I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Pacific Bay Minima Guides Discontinued?
Posted by: Eric Garza (---.burlingtontelecom.net)
Date: December 28, 2022 03:55PM

I read on another threat the suggestion that Pac Bay's Minima line of guides are being discontinued. I checked Mudhole, and sure 'nuff they have all their Minimas on clearance. This is news to me. Anyone have any sense why this line was axed? It seems like people talk about the guides all the time, so I assume they are being bought and used...

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Pacific Bay Minima Guides Discontinued?
Posted by: Steven Paris (---.37.17.98.dynamic.ip.windstream.net)
Date: December 28, 2022 04:28PM

One of my favorites.

Posted by: Richard Bowers (---.ptld.qwest.net)
Date: December 28, 2022 06:01PM

I don't know if the PacBay Minima's are being discontinued or not, but I do know of some alternatives! American Tackle has several lines with Stainless Steel rings, including their MicroWave AirWaves and TiForged Air. Great guides!

Posted by: Norman Miller (Moderator)
Date: December 28, 2022 06:17PM

I don’t think it just the Minima guides. It appears that most PacBay products are becoming more difficult to find. Not sure if the company is in trouble, but it sure seems that way. Utmost doesn’t have any PacBay products listed.
Norm

Posted by: Dan Ertz (---)
Date: December 29, 2022 09:16AM

Mudhole's CRB SSR Match-Style Light-Duty Spinning Guides - Model MXG, etc. are very similar and well made.

I hope that Pac Bay is just temporarily shifting its business focus due to supply chain issues in China, etc. and that their products will be back soon.

Posted by: david taylor (---)
Date: December 29, 2022 06:15PM

I agree that many a Pac Bay offering is no longer available at a number or reputable on-line vendors. Either the supply chain issue has disproportionally hit them hard, they are revamping their business, or they are in overall trouble. They have not put out a new catalog since Oct. 23 of 2019.

Posted by: Marc Morrone (---.dsl.airstreamcomm.net)
Date: December 29, 2022 08:08PM

American Tackle Vortex Air are really nice, as are the SSR guides from Mud Hole.

Posted by: Norman Miller (Moderator)
Date: December 29, 2022 08:24PM

In addition, SeaGuide has a complete line of Minima like guides, which are very nice.
Norm

Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: December 30, 2022 07:50AM

I wouldn't hold my breath on seeing anything new or even much of the usual from PacBay. Their issues go beyond inventory and supply chain issues currently.

Nearly all the guide suppliers have added a Minima style guide to their line ups over the past half dozen years. If you're going to be at the Expo in February, you can see the ones offered by American Tackle and SeaGuide in person. Last year, Rick Hall from SeaGuide showed me some minima style guides carrying new lightweight ceramic rings that are actually lighter than the standard plated ring minima types.

Date: December 30, 2022 09:45AM

I am familiar with their line, and having bought and used them I would say they were higher quality than the PacBay versions. I am not lamenting PacBay's discontinuation of their Minima line insomuch as I'm expressing surprise that they stopped production. As you and others have pointed out, there are plenty of other options out there.

Date: December 30, 2022 09:46AM

Interesting regarding the minima style guides with ceramic inserts. Do you know off hand what the models are for those?

Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: December 30, 2022 02:21PM

Shoot an email over to SeaGuide and Rick Hall can give you the specific model numbers.

Posted by: John Nesse (---)
Date: December 30, 2022 02:38PM

Was it the Seaguide HLG? [sea-guide.com]

On a related note, I'm impressed by the look of their TiXOHG but I'm not sure it's the "minima style" we're talking about. [sea-guide.com]

Posted by: Arthur Lin (---.biz.spectrum.com)
Date: December 30, 2022 05:03PM

RS rings are a unique ceramic lighter, up to size 20, then stainless. RS rings are made in a very specialized facility in which only a handful exist that can produce them. The original use of the material was for ball bearings in jet engines. They are made under extreme heat and under extreme pressure. The rings go with all frame designs and actually make guides with these rings a fantastic combination.

This is the HLG with RS rings.

[rodbuilderswarehouse.com]

All frames with stainless rings including the new Delta stainless ring frames. [rodbuilderswarehouse.com]

[rodbuilderswarehouse.com]

Date: December 30, 2022 05:27PM

I'm guessing Tom is referring to their HLG model, which comes with their silicon nitride ring. You can find it on the rodbuilderswarehouse.com website. I have seen SeaGuide's SiN rings. They are quite nice. Not quite as thin as Fuji's Torzite, but pretty close. SiN's density is much lower than stainless steel, so I'm not surprised the weight of these guides is on the low side. It would be interesting to weigh identical sizes of HLG guides with SiN rings next to HLGs with stainless steel rings. It would not surprise me if the SiNs were lighter, though the SS ringed guides would certainly be a lot cheaper.

Posted by: Fon Tze (---.hsd1.ca.comcast.net)
Date: December 31, 2022 08:50AM

For the sake of discussion, I had emailed PB regarding the Minima M and received a reply from Karen Galvan.

The Minima is sill a valid product in the line up with no plans to discontinue.

That said, she did not provide any insite on availability other than retailers place volume orders and the orders are fulfilled.

Carol @ Utmost indicated they are not taking orders from PB but did not elaborate on reasoning in another email exchange.

Speaking for myself, I am hoping PB gets back on track; I do enjoy using the TiBlack titanium M and F guides.

Wish they still had a presence here though...after Geoff left it wasn't the same.

Posted by: Mo Yang (---.socal.res.rr.com)
Date: January 17, 2023 09:35PM

Which reminds me that I still have a bunch of Minima guides... Need to go dig them up.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster