I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Blank wgt.
Posted by: Lynn Behler (---.44.66.72.res-cmts.leh.ptd.net)
Date: January 16, 2023 07:26PM

Bought a high end blank listed at 1.94 oz., weighs 2.15 oz. Sounds close to me. Any thoughts?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Blank wgt.
Posted by: Mark Talmo (---)
Date: January 16, 2023 08:46PM

Lynn,
You brought-up a good point. If a 9% difference in weight is good enough for you, then who can say otherwise. While it is to be expected and accepted that same model blanks, even from the same batch, will differ slightly in weight, length, butt and tip diameter, acceptable limits differ as well, both from manufacturers and consumers perspective. Certainly a “gray” area which will unlikely get any clearer. Do the blank manufacturers weigh a certain percentage of a “run” and then average the weight to be publicized (I would suspect) or do they take the lightest obtained weight? While the majority of us are very weight conscious with our builds and might question a 9% increase from the advertised weight, there is a flip-side to that. If a blank is found to be 9% less in weight than advertised, there may be those who might question if the blank is as strong as advertised.
Although stepping on Lynn’s post, and I apologize, how often do all of you discover a blank to be lighter than advertised versus heavier than advertised?

Mark Talmo
FISHING IS NOT AN ESCAPE FROM LIFE BUT RATHER A DEEPER IMMERSION INTO IT!!! BUILDING YOUR OWN SIMPLY ENHANCES THE EXPERIENCE.

Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: January 16, 2023 09:09PM

My work with various blank manufacturers in terms of their target specs versus actual weight indicates a 7% difference is not uncommon. You're close to that range.

Posted by: david taylor (---)
Date: January 17, 2023 12:41AM

More than 10% out of spec seems a bit high to me. I would ask the rod maker them how much variation they think is acceptable or they tolerate?

Posted by: Lance Schreckenbach (107.1.212.---)
Date: January 17, 2023 12:11PM

If it is supposed to be under 2oz then I expect it to be under 2oz. It makes a difference if you are trying to make it light. Maybe it is longer than what you bought it as and you can cut the weight off the butt.

Posted by: David Baylor (---.res6.spectrum.com)
Date: January 17, 2023 05:47PM

Less than a quarter ounce...... not bad in my book either.

As far as have I ever had a blank be lighter than its' advertised weight? Yes. Once. I have had one blank that weighed its' advertised weight. All the others have been over. The most one has been over was 33 oz.

I'm more concerned when I find large discrepancies in blank dimensions, than I am with discrepancies in weight. When I get a blank that is a lot bigger than its' advertised dimensions, I immediately start wondering if I got the right blank.

Posted by: david taylor (---)
Date: January 17, 2023 06:12PM

A recent high end blank I purchase was touted as 38 grams, my $30 kitchen digital scale measured it at 41. Close enough for me.

If you paid more than $100 for the blank I would ask the blank maker or seller.

Date: January 18, 2023 07:38PM

This is a MHF 7' caster, and I did spring for a Fuji RV-6 T-2 guide train so weight is something of a concern. I can't make it lighter as I go. Guess it is what it is. I did get one blank that was a bit lighter than listed, SC-5 76MLXF. Two totally different animals

Date: January 19, 2023 03:03PM

Out of curiosity I weighed another blank from the same family, It was listed at 1.58oz., actual wgt. 1.55oz.

A word you have used in your post has been banned from use. Please use a different word or contact the forum administrators.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster