I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Microwave 20/6 stripper?
Posted by: Fon Tze (---.hsd1.ca.comcast.net)
Date: January 04, 2023 12:46AM

Hey fellas, I have a client that asked me to wrap a spinning steelhead rod for him using the Microwave guides.

I haven't used a Microwave ringset on a build before but have a pretty good idea after reading all the threads here.

Which brings me to my question:

Why are there 3 different "sized" 20/6 stripper guides? Microwave spinning, Microwave AIR, MW20.

Sized I mean, each has a different physical dimension in terms of height, foot length, and overall length.

Are the sizes of the stripper based on intended rod lengths, spool diameter?

I understand there are different ring insert options and frame finishes for each model but I am lost in their physical dimensions and how to choose the correct set.

Thanks!

Fon

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Microwave 20/6 stripper?
Posted by: Don @ American Tackle (---.biz.spectrum.com)
Date: January 04, 2023 10:16AM

Hello Fon,

The difference between the MW Spinning and MW20 is the frame style - A frame VS. Snagless frame

The MW Air is a ceramic-less guide with SS ring inserts.

There are other sizes of MWG available for longer rods and larger spools... these suggestions may help.. (not set in stone)

mw20 - 1500-3500, UL to M, 5' - 7'6"
mw25 - 3000-5500, M to MH, 6'6"- 8'
mw30 - 4500-7000, M to H, 7' - 9'

800-516-1750 ext. 1207 / don@americantackle.us

Rod Building..... It's What We Do.

Posted by: Bill Sidney (---.gci.net)
Date: January 04, 2023 11:44AM

If your friend fishers in cold weather [ freezing ] I don't think it will work with small guides , guides freezing up with the line , just a comment ,

William Sidney
AK

Posted by: Fon Tze (---.hsd1.ca.comcast.net)
Date: January 04, 2023 06:47PM

Thanks fellas!

@ Don, which stripper guide would you recommend for 9.5' and 10.5' steelhead blanks using braid mainline and 4000 sized Shimano reel.

That would help me a lot to talk with my client.

Thanks

Fon

Posted by: Richard Bowers (---.ptld.qwest.net)
Date: January 04, 2023 11:52PM

Fon,

In my opinion, the best set for your situation would be the MW25's. Those are the ones Don indicated for reel sizes between 3000 and 5500. I use them on all of my inshore spinning outfits and absolutely LOVE them! Another big help is the MW packaging gives you the spacing for the first three guides (from the butt) - these measurements have been calibrated to exacting standards and they work great. Just make sure you have the reel in it's correct location and the spool at it's max height when you measure for the stripper guide location. For months, I was struggling, wondering why my measurements kept changing by small amounts, until the light came on! I sure felt silly, still chuckle at that faux pas.

For the running guides, you can use static deflection tests to determine if you have enough guides and identify their placement.

Rich

Posted by: Spencer Phipps (---)
Date: January 05, 2023 02:05PM

A rod's length won't change you guide reduction needs, it is the same for 5 ft. and 15 ft. rods, the amount of running guides is the only difference.

Posted by: Robert A. Guist (---.res6.spectrum.com)
Date: January 05, 2023 03:41PM

Hello Fon.

With longer rods the kit may not have enough running guides, so check, I keep extra runners of each type that I use so if I get a long rod, I will have extras if I need them. (They sell extra runners by each).

Good Day.

Tight Wraps & Tighter Lines.

Bob,

New Bern, NC.

Posted by: Don @ American Tackle (---.biz.spectrum.com)
Date: January 06, 2023 10:17AM

Fon,

Either the MW25 or the MW30 would be great choices. The mw25 comes with 6mm runners and the mw30 is 8mm runners. Depending on if your client fishes cold weather or not the larger may be better for less ice up possibility.

Extra running guides are available for all MWG sets.

The reason I mentioned length. I have found that larger running guides help with casting distance on longer rods running the same casting weights.

800-516-1750 ext. 1207 / don@americantackle.us

Rod Building..... It's What We Do.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster