I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Fly Rod Guide Spacing Question
Posted by: Pat Haley (---.newsourcebroadband.com)
Date: January 11, 2023 05:40PM

I have built 40+ bait casting and 4 spinning rods. I just completed 2 fly rods. One was an 8 foot 3 weight and one a 9 foot 5 weight. Looking at the spacing of the guide for the fly rods it appeared they were to far apart. The 9 foot 5 weight called for 9 guides plus the tip top. After putting the rod in a 90 degree bend the fly line did not have smooth turns as a bait casting rod would have. I added some guides to make smooth turns from one guide to the other. I ended up with 12 guides plus the tip top. I would think this would help in the fighting of the fish and the back cast and forward cast when the rod is loaded. I used single foot guides after the first 3 guides that were double foot guides. It does not look like it changed the action of the. If it did it was a small amount.

Did I mess up by adding the additional guides?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Fly Rod Guide Spacing Question
Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: January 11, 2023 05:44PM

No you did not mess up - you did what a good custom rod builder would do. Always use the correct number of guides, no more and no less. 12 seems a bit many for a 9 footer but maybe not. I suspect most 9 footers can do well enough with 10 guides plus a tiptop, but as guides have gotten lighter and lighter, I am at the point of erring on the side of one too many rather than one too few.

Action won't change with additional guides (action is where the rod initially flexes) but the speed will be reduced with any additional weight. How much so depends on how much additional weight you added and where you added it. If you like the way the rod casts and feels, go with it. I think you'll be fine.

Posted by: Herb Ladenheim (---.datapacket.com)
Date: January 11, 2023 11:05PM

Pat,
# of guides on a fly rod will depend to a large degree on the action of the blank - i.e. during the static flex procedure.

Normally we use 10 guides on a 9'0" rod.
Yes - you'll get a smoother curve with more guides - but don't get carried away with it.
15 guides would give you an even smoother curve.
At one point you will have to accept that you will not get a perfect curve - but one that is good enough - usually 10 on 9'.
Herb

Posted by: Lance Schreckenbach (---.lightspeed.hstntx.sbcglobal.net)
Date: January 14, 2023 04:38PM

Pat,
If you used ceramic guides (I prefer over single foot snakes) you did an excellent job. That is exactly how I would of done it. With double foot snake guides you could of gotten away with 10 + a tip top. I have done 3 wt to 10 wt rods like this and they all cast very well and really did not add that much weight to affect the action a bunch. It really comes to finding the correct line especially on the 7 wt + sizes. It seems with the lower the weight line the less difference it makes.

Posted by: Pat Haley (---.newsourcebroadband.com)
Date: January 15, 2023 08:58PM

Thanks for the responses. The guides used were made by me. I use 16 and 18 gauge TEMCo surgical grade titanium wire for the smaller guides and 1/16 inch titanium tig wire for the double foot larger guides. The tip top is 16 gauge titanium wire. All wire is polished to a mirror finish using jeweler’s rouge. If they ever need to be repolished this can be done using a Q-tip on a dremel with the jeweler’s rouge while the guides are on the rod. I have been making my own titanium guides and tip tops for bait casting and spinning rods for about two years now and they work great. No inserts to come out. I fish mostly braid line with a short leader.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster