I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Need Help With Fuji RV Guide Layout on 11'6" blank
Posted by: Bob Ginther (162.245.181.---)
Date: January 05, 2023 09:10PM

I have a North Fork Composites 1167-2 Heavy power fast action blank rated 2-8 oz. I plan to match it with a Shimano Aero Technium 14000 (72 mm spool diameter). My guide train will be Fuji RV25 RV16 KW10m and 8's for runners. I need help with determining the reduction train layout. Any help is appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Need Help With Fuji RV Guide Layout on 11'6" blank
Posted by: Michael Danek (---.alma.mi.frontiernet.net)
Date: January 10, 2023 04:59PM

No responses, Bob, so I think you are on your own. But I'll give you my opinion, and that will most likely bring dissenting opinions. And maybe someone who really knows.

I would start by locating the first guide about 22-24 inches from the reel, then progressively locate the rest of the guides, longer gaps to the butt area, shorter gaps to the tip. Probably 13-14 guides. After you initially locate them do a two line stress test to finalize the location and number. With the two line stress test guides may easily be moved without unloading the blank, a major advantage over a one line stress test.

Then test cast and move the first guide in and out a couple inches just to see if it matters. If it does, go with the best location and revise the other spacings slightly to accomadate the new stripper location.

Posted by: Norman Miller (Moderator)
Date: January 10, 2023 06:29PM

Not many surf rod builders on this site, and I certainly haven’t built a surf rod in a long time. I do know for KR surf spinning rods the stripper (RV25) is going to be placed about 32 to 36” (80 to 90 cm) in front of the reel spool to accommodate the larger reel sizes used for surf fishing. Reduction train length about 36” to 38” ( 90 to 96 cm) and would probably use a total 8 to 10 guides. However, this is an educated guess, but I think it would get you in the ballpark.
Norm

Posted by: Bob Ginther (162.245.181.---)
Date: January 10, 2023 09:15PM

Thank you both for the responses. Norm your suggestion matches another suggestion I got on a different site from a trusted builder. 32 to 36 inches seems like a long way out to me but I trust your opinion. I will give that a try. Michael the NGC approach with a KW30 would put the stripper around where you stated. I just wasn't sure if the RV guides were plug and play into the NGC approach. It appears they are not given the much smaller diameter for the height. Thank you both.

Posted by: Michael Danek (---.alma.mi.frontiernet.net)
Date: January 11, 2023 06:19AM

Bob, Norman knows a lot more about this subject than I. Thanks, Norman.

Posted by: Norman Miller (Moderator)
Date: January 11, 2023 12:47PM

Mick, probably not much more. I try to keep up with the generalities for building a surf rod, although I have built very few. They are a different animal from what I normally build. I know for some of the 13’ plus tournament rods the butt guide is placed about 110 cm (43”) in front of the reel stem, that’s a long way. Reels used for surf rods are quite large including the 14000 long cast reel that Bob has. So in order to get a good line path from the reel to the stripper guide of a given size, the larger the reel the further out you push the stripper. For a NGC setup using the 27X method, developed by Tom Kirkman, the estimated average distance to the choke for the spool diameter given by Bob, would be about 194 cm (76,5”) from the spool. So my estimates for butt and choke guide placement are in the ball park. Since this is a KR concept rod using braid, then the choke and/or stripper can certainly be moved in or out a little to accommodate and any spacing issues.
Norm

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster