I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

KR concept 3rd reducer to choke guide distance
Posted by: Joe Henary (---)
Date: January 15, 2023 12:59PM

I'm building a 7'6" heavy spinning rod using a KR concept guide layout and I have a question about the 4th guide placement. 90 inch blank with the spindle 14" from the butt 4000 size reel shows 20H,10H,6L with the following positions:

Stripper Position beyond spool axle tip: 21.5"
Stripper to Second Reduction Guide: 8.94"
Second Reducer to Third Reduction Guide: 7.81"
Third Reducer to Choke Guide:5.3"

The first three give me a damn near perfect bullseye. Fuji says the 4th guide should be a little higher than bullseye to help it turn the corner.

"As a final performance tweak, consider moving the choke guide slightly further out to obtain the position shown at left. This often helps line "turn the corner" as it reaches the blank and helps smooth the flow of line even further."

My problem is I have to move my choke guide (KB6) inwards to get this configuration and it ends up around 3.5" from the third reduction guide and it just looks wrong having that small space between guides in the middle of the rod. Did I do something wrong by chance? Should I just roll with the awkward looking spacing? Should I order a 6M instead of the 6L? I'm sure someone else has ran into this before so I'm just wondering the best way to handle it.

Thanks

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: KR concept 3rd reducer to choke guide distance
Posted by: Norman Miller (Moderator)
Date: January 15, 2023 02:50PM

I would recommend keeping the choke at approximately where the GPS wants it. . Moving it in toward the third reduction guides so it’s only 3.5” away makes for too short a distance. If anything I might move the choke out a little and adjust the other guides accordingly. Remember the KR GPS just gives a good starting point for your guide layout. I have done several 7’6” MH to H KR spin rods using size 5.5 or 6 runners for several friends, with all most the exact handle length as yours. Here are a couple of tentative layouts I have used based on the KR GPS as a starting point. These measurements are from the tip in centimeters.
For nine guides : 10, 21, 33, 46.5, 61.5, 78 (choke), 96, 116, 138.5
This layout puts the stripper about 21,5” in front of the reel spool and the choke guide about 23.8” in front of the stripper. It gives good progressive spacing and should give a good static test
For 10 guides: 9, 19, 30, 42, 55.5, 80.5 (choke), 97.5, 116.5, 138.5
This layout puts the stripper about 21,5” in front of the reel spool and the choke about 22.8” in front of the stripper. It also gives a nice progressive spacing and a good static test.
There is a lot of flexibility in laying out a guide train, and you can certainly move the stripper and/or choke guides in or out a little to accommodate the guide numbers and their spacing. Experiment a little and see what you get. I think you will be pleasantly surprised how well you rod will perform

Norm

Re: KR concept 3rd reducer to choke guide distance
Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: January 15, 2023 03:42PM

Spacing is only 1/2 the means to obtain good spacing - guide ring size and frame height are the other 1/2. You have a lot of options. Exercise all that you need.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster