to be shimmed to fit the blank. Some inserts contain a polyurethane foam core, and thus only need to be reamed to fit the blank. Other inserts don’t contain a foam core and will need to be shimmed. NFC does make regular CF grips and hidden thread hood sleeves, which will fit the the TVST seats. I prefer the NFC soft touch grip for the IPS seat. I find it very comfortable, light, sensitive, and durable. For spinning rods I almost exclusively use KR concept guides.
Norm

Posted by: Jim Berry (---)
Date: January 18, 2023 10:36PM

Ok so the nfc efx carbon tex grips are ream to blank size the rod bond paste them in place with the fuji ips reel seat?

Date: January 19, 2023 10:28AM

NFC is the only company I know of in the US that sells carbon fiber grips specific for the Fuji VSS and IPS reel seats. In my opinion, the advantage of these seats is they become an integrated part of the grip making them very comfortable to use. The OD of the grip/seat area where you hold the reel is larger and more hand filling than any other reel seat I know of. For example, the OD of the VSS 16 is about 23-24 mm, and that for the VSS 16 and IPS 16 is about 26 - 27 mm. In addition, there are various hood options that can be used with these seats.

When I install these grip/seat combinations here is the way I do it. First, I epoxy a polyurethane foam arbor into the reel seat and when cured I ream it to fit the blank. Second, I ream the grip to fit the blank. Third, I then epoxy the grip and reel seat together as a unit, using a tie wrap or twisted rubber bands to get a good fit between the seat and grip. Make sure that any excess epoxy is cleaned up. Finally, when cured I epoxy the grip/seat to the blank, and if needed I ream slightly to get a good fit. Very easy to do with great results every time.

I should mention, the VSS 16 reel seat has two different IDs, with the ID of the threaded barrel end of the seat being about 15.5 mm and the grip end of the seat being13 mm. This required two different size arbors to be used. The VSS 15/16, VSS 17, and IPS seats have a constant ID through out their length.
Norm

Posted by: Michael Tarr (50.238.140.---)
Date: January 19, 2023 01:13PM

NFC’s soft touch grips are the only grips I use.

Posted by: Joe Henary (73.107.84.---)
Date: January 19, 2023 05:23PM

The Pac Bay Minima seat fits nice as well. The rear does not require an arbor but the front does. And I didn't do what Norman suggested about assembling the grip and seat first but I had already decided to do that next time. Air couldn't escape and kept trying to push them apart.

Posted by: El Bolinger (---)
Date: January 20, 2023 09:55AM

@NORMAN can't thank you enough for answering questions I didn't even know I had, supremely helpful!

@JOE I never saw that seat before, looks very interesting.

Building rods in MA, Building the community around the world

Date: January 20, 2023 09:04PM

I should mention that the NFC soft touch grips come with a EVA foam winding check. They need to be reamed to get them to fit the blank, and they are tough to ream. In many cases I replace them with the AmTac G2 aluminum winding checks sized to fit the blank where you want them. They fit the soft touch grips perfectly.
[mudhole.com]

The split reel seat shown by Joe is the PacBay Minima spinning seat. I’m not a big fan of them, but others do like them.
[mudhole.com]
Norm

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster