I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Crappie rod blank
Posted by: Keith Langford (---)
Date: January 03, 2023 09:00PM

Hey guys, could someone recommend a good rod blank for a crappie rod, 6'6" and guide selection, I like Fuji and usually use 4.5 KB,KT runners , love Point Blank and have built all my rods ( 7) using them. just don't know about the best choices for lighter stuff, probably will see nothing but roadrunners and jigs in the 1/64- 1/8 range. Thank you in advance.

Keith Langford

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Crappie rod blank
Posted by: Kevin Fiant (75.76.245.---)
Date: January 07, 2023 09:27AM

Unfortunately I don’t have any recommendations as I’m a new builder. However, I am also interested in recommendations on panfish rods so bumping this thread.

Date: January 10, 2023 03:21PM

Nobody got nothing, point blank, Batson, North Fork. Anybody, somebody. Thank you.

Posted by: Norman Miller (Moderator)
Date: January 10, 2023 03:40PM

I haven’t tried the PB661LF for Crappie but it might be worth a try. It’s rated 1/32 to 1/4 oz. For my crappie rods I’ve been using the MHX S841 and they work just fine with small jigs. Catch a lot of fish with them, plus my 10’ jig poles.
Norm

Posted by: Patrick Noll (---)
Date: January 10, 2023 06:27PM

I like the mhx s721, not quite there in length but it’s a fun little rod for crappies.

Posted by: El Bolinger (---.bstnma.fios.verizon.net)
Date: January 10, 2023 07:00PM

I might be wrong because I'm new, but whiteout experience would dictate thar a rod as ultra light action as that would not need to be top of the line. The sensitivity would be in its ease of deflection rather than any vibration transfer through the blank.

If you're using braid or braid to leader you could probably get away with a little bit of a sturdier blank without losing casting distance and let the drag handle the rest, plus I feel this helps with hook penetration and will add to any sensitivity anyway ( rod will deflect just as easily but add a little puul/feel once it gets to the muscle).

Maybe this is an opportunity to explore a company you aren't very familiar with yourself and dip your toes into one of their mid level blanks.

It do something crazy like get an 11 foot fly rod and build a crappie rod out of the top if it and a short stout rod with the bottom... I know, I know - I said it was crazy.

Good luck with the build bro

Posted by: Spencer Phipps (---)
Date: January 10, 2023 07:18PM

That would be a very light power blank for 1/64 oz and top out at 1/8 oz. Might try a 2-wt. fly blank like the REVF662-2SB.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/10/2023 07:20PM by Spencer Phipps.

Posted by: Ronald Atchley (96.125.236.---)
Date: January 10, 2023 08:40PM

Keith,
Man , you're throwing some small stuff .
I built on a Rainshadow Revelation REVS72ML-SC which is rated 1/8-3/8 oz. It's my go to rig if there's a school of crappie around . Love it . For the size baits you'll be throwing , I think the Rainshadow Revelation REVS68UL-SB would be a blank worth looking at . It's 6 feet 8 inches and rated for 1/32 - 3/16 . You can seldom go wrong with advice from either Norm Miller or Spencer Phipps . The 2-wt fly blank is a great idea and , as you know , you couldn't possibly go wrong with Norm's suggestion of the Point Blank PB661LF .
Ron

Posted by: Herb Ladenheim (185.203.218.---)
Date: January 10, 2023 09:24PM

Kieth,
You have to have some patience to allow people to log on to RB.prg.
We're not on htre 24/7.
Herb

That being said - CTS has a model "AIR" Turbo Taper (fine tip - strong Butt) one-piece 7'6" 1/32 - 1/8oz
Herb
CTS

Date: January 10, 2023 10:44PM

Herb, meant no disrespect and I knew I had come to the right place, Norman and the gang here have helped me tremendously. Sorry for the impatience fellows. Would this blank work for a dock shooter as well, and do you need to do anything different with the guides for a dock shooter. was reading an article on it and they were using St. Croix Avid X AXS69MLF, and were loving them. Norm what kind of 10' rod are you building, two piece I presume, I am looking into making one of those as well for longpoling and vertical jigging.Thank you all again.

Posted by: Herb Ladenheim (185.197.193.---)
Date: January 11, 2023 11:15AM

Keith,
My commebt was tongue in cheek - kidding you.
Dock shootion - sure - but at that lure rating - better not catch anything that is going to wrap you around a dock support.
Herb

Posted by: Norman Miller (Moderator)
Date: January 11, 2023 11:58AM

For my crappie jig rods I use 10’ two piece Revelation fly rod blanks in 5 and 6 wgt. I set them up as fly rods with Minima guides, using inexpensive fly reels and line with a 10 lb mono leader. I use them with or without a snap-on unweighted Thill bobber. I don’t cast these, In shallow water I flip them toward structure, or in deeper water fish vertically. The use of fly line makes it much easier to strip-in the fish. Very few people fish for crappie in a similar manner, but I catch a lot of fish with these rods. The reservoir I live on is a great crappie lake with 2 pounders being quite common with many 3 pounders being caught. I make or modify a lot of crappie rods every year, many of them are built on light steelhead rods from 8’3” to 10’6”. They use them for long distance casting of light jigs and/or float and fly rigs below the spillway or off the bank.
Norm

Posted by: roger wilson (---)
Date: January 11, 2023 02:13PM

My favorite crappie blank by far is a 7'10" steel head blank that I built up many years ago.
Without a doubt, it still puts more fish in the boat than any other rod.

Check out the longer lighter steel head blanks for a crappie rod.

Take care

Posted by: Lucas Houtsma (---)
Date: January 16, 2023 06:27PM

I'm currently building a couple on the NFC P-700 xray blank that I am hoping work very well for crappie and panfish. Going with ips soft touch carbon split grips from them along with cork hidden thread foregrips.

I am new to the forum and just getting into this wonderful hobby!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/16/2023 06:28PM by Lucas Houtsma.

Posted by: Lee Swaim (---)
Date: January 16, 2023 08:56PM

I really like the 6'6" blank from RodGeeks. C266MLF and I have made quite a few for customers that use them specifically for crappie. Good luck.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster