I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Exposed blank reel seats
Posted by: Brandon fennimore (---)
Date: January 05, 2023 08:08AM

I just ordered a crb exposes blank blank reel seat and I’m. Curious as to how you go about getting it fitted correctly to the blank with no gaps. They only came in one size. Is it even possible or will it just not work

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Exposed blank reel seats
Posted by: Wade Hirai (---)
Date: January 05, 2023 10:17AM

You have to use an insert. You glue the insert into the reel seat, then you use arbors to glue it to the blank. The actual blank isn't exposed on those type of reel seats unless the blank diameter where you want the seat just happens to match the inside diameter of the seat.

Date: January 05, 2023 03:38PM

Ohhhhh I gotcha okay cool thanks man!!

Posted by: Jason Kraft (---)
Date: January 05, 2023 05:56PM

Does anyone make a spinning seat that will keep the actual blank exposed, or are they all inserts? Havent ever used one of these and have been trying to figure it out by photos.

Posted by: Norman Miller (Moderator)
Date: January 05, 2023 06:37PM

For a one piece exposed blank spinning reel seat the only one I know of is the PacBay GBS reel seat. It has a cut out for your thumb.
Not sure if they are still available. There are a number of two piece spinning seats that have the blank exposed, but I find them uncomfortable.
Norm

Posted by: Wade Hirai (---)
Date: January 05, 2023 07:24PM

The only spinning seats that I know of that have the actual blank exposed are split seats like the Fuji SK2, ALPS SRSGS, Pac Bay Minima, etc.

You'll know if an insert is needed if the seat only comes in one size.

Posted by: Lynn Behler (---.44.66.72.res-cmts.leh.ptd.net)
Date: January 05, 2023 08:39PM

Don't waste money on a Pac Bay GBS if you can even find one.

Posted by: Spencer Phipps (---)
Date: January 05, 2023 08:57PM

If you can touch the blank in the reel seat center it's going to be massively uncomfortable your hand doesn't like being that closed over time, and you have no grip strength there. Ever saw a tool that has to have any force applied to it or from it with that size/style grip?

Date: January 06, 2023 10:21AM

I’m fine with having a insert I just didn’t know because of there only being one size! That makes more sense the crb gce2 is very comfortable which is the one I have

Posted by: roger wilson (---)
Date: January 06, 2023 12:14PM

Brandon,
If you want to use an exposed blank reel seat, then purchase one that is available in a range of sizes.
Then, measure the blank that you are going to use at the location where you are going to place the reel seat, and order the reel seat in that size.
As far as I am concerned, if a reel seat is only available in one size that causes one to use an arbor, I don't see the point of purchasing that reel seat. i.e. by installing an arbor in an exposed blank reel seat, you no longer have an exposed blank, unless you carve away the arbor where you want the blank exposed. But for me, that does not make sense, since in a practical sense you are left with a potentially deep hole that would make that reel seat uncomfortable to fish with.

Here is a pretty good article n reel seats and their selection:

[rodgeeks.com]

Then, for an example:

[mudhole.com]

Notice, there are size 16 and size 17 reel seats available.
Then, below, notice that you also need to specify, the size of the inside diameter of the reel seat.
Use a caliper on your rod blank at the location where you want to mount your reel seat
If you are ordering all of the components at the same time including the rod blank, ask the vendor to measure the rod blank at the location where you plan to mount your reel seat and they can do that for you to have a perfect fitting blank.
Many rod blanks are packed in a plastic sleeve. But the sleeve thickness is thin enough that it will have minimal effect on the measurement of the blank OD for the correct determination of the ID of the reel seat.

Best wishes

Posted by: Lance Schreckenbach (---.lightspeed.hstntx.sbcglobal.net)
Date: January 06, 2023 06:52PM

Casting Reel Seats with actual exposed blanks and not inserts (1 piece): Fuji ACS, ACSM, ECSM, R3200, R3201 & R3230. / 2 Piece: SK2 casting. Seaguide 2 Piece: HSC casting.

Spinning Reel Seat (No insert): Seaguide SAS (1 piece). 2 Piece: Fuji SK2 Spinning and Seaguide HSC spinning.

There are probably other brands but this is what I would use or have used. You will need to buy these by size or the size of where they will fit on the blank. Depending on the blank diameter, like Fuji Point Blank, you will have other options that would normally take an insert but because the blank diameter is so big near the butt, it would work without.

2 spinning reel seats are not very comfortable.

Posted by: Lynn Behler (---.44.66.72.res-cmts.leh.ptd.net)
Date: January 06, 2023 06:56PM

I don't know if we're talking about spinning or casting seats.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster