I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Why assemble the tip top first?
Posted by: Ernie Blum (---)
Date: December 29, 2022 04:01PM

This question is probably a little embarrassing, but quite honestly, I'm getting too old to care. But in the interest of trying to learn something new every day, I will ask.

I see that the "standard" way of assembling a rod is to mount the tip top after your reel seat is in its proper place, and mounting the remainder of the guides from the butt end forward. Why?

I have always mounted the tip top last, and the stripping guide first, working my way to the top. The reason for this has been that it seems a whole lot easier for me to align two components that are less than two feet from each other than it is to align two components that are eight feet from each other. But my mind is open. What is it that I don't know?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Why assemble the tip top first?
Posted by: Russell Brunt (---)
Date: December 29, 2022 04:16PM

IMHO the quick and easy way to answer is the following. A longer sight radius gives you better accuracy.

But hey, do what works for you.

Russ in Hollywood, FL.

Posted by: Kevin Fiant (---.oh.cpe.breezeline.net)
Date: December 29, 2022 04:24PM

First my disclaimer... I am working on my 1st custom build so take my comments as such. Most everything I have learned has been from here or from YouTube videos. What I did after seat assembly was cured out was to "dry fit" all my intermediate guides using rubber bands (or something else strong enough to temporarily hold guides) and then to place the tip-top on permanently using tip-top heat glue. The reason for that is so that I could static load test the rod and adjust any all of the intermediate guides before wrapping them. Made sense to me so I went with it. After load test done and any guides adjusted for better load distribution I then noted my final guide arrangement and wrapped everything. My two cents....

Posted by: Michael Danek (---.adr01.alma.mi.frontiernet.net)
Date: December 29, 2022 04:29PM

Agree with Russell.

Kevin , if you use a two line method for stress testing it doesn't take much to hold the guides since they don't take the load of the blank being stressed. AND, they can easily be adjusted for position without unloading the rod. See the tutorial at Anglersresource.net if not already familiar with it.

Posted by: Kevin Fiant (---.oh.cpe.breezeline.net)
Date: December 29, 2022 04:44PM

Michael Danek Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Agree with Russell.
>
> Kevin , if you use a two line method for stress
> testing it doesn't take much to hold the guides
> since they don't take the load of the blank being
> stressed. AND, they can easily be adjusted for
> position without unloading the rod. See the
> tutorial at Anglersresource.net if not already
> familiar with it.

Sorry I didn't explain it very well. I did do the 2 line stress test. What I was thinking as the primary reason to "permanently" attach tip-top before the rest of guides was so that you could do the 2-line test. That's what I was trying to get across. Anyhow, if I put the tip-top on first and find out I didn't get it aligned correctly it is easy enough to hit top with a little heat and adjust as needed.

Like Ernie, I'm trying to learn a little something everyday so will put a check in that box for today...

Posted by: Russell Brunt (---)
Date: December 29, 2022 05:01PM

Kevin I think you might have hit on an something important for Ernie. Good catch!

It never occurred to me that he might be wrapping the guides (or deciding on final placement) as he worked his way up the rod.

Can't be letting him skip that static line test.

Russ in Hollywood, FL.

Posted by: chris c nash (---.atmc.net)
Date: December 29, 2022 05:17PM

Attaching the tip top is the first thing I do after I spine the blank and decide which way I'm going to build it and it's for visual reference more than anything else . Only after that's done do I move on to the reel seat, after the reel seat placement I move to the reduction guide decisions The static test and running guide placement is the very last thing I do.

Date: December 29, 2022 05:38PM

I never readjust the tip top after setting it exactly where it should be on any particular build . I rely on the tip top to align my reel seat and guides . The first guide that goes on after the tiptop and reel seat is the collector and then the choke guide . I check alignment of the guides by running a taught piece of braid or similar line from the very bottom of the collector to the bottom of the choke to the bottom of the tip top which will instantly reveal if everything's perfectly straight . I flip the rod upside down before doing this .

Posted by: Norman Miller (Moderator)
Date: December 29, 2022 07:02PM

I find the straightest axis, put the tip top on, then align the reel seat/grip to the tip top and glue in place. I then calculate where the guides go, tape then in position, and do a static test to fine tune. I then wrap from the butt towards the tip. Just my way of doing it, and it works for me.
Norm

Posted by: Herb Ladenheim (181.214.150.---)
Date: December 29, 2022 08:18PM

Kevin is correct.
Herb

Posted by: roger wilson (---)
Date: December 31, 2022 12:42PM

Ernie,
When placing guides, I will place a cut off spinning reel foot into the reel seat and use it for a sighting device. Then, I start with the stripper and work all of the way to the tip, putting the tip top on last.

By having the chopped off reel foot sticking up in the air, or an an angle toward me, it is very very easy to place all of the guides at that exact same angle to maintain a straight line.

Take care

Posted by: Spencer Phipps (---)
Date: December 31, 2022 01:56PM

Much of my building is done on blanks that wouldn't allow the grips, arbors, and reel seats to go on the rod if I put the tip top on first.

Posted by: John DeMartini (---.res.spectrum.com)
Date: December 31, 2022 01:57PM

Ernie,

I do it the same as Roger. If you don't have a scrap spinning reel to cut down, you can order a similar type tool from Mud hole, item "CRB-ALNMT".

Have fun

Posted by: Tom Wewerka (---)
Date: January 01, 2023 11:36AM

roger wilson Wrote:
> Ernie,
> When placing guides, I will place a cut off
> spinning reel foot into the reel seat and use it
> for a sighting device. Then, I start with the
> stripper and work all of the way to the tip,
> putting the tip top on last.
>
> By having the chopped off reel foot sticking up in
> the air, or an an angle toward me, it is very very
> easy to place all of the guides at that exact same
> angle to maintain a straight line.
>
> Take care

I do the exact same thing as Roger and the cutoff spinning reel foot works great and was FREE.

Tom

Posted by: El Bolinger (50.233.0.---)
Date: January 10, 2023 01:33PM

I might give gluing tip top first to see how it works for me.

@SPENCER why wouldn't gluing tip top first work for your builds? Do you still do it after the grips/seat and static test after that?

@CHRIS how do you do your braid guide alignment check? do you attach a reel and a light weight to the end of the line?

I have an old Shakespeare ultra light spinning that busted - I'm going to try to find a way to chop the reel off, I think I have a little hack saw somewhere.

I saw a video of a guy using a laser to line up the guides - any thoughts on that?

Posted by: Tom Wewerka (---)
Date: January 10, 2023 02:10PM

El Bolinger Wrote:
> I might give gluing tip top first to see how it
> works for me.
>
> @SPENCER why wouldn't gluing tip top first work
> for your builds? Do you still do it after the
> grips/seat and static test after that?
>
> @CHRIS how do you do your braid guide alignment
> check? do you attach a reel and a light weight to
> the end of the line?
>
> I have an old Shakespeare ultra light spinning
> that busted - I'm going to try to find a way to
> chop the reel off, I think I have a little hack
> saw somewhere.
>
> I saw a video of a guy using a laser to line up
> the guides - any thoughts on that?

Ed
I don't put the tip on first , because I attach the guides to the rod using 1/8 in and !/16 dental ligatures , the smaller ones won't fit over the tip top. You just slide them in place and put the guide under the rubber band. It is so easy and no glue to contend with so its cleaner.

Another advantage of the cutoff reel seat is that if you have a power wrapper you can wrap a rubber band around it and attach to one of the jaws on the lathe and it will never come out of the chuck.

The plastic laser tool is junk. Its been mentioned on the forum many times. I threw mine in the trash.

Tom

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/10/2023 02:12PM by Tom Wewerka.

Posted by: Norman Miller (Moderator)
Date: January 10, 2023 04:18PM

Here is an alignment tool that some use. Saves you from destroying a reel.
[mudhole.com]
I use my wife as a guide alignment tool. She sights down the blank and tells me how to move the guides to get them in perfect alignment. She done thousands of rods since we have been married.

Norm

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/10/2023 04:21PM by Norman Miller.

Date: January 10, 2023 05:04PM

El Bolinger Wrote:

> @CHRIS how do you do your braid guide alignment
> check? do you attach a reel and a light weight to
> the end of the line?

I attach my spinning reel with the spool removed to the reel seat and flip the blank over so it's upside down on the rod wrapper and secure it like that . I then tie braided line to the spool axle end of the reel and then take the other end of that braid and thread that piece over the middle of the tip top ring and through the ring underneath taping the braid to the blank . You then just pull the taped end of the braid until it's nice and taught and you will end up with a perfectly straight line from the spinning reel spool shaft to the middle of the tip top ring . That taught piece of braided line not only reveals what the exact height your guides should be for that particular spinning reel but also where they need to be located to have perfectly straight alignment . The only thing the builder needs to figure out now is what size guide rings to use and that will be determined by what type and size of line you plan on using . The exact height of the guides and alignment of the guides is already known .

I forgot one important point , You need to decide where the choke guide goes first . You run that taught piece of braid to the choke NOT the tip top first . Only tie the braid to the tip top for perfect alignment of the runners . The transition guide heights are shown when you run the taught braided line to the choke .

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/10/2023 05:09PM by chris c nash.

Posted by: Phil Erickson (---)
Date: January 10, 2023 05:35PM

One of the neat things about doing multi piece rods, is that you are working with short sections, that only have to have guides aligned on that section! I only build fly rods, and usually the butt section does not have guide on it, so no issue aligning with the reel seat. The last section, I do the tip top last. After all the sections are finished, I add alignment dot to the sections to make the assembly easy. My clients love the alignment ease, and often ask me to add the dots to their commercial rods. I do it for a modest fee.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster