I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

CCS Measuring Question - Guide orientation
Posted by: Kevin Fiant (---.oh.cpe.breezeline.net)
Date: December 27, 2022 11:24PM

I've been reading up on CCS and starting doing some measurements on my current factory rods. Anyhow, one thing that I noticed reading some of the CCS reference info is that there is a bit of discrepancy on how the rod should be oriented when taking measurements. The Simplified Common Cents article says guides up while the Common Cents Quick Tips article says guides should be opposite of how you would fish (i.e. Spinning and Fly guides up while Casting guides down). I've been going with the guides being opposite of how you would fish thus far for all my measurements. Haven't tested it out to see how big a difference it makes but the quick tips guide indicates it is a small but measurable difference.

Below is the links to the two articles:
[www.common-cents.info]

[www.common-cents.info]

Anyhow just wondering if anyone can confirm that measurements should be taken with guides opposite of how you fish with the rod?
Also, does anyone have any background on the orientation? Measuring things opposite of how you would be fishing with the rod seems counter-intuitive.

Anyhow, I think it will be pretty cool to get measurements on all my current rods to help gauge additional rods I'd like to build to fill in the gaps and/or replace rods I don't like all that much.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: CCS Measuring Question - Guide orientation
Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: December 28, 2022 07:38AM

Depending on the axis you place up, it will make a difference but not much. I did some tests earlier and the difference between any two axis was only something like .2 ERN.

Re: CCS Measuring Question - Guide orientation
Posted by: Michael Danek (---.adr01.alma.mi.frontiernet.net)
Date: December 28, 2022 07:41AM

I suggest you do it both ways so you can gather your own data and see how different blanks react. Then come to your own conclusions.

My experience is that the differences are pretty minimal, and some blanks actually don't show a difference. The difference certainly will not be enough to change a decision on what technique the rod is good for. Or even the lure casting weights that work the best.

My usual method is to measure casting rods guides up (like I build them) and spinning and fly guides down.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster