I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Proper Blank / Rod Storage
Posted by: Mark Talmo (---)
Date: December 29, 2022 12:14AM

OK, it is a given that we all build custom fishing rods. With the exception of those rods that we build for a particular customer within a specific timeframe, how do you store your other masterpieces which might take “awhile” before they are delivered? For that matter, how do you store your own personal rods? Time length type of storage is the main question.
While a rod propped against the wall for a short period of time may not be noticeably affected by “taking a set”, left long enough in a “bent” condition, it could very easily take on that induced bend. Although the old school polyester (AKA FG) resin may be more prone to “taking a set”, modern day “wazoo” epoxies are still plastics nonetheless and are not devoid of deformation.
So, what precautions do you employ to keep that “perfectly straight” blank form taking on a curved “set” while stored?
This does not necessarily apply to those who may only have a few blanks / rod to store; I have over 40.

Mark Talmo
FISHING IS NOT AN ESCAPE FROM LIFE BUT RATHER A DEEPER IMMERSION INTO IT!!! BUILDING YOUR OWN SIMPLY ENHANCES THE EXPERIENCE.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Proper Blank / Rod Storage
Posted by: Aaron Petersen (12.144.64.---)
Date: December 29, 2022 07:18AM

I made a custom oak stand that holds all rods vertical with nothing on the tips. The highest point of contact is near the stripper guides. Here is an old photo of when I first got it and put all my old rods on to test it out.

[www.rodbuilding.org]

I guess I need to get the app to make the phone length photo not get blown out. Sorry for the quality.

I make sure no tension is on lines and anymore I completely remove the lures. I have a few of these now and am working on a new stand that holds them all along a wall without leaning into it.

Posted by: Michael Danek (---.adr01.alma.mi.frontiernet.net)
Date: December 29, 2022 07:43AM

Mark, I have to process a photo for you, will send to your email.

Can't get it to work here.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/29/2022 07:45AM by Michael Danek.

Posted by: Roger Templon (---.paw.cpe.atlanticbb.net)
Date: December 29, 2022 06:01PM

Mark

I store my unbuilt blanks in a couple of 6" diameter 7' long cardboard blank shipping tubes that have been hung horizontally on my open joist basement ceiling. I have stored as many 30 - 35 blanks in 2 tubes with lots of room to spare. Just remember to leave enough room at one end to slide the blanks in and out of the tubes.

Rog

Posted by: Phil Erickson (---)
Date: December 30, 2022 12:35PM

I store my fly rods broken down (mostly 4 pc), vertically. Most are in tubes, a few in rod socks. Work in process, I have horizontal racks that hold each section separately.

[www.rodbuilding.org]

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 01/01/2023 03:10PM by Phil Erickson.

Date: December 30, 2022 04:57PM

Aaron, Michael, Roger and Phil,
Thank you for taking the time to reply. With blank / rod storage confronting all rod builders, I am surprised to have not received more replies.
Has anyone attempted hanging their rods from the tip top via a small hook? What would the possible pros and cons be?

Mark Talmo
FISHING IS NOT AN ESCAPE FROM LIFE BUT RATHER A DEEPER IMMERSION INTO IT!!! BUILDING YOUR OWN SIMPLY ENHANCES THE EXPERIENCE.

Posted by: Michael Danek (---.adr01.alma.mi.frontiernet.net)
Date: December 30, 2022 05:35PM

I hang a fly rod from a guide on an "L" hook in my pole barn, keeps the reel off the floor and does not in any way load the blank so as to induce a set. I've done it for years. The setup I sent you a pic of is more efficient for shorter rods and for more rods. Both work fine. The long fly rod is a special case and it hangs from about the 2nd or third guide from the tip.

Posted by: Norman Miller (Moderator)
Date: December 30, 2022 06:08PM

I just have a bunch of Berkley vertical rod racks attached to the back wall of my shop. They have worked very well for the past 21 years.
[www.berkley-fishing.com]
Norm

Date: December 30, 2022 10:15PM

Thanks Michael and Norman for your valued, veteran insight.
Michael; it is comforting to learn that you agree hanging the rod by the tip top (2nd or 3rd guide in your fly rod case) “...does not in any way load the blank so as to induce a set”. That was one of my biggest concerns as the eye of the tip top (guide) is not not centered to the centerline of the blank which does create a tic of off-center pull on the blank. Apparently, you agree it is not significant enough to matter.
Norman; the basic design of your Berkley Vertical 6 - Rod Rack was my initial idea as well and similar in design as used with the charter boats out here on the Left Coast. The ease of putting in or taking out a rod, durability as well, with such a system is pretty hard to beat. While certainly a tried-and-true concept, I was looking for something different to accommodate my own situation. You know me, always trying to build a better mousetrap.
Thanks again to those responding for their replies. While the topic may not actually be rod “building” related, nonetheless we are all confronted with how to protect and present our prized offerings.

Mark Talmo

Posted by: roger wilson (---)
Date: December 31, 2022 12:29PM

Over the years, I have made a bunch of stands like these:
[www.rodbuilding.org]

I was at a surplus store one day and ran across a pile of pre finished Oak stool tops for a very very reasonable price.

I bought a bunch of them and over the years, have used forester bit to drill part way through the wood stool top to accommodate appropriately sized piece of pvc pipe.

When working on a bunch of rods, it is easy to have a few of these in different areas of the shop to store rods, rod blanks, and complete rods. Depending on the need for just storing blanks, partially built or completed rods, different sized and different length sections of pvc pipe can be used to act as rod holders.

Also, for taking rods on a fishing trip where I want a convenient rod holder for holding finished rods loaded with reels, lines and lures I have made similar holders in a straight line configuration as in the case when using a 2x6 board for the base. That way, if one is in a cabin or room at a resort, the stand can be placed against a wall and hold a double row of rods after coming in from the water and having a need for storage, or a place to hold the rod while rerigging for the next days fishing efforts.

Also, for some of the stands, I will drill an appropriate sized hole in the center of the base and glue in a 3 or 4 foot long 1/2 inch dowel to act as a handle. I will put a rope loop in the end, so that if I have a loaded stand or rod blanks, built up rods or completed rods with reels and lures on the, one can just grab the rope loop on the dowel and move the entire complement of rod blanks, rods, or fishing rods from place to place with no hassle.

Take care

Date: December 31, 2022 03:41PM

Thanks Roger. I have seen your stands a number of times and consider them to be quite attractive, functional and straightforward to construct.

Mark Talmo

Posted by: El Bolinger (---.bstnma.fios.verizon.net)
Date: January 01, 2023 09:22AM

Ask of these things look great! I don't have any wood working skills or tools, and I have rods too tall to comfortably be placed in a stand vertically; so I bought a horizontal rod rack from Amazon. Haven't set it up yet, but looks prefect. Plus I wanted my rods bit to take up floor space since we moved into a much smaller place.

Posted by: roger wilson (---)
Date: January 01, 2023 01:01PM

El,
If you want to store rods horizontally and avoid any issues, just build yourself a 12 foot long box with 6 inch sides.
This will let you store about 200 blanks and or 50 built up rods in a pretty compact space.

Use about 3 shelf hangers to support the box and you will be set.

Posted by: El Bolinger (50.233.0.---)
Date: January 10, 2023 01:38PM

@ROGER I would be nervous to put 50 finished rods just willy nilly together in a box, do you do anything to protect them or prevent damage? But honestly If I ever have 50 finished rods at the same time my wife would probably have me committed.

Maybe I could try to find a way to either use full rod tubes (cardboard and/or pvc) or cut them in half and make a couple of racks that way to separate blanks by intended use or power or something.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster