I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Epoxy Finish Questions
Posted by: Kevin Fiant (---.oh.cpe.breezeline.net)
Date: January 01, 2023 10:51AM

Happy New Year

After finishing up my first build had a couple questions about finish. Wanted to try and include a couple pics so uploaded them on photos side but cannot figure out where they went...? Using computer (Mac) to try and do this but can't seem to figure out where my uploaded pics went...?

Anyhow, for reference my workspace is in my basement and the average temp there is between 62-65 deg pretty much year around. I know that is not ideal temp but its the space I have atleast for another couple years until my youngest is out of high school.

My questions:
1. With regard to the different finish products are there any that perform and/or set a bit better in slightly cooler than optimal conditions? I used ProKote as part of a Mud Hole kit with this first go around. I had a small electric heater setup near the rod while drying but it didn't seem to do much and eventually the heater quit working. Not sure if it got too hot or what... It probably took a good 36 hours before the finish wasn't tacky.

2. Now that finish is dry it seems "glossy". Not necessarily a bad thing but it does seem to stand out against the unpainted blank more than I was expecting. Do some of the different finish products tend to set with a more or less glossy appearance? Pics would have helped with this one... I'll try and figure out how to add some on iPhone.

I've got a bigger heater on order but still not sure if it will do much to raise temp in my basement space. Otherwise was thinking I might have to setup something upstairs on a wall to allow me to dry rods in closer to 70 deg temp. Not crazy about doing that because we have (3) cats that like to get into everything and I figure they will want to mess with my rod drying... :)

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Epoxy Finish Questions
Posted by: Kevin Fiant (75.76.245.---)
Date: January 01, 2023 10:53AM

Posted by: Kevin Fiant (75.76.245.---)
Date: January 01, 2023 11:00AM

It is hard to get pics posted. Hopefully this work…

Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: January 01, 2023 11:03AM

All the common epoxy wrap finishes will be clear-glossy. If your work area is 62F to 65F you can expect a much longer set and cure time. I don't see any issues that would cause me to think you're having some sort of problem.

Posted by: Dennis Danku (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: January 01, 2023 11:45AM

Kevin, I also work in my basement for over 40 years and never had a problem with epoxy drying. Be careful with unattended heaters, I use a space heater in the winter to be comfortable, not for the finish.
Stay in the basement away from the cats,Make that space yours. Try other epoxy's.

Dennis J. Danku
(Sayreville,NJ)

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/01/2023 11:48AM by Dennis Danku.

Posted by: Lynn Behler (---.44.66.72.res-cmts.leh.ptd.net)
Date: January 01, 2023 07:58PM

Dennis X2

Posted by: Phil Erickson (---)
Date: January 01, 2023 10:05PM

First of all, epoxy does not dry! It cures through the two part reaction. Temperature has a significant effect upon the cure time, the ideal is 72 degrees or above if you wish to accelerate the cure.

My experience is that most of the epoxy brands have slightly different cure times and/or pot life. CTS Crystal Coat being the slowest by far and ProKote being next. Additionally in my experience the lite formulas tend to cure slower.

As I really like the Clarity and other properties of Crystal Coat so much, I built a hot box to accelerate the curing time.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/07/2023 11:50AM by Phil Erickson.

Posted by: El Bolinger (71.184.77.---)
Date: January 06, 2023 11:28PM

@PHIL can you share your homemade hot box? I was looking at the CRB tent rod hot box thing but I can't pull the trigger right now for that price, hoping I can learn another new skill and build a hot box haha. Thanks!

Posted by: Jeff Shafer (---.s3309.c3-0.atw-cbr4.atw.pa.cable.rcncustomer.com)
Date: January 07, 2023 01:24PM

I've used a electric space heater in my workshop area over the years. For safety, I recently located a grounded timer socket that is said to be rated 15a/1875w. The face of the timer has 15min/30min/1hr/2hr/4hr/6hr timer selection buttons, plus an on/off button that I never use. Reliability has been been good so far, but since it was inexpensive I can't comment on durability.

"The greatest barrier to discovery is not ignorance, it's the illusion of knowledge" - Daniel J. Boorstin

Posted by: Robert A. Guist (---.res6.spectrum.com)
Date: January 07, 2023 01:32PM

Hello El.

Here are some "Boxes" some are for heat others are for dust, but they should all work, two of these are made by Mark Talmo and he may have all the plans on his, you can always ask.

[www.rodbuilding.org]

[www.rodbuilding.org]

[www.rodbuilding.org]

[www.rodbuilding.org]

[www.rodbuilding.org]

[www.rodbuilding.org]

[www.rodbuilding.org]

Tight Wraps & Tighter Lines.

Bob,

New Bern, NC.

Posted by: Phil Erickson (---)
Date: January 07, 2023 02:15PM

El, your email is hidden, so I have posted a photo under "miscellaneous"

[www.rodbuilding.org]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/07/2023 02:19PM by Phil Erickson.

Posted by: Kevin Fiant (---)
Date: January 08, 2023 02:59PM

Thanks for sharing several pics of rod drying cabinets. Definitely gives me some ideas on what may work in my space. Getting ready to finish rod#2 and for this one will just have my space heater going while I am home as it gets my workspace up to 70+ pretty easily.

Just out of curiosity are there any potential curing issues with temperature adjustments during the curing process? i.e. while I'm home and can pay attention to heater my temp should be 70+. At night or while I'm away the space drops down to 62-65 deg. Do those up/down temps impact the finish?

Posted by: Norman Miller (Moderator)
Date: January 08, 2023 03:16PM

No, it will cure fine at lower temperatures just takes longer.
Norm

Posted by: Mark Talmo (---)
Date: January 08, 2023 04:04PM

Kevin,
For our purposes in rod building, temperature fluctuations of curing epoxy is not a big deal as Norman stated, but will require more time. Consistent temps and proper ramping up at the beginning and then back down at the end of the cure cycle is much more critical with structural epoxies and composite laminates. That being said, virtually all epoxies will benefit from an elevated temp post cure. Specific-application epoxies aside, most others, including the ones used in rod building, are considered “low temp” (<150*F); after the initial cure, a post cure of 150*F for 3-6 hours will produce the ultimate cure and expedite the final cured state along with eliminating any softening if exposed to elevated temps later (such as inside a hot car). Basically, epoxies are stable only to the temp they were last exposed to.

Mark Talmo
FISHING IS NOT AN ESCAPE FROM LIFE BUT RATHER A DEEPER IMMERSION INTO IT!!! BUILDING YOUR OWN SIMPLY ENHANCES THE EXPERIENCE.

Posted by: El Bolinger (50.233.0.---)
Date: January 10, 2023 12:39PM

WOW, those look awesome! thanks for sharing yall. There is certainly no way I have the space of skill required for all those. How much of a difference does having a drying box/tent make?

If it is worth it maybe I'll just grab the CRB tent

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster