I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Pages: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
Blank Painting Squeegee Material
Posted by: Caleb plumlee (---.res.spectrum.com)
Date: January 13, 2023 06:17PM

Hello. Long time stalker, but my first post!

I really want to figure out the squeegee method of painting rod blanks that I've seen in factory tour videos. I'm frustrated with the mess, paint waste, and overall hassle of spray painting (plus I suck at it). I can get the single stage high quality automotive paints I need, but the materials I've tried for the rubber membrane aren't working well. I've tried latex balloons, latex "punching balloons," and bike inner tube rubber... all are not ideal. The inner tube is too tight or too loose at some point no matter what (not stretchy enough?). The balloons seem too thin and grippy. They "stutter" when I draw the rods back through and give a bad finish.

In the factory videos I've seen, it looks like they use thick (1/16") yellow (latex?) rubber sheets. Before I order expensive materials to test though, does anyone have the answer already??

Before someone suggests trying another method, please note I'm specifically trying to figure out the squeegee method to a science like I've seen online. I've seen it work, so I know it can be done!

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Blank Painting Squeegee Material
Posted by: John DeMartini (---.inf6.spectrum.com)
Date: January 13, 2023 06:58PM

It may not be so much the material but how the membrane is held and the method of passing the blank through the membrane..

Think about slightly stretching the membrane over a form like an embroidery hoop. It will keep the membrane fixed and give better control, also fixing the hoop to some thing solid to minimize relative movement.

I am picturing fixing the hoop to pole or rail and getting on a ladder or other high place and pulling the blank through with a steady continuous motion.

Right now that's all I have.

Have Fun

Date: January 14, 2023 12:00AM

Well, those sound like good ideas. I'll experiment with tension a bit more, but I have had the latex materials stretched fairly tight... any tighter and they started to split on me when I push the rod in. I can't really stretch the inner tube tighter. I'll have to think about jow to do that one more...

As for the ladder, I'm doing 4pc fly rods, so the pieces are nice and short thankfully!

Still getting uneven finishes or overly thin coats currently... been a loooooong night ugh

Posted by: Mark Talmo (---)
Date: January 14, 2023 01:03AM

Caleb,
All of the blank painting videos I have seen make it appear to be so simple and quick, yet in reality, can be frustrating to actually accomplish perfect results. The amount of tension the “diaphragm” exerts on the blank and the speed with which it is drawn up the blank to produce that perfect finish is only realized after basic ol’ trial-and-error.
Possibly the best approach for you may be to employ foam cosmetic pads (~.25in thick). Punch a hole < than the size of the smallest blank diameter, saturate it with your paint, and drag it up and over / past the large end. It works for me with PermaGloss.

Mark Talmo
FISHING IS NOT AN ESCAPE FROM LIFE BUT RATHER A DEEPER IMMERSION INTO IT!!! BUILDING YOUR OWN SIMPLY ENHANCES THE EXPERIENCE.

Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: January 14, 2023 11:21AM

Too many articles on this very topic to mention in RodMaker. For a straight squeegee material, the material in punch ball balloons has typically worked well. But the opening isn't a one-size fits all thing. Depending on your blank's difference between tip and butt diameter, you have to dial things in for that range.

We also detailed a blank coating tool from PVC that mounted a foam disc, similar to what you find in the grey foam paint "brushes" at the local home improvement store. You saturated the foam with your clear coat or paint and slid it down the rod blank. I found this to be superior for coating a rod blank and worked on a greater range of sizes. You just punched the tip through the foam and let the foam dictate the opening and the pressure.

Posted by: Sergey Smith (---.lsan.ca.frontiernet.net)
Date: January 14, 2023 01:29PM

I was searching for the same thing for a while, Fuji has a tutorial on their site on the easiest way to do it at home but it's all in Japanese so it was hard to decipher. Their tutorial suggests natural rubber/latex which is also what at least a few of the manufacturers use for painting. You can use a hot needle, about 60% of the size of the tip of the blank you're painting, to make a hole in the rubber. Here's a video I found also that goes step by step through it, although it is also in Japanese. [www.youtube.com]

You can find 1/16" 12x12 sheets for about $10 from McMasterCarr or Grainger. They can definitely tear so if there's a big difference between the tip and butt size you'll have to adjust the size.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/14/2023 01:31PM by Sergey Smith.

Posted by: Matt Ruggie (---)
Date: January 14, 2023 06:27PM

whats the benefit of this method over spraying? just curious

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/14/2023 08:13PM by Matt Ruggie.

Date: January 14, 2023 11:02PM

I'm not certain there is a benefit just yet... I'm going to try some of the suggestions above and see if it actually works first!

My intention is to find a one step (one coat) paint job that is as durable and perfect as the big manufacturers use. The only spray can paint I know of durable enough to not need a separate clear coat is the SprayMax 2k stuff. Getting a custom color of that shipped to me in Montana costs like $60/can after shipping and is single use.

Posted by: david taylor (---)
Date: January 17, 2023 08:15PM

There is a rod painter that works with mudhole.

Date: January 18, 2023 01:47AM

Yeah, I spoke with the Mudhole painter too. Since I don't use mudhole blanks, I'd have to ship from Montana to Florida and back again plus his fees. It's fairly costly. I may have to go that route worst case though!

So far, I've been testing a lot this week and still haven't found a working solution. All the squeegee materials completely remove the paint upon pulling the blanks out... even when the opening is sized to match the section tips perfectly. I have no idea how the big guys are pulling this off. There has to be a simple trick im missong. The videos show the process being very very simple. Changing paint viscosity hasn't resolved much.

The closest so far has been using a punching balloon and running the blank back and forth through the squeegee multiple times until I have a kinda ok coating on parts of the blank. This is very messy with incomplete coverage.

I'm about ready to pass this off as impractical for small operations and go back to flow coating blanks and just redoing a lot. Seems foolish though since it appears so perfect and simple online!

Posted by: Dennis Danku (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: January 18, 2023 11:48AM

Caleb, Have you tried air brush paint? I use Createx Auto Air paint with a foam brush to refinish old blanks that have been scraped and sanded of all its old paint and finish. I have had the best results with their Pearlized colors and sometimes don't even put a clear coat on them which gives them a satin finish. After painting, they must be set with a heat gun or hair dryer for a few minutes which helps it cure. Before you give up I would try any color of the Pearlized Createx paint in your squeege set up. It may just be the paint that your using is not dense enough, You might need something like a jelled ink. Try a small jar of the Createx paint , you can get it at a Hobby -Lobby if there's one near you. Good luck, Dennis

Dennis J. Danku
(Sayreville,NJ)

Date: February 02, 2023 05:39PM

Dennis... late reply, but thank you. I hunted down the Createx paints and they do work better. I still cannot consistently get thin and even coatings with the squeegee though. Maybe I'm too picky...

I did invest in a bunch of Createx paint and an airbrush setup though after all my frustration. I have developed/blended the color I wanted with the Createx paints and built a vented airbrush booth in the past couple weeks and I believe I'm 99% of the way to having a solution... albeit in a much more expensive and elaborate manner.

Thanks all

Posted by: Michael Ward (---)
Date: February 02, 2023 07:16PM

Caleb plumlee Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
>... albeit in a much more expensive and elaborate manner.

Welcome to Custom Rod Building :)

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/02/2023 07:17PM by Michael Ward.

Posted by: Rick Hall (---.biz.spectrum.com)
Date: February 02, 2023 09:42PM

Caleb,

Send me an email and I think I can help find the material you are looking for.

Rick Hall
Global Sales Manager
SeaGuide Corporation
406-750-2122
www.sea-guide.com

Posted by: Robert A. Guist (---.res6.spectrum.com)
Date: February 03, 2023 06:02PM

Hello Caleb.

Here are some articles you can check-out, the one in 20/2 I have no idea what it is about because hurricane Florence took a lot of my mags and I still am missing a few 20/2 is one of them.

Vol/Issue............Article.........................Author..................Page.
19/4 Painting Techniques & Effects, More on the Spray Max 2K. 14
20/2 Finish Applicator. 24
23/2 Blank Painting Technique By Nuno Paulino. 14
2/1 Blanks: Refinishing Rod Blanks. By Mike Bolt. 22
2/3 Blanks: Refinishing Rod Blanks. By Ralph O'Quinn. 25
15/3 Tools: Blank Coating Tool.(Clear Coating & Painting The Easy Way!) By Tom Kirkman. 22

Good Luck.

Tight Wraps & Tighter Lines.

Bob,

New Bern, NC.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 02/03/2023 06:31PM by Robert A. Guist.

Posted by: Dennis Danku (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: February 06, 2023 08:54PM

Caleb, Yea, an air brush is the ticket. I can only do that when its warm, in my garage,so that's why I use the foam brush method. Post some pictures when you get a good one. Try the BLACK PEARL, it looks like raw carbon when its dry.

Dennis J. Danku
(Sayreville,NJ)

Posted by: Brandon fennimore (---)
Date: February 12, 2023 09:32AM

This is the product they appear to be using I can’t find anywhere to buy it though. I would love to see this be introduced into the us market

Posted by: Brandon fennimore (---)
Date: February 12, 2023 11:01AM

They sell the apparatus to paint with also…. Man the American market is seriously behind on this in my opinion

Posted by: Denham Bruce (---)
Date: September 06, 2023 01:01AM

Is that Japanese product likely just a 2-part urethane automotive clear coat? I too have tried ordering it from Japan however due to the substance its made from they cannot ship overseas.

This method looks way more simple once you get it down than spray painting. We really are behind in that area of expertise.

Posted by: Ryan Edamatsu (---)
Date: September 21, 2023 02:51PM

I never tried painting blanks like this before. But the first thing that comes to mind is a baby bottle. The nipple for the baby to feed on is like silicone or something strechy and durable. That might be a idea to test out. I seen The Fishing Hobby on YT use a baby bottle in a diy rod turning tutorial.

Pages: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster