I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Impacts of cutting a rod tip down
Posted by: Chris Baker (---.winnipeg.ca)
Date: January 06, 2023 02:48PM

Hello,

I haven't posted in a while but I am still building rods. I appreciate the knowledge and discussion here.

I recently purchased two NFC C562-1 (IM) blanks, these are 5'6" light power, fast action, lure 3/16-1/2. These will be spinning rods, used almost exclusively for vertical jigging for walleyes. The problem is I accidently broke about 2.5" inches off the tip of one of them and I want these rods to be the same. I am considering options - cutting the other one down to match, extending the broken rod from the butt, buying another one. I searched the forum and have seen a couple of comments on shortening the tip but I would like get more information and ensure I understand.

So my main questions are:

What are the overall implications of loosing about 2.5" off the tip of this or any spinning rod blank?

How will this affect the rods action and sensitivity?

Thanks in advance.

Chris

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/06/2023 02:50PM by Chris Baker.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Impacts of cutting a rod tip down
Posted by: Les Cline (---)
Date: January 06, 2023 05:02PM

Hey Chris!

I share your pain about a broken rod tip!

Here's my take based on your input:

1.) Your broken blank IS different without 2.5 inches of tip in BOTH Action and Power! Is it STILL what you want or not? That is the question as I hear you.

There is no way I know of to determine "how much" taking "X" amount off of "Y" part of a blank will affect its action or power other than giving it a CCS test. A CCS test will tell you exactly the differences between the broken and non-broken rods/blanks in a COMPARATIVE way; not necessarily in a way that is what you want. Objective Side: Test both rods with CCS, and compare the data of their IP-ERN (Intrensic Power or Earned Rod Number) and AA (action angle). Subjective Side: Note how it looks to your own eyes. Does it have that flex that looks like it is something you want?

2.) Michael Danek has some worthy considerations and measuring options for finding The Natural Frequency (TNF) that is another data point to consider in the 'sensitivity realm'. Do a forum search on this to get up to speed, if you haven't already.

In my own anecdotal experience, a rod that I have broken the tip of is not going to be used again. Yes, it is 'useable'....and I don't throw it away. However, when I fish, I want to know and feel I am fishing with what I wanted and intended. That's just me. I have friends that lost a bit of the tip and they still like the rod just fine.

Posted by: Michael Danek (---.alma.mi.frontiernet.net)
Date: January 06, 2023 05:26PM

I've never liked a rod that lost that much. I think I'd just bite the bullet and order another to complete your set. It may be in my head, but it's there. If you are a serious builder who plans to build more in the future, set yourself up a CCS measuring rig and then you'll know how changes affect power and action. If you want to do TNF to measure natural frequencies , send me an email.

Posted by: Pawel Tymendorf (---)
Date: January 06, 2023 05:31PM

Well, if the sensitivity is described as stiffness / weight ratio then cuting off the tip should increase sensitivity as it both increases stiffness of the blank and reduces its weight ;)

It should also increase blank's IP and reduce its AA

Best regards,
Pavel

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/06/2023 05:32PM by Pawel Tymendorf.

Posted by: Mark Talmo (---)
Date: January 06, 2023 06:22PM

Chris,
As mentioned and suggested, measuring the CCS and TNF of both blanks will provide you with precise numerical values of each blank for precise comparison.
While possible, it is doubtful that NFC will “give” you another blank since, afterall, you are the one who broke it. But why waste it? While 2.5in is significant, it is not huge (or is it?). How can you be certain that you would not prefer the shorter rod?
Although CCS and TNF will supply you with precise objective values, you have a perfect opportunity to compare those obtained values to how the blanks differ subjectively; actual in-hand FEEL. Consider it a golden opportunity to learn; and by all means, let the rest of us know the outcome; I know that at least I am here to learn.
Make the best out of any given situation; build them as-is. Consider that you are already out the cost of a blank unless you use the broken one. If it (or the unbroken one for that matter) proves to be unsatisfactory, THEN purchase a new blank, cut off the old guides and reuse them on the new build. The most you will LOSE is the cost of grips, seat and a little time but you may GAIN so much more.

Mark Talmo
FISHING IS NOT AN ESCAPE FROM LIFE BUT RATHER A DEEPER IMMERSION INTO IT!!! BUILDING YOUR OWN SIMPLY ENHANCES THE EXPERIENCE.

Posted by: Lynn Behler (---.44.66.72.res-cmts.leh.ptd.net)
Date: January 06, 2023 06:38PM

I would put tips on both blanks, compare them and go from there. They won't be the same, but it might not be a big deal. What do you stand to lose?

Posted by: roger wilson (---)
Date: January 07, 2023 09:45AM

Chris,
Losing 2 1/2 inches on a light action makes that rod essentially useless for light action fishing.

However, fear not - there is hope.

I have used this process in past times to help other folks who have lost that much off the tip.

Often, one will have old rods, or rod pieces around that may be exact duplicates to match what has been broken.

The problem with 2 1/2 inches is that any sort of repair is going to make that very critical part of the blank semi rigid and effectively cause to lose that part of the blank.

However, if you have a rod section - new or used around the shop, consider this.

Cut off 1 to 1 1/2 feet of the other blank section.

Then, make your repair at that distance from the tip - using conventional repair procedures. (In this process, you could cut back the rod that is to be repaired such that with the section that you are adding back on, you will have a rod that exactly matches the original rod.

The key thing is that you will not have a dead spot at that very critical part of the blank.

This is a very easy thing to do, and when completed, you will have a great rod again.

Best wishes.

Posted by: El Bolinger (---.bstnma.fios.verizon.net)
Date: January 07, 2023 10:54AM

Sounds like a lot of great advice above, the only thing I'd add is that it sounds by the specs to be more of a medium than a light rod - and it would only feel stouter and faster by losing some of the tip.

If your not familiar with CCS or don't have the set up for it etc. I'd recommend putting the exact same amount of weight on both blanks and lay them flat over the edge of a table or something. With say 12 - 16 oz and the exact same weight on both blanks hung over the edge with the same distance from the butt the only variable will be their difference in length, this way you can compare the bend profile for each see what you think of the difference. Maybe handle them with the weight syill attached and imagine it being a fish on the other end, then you'll have a better idea of how you want to proceed.

If you don't like it for your intended purpose then you might as well experiment with it, do something you've thought about trying but haven't because you didn't want to "waste" a blank or try something wild like adding 2 feet to it or try a guide lay out you haven't before. Or just save it to use for repairs later.

Good luck with the builds, have fun if you can.

Posted by: Michael Danek (---.alma.mi.frontiernet.net)
Date: January 07, 2023 04:40PM

I would put tips on both blanks, compare them and go from there. They won't be the same, but it might not be a big deal. What do you stand to lose?

Good advice, Lynn. If it doesn't work out go to plan B.

Posted by: Spencer Phipps (---)
Date: January 07, 2023 06:14PM

I'd mock up and test cast before building.

Posted by: Chris Baker (---.winnipeg.ca)
Date: January 09, 2023 03:21PM

Thanks for all the information and tips. I am likely going leave the broken blank for now and get a replacement.

Chris

Posted by: Lynn Behler (---.44.66.72.res-cmts.leh.ptd.net)
Date: January 09, 2023 06:34PM

The broken one will be perfect for a different technique. Lol.

Date: January 10, 2023 01:12AM

Pool cue comes to mind.

Posted by: Geoff Staples (---.wavecable.com)
Date: January 10, 2023 09:48AM

There are several scenarios where intentionally trimming the tip is useful (i.e. any time you need more mass in the tip to withstand more abuse.) The application above doesn't sound like one of them. 2.5" off the tip changes a finesse blank quite a lot. I'd send the break in for warranty and build another one.

-Geoff

Posted by: Mark Brassett (---)
Date: January 10, 2023 10:23AM

Cut it down from the butt and build a 39" dead stick ice rod.

Date: January 10, 2023 10:26AM

Mark, with a dead tip as happens with 2 1/2 inches off the tip, this dead stick ice rod would have already expired.
i.e., unless you fish this dead and dying stick with a bobber floating in the water.

Best wishes

Posted by: Mark Brassett (---)
Date: January 10, 2023 02:48PM

I use a dead stick with a tip-up for pike, big walleye and burbot. A little larger reel loaded with braid and a stiffer rod seems to work the best. Its basically a small winch. That rod he has is a "dead" stick and would be perfect.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster