I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

G2 power wrapper by Mud Hole??
Posted by: roger wilson (---)
Date: December 27, 2022 04:59PM

Since the G2 wrappers have arrived at mud hole and this first delivery is completely sold out, are there any users out there of the new wrapper that would like to write a review or comments about the wrapper.
On the surface, it appears to be a top drawer wrapper.
But looks can be deceiving and it would be nice to have some on the build experience with this new wrapper and its design.

Just from looking at pictures and literature, it appears that it is simply a pretty well made units with some quality components and a couple of new ideas.
In particular, I would find it interesting to know of the interaction of the power dial that goes from 0-120, and its interaction with the pedal that is being shipped with the wrapper.
It would seem that inside the wrapper, which appears to be a nicely molded reinforced nylon pedal with a pocket in side to receive the variable speed control that is actuated by a tab on the underside of the top pedal surface of the pedal??

I am curious as to see how the machine looks in a video where one wants to wrap at 2 rpm for intricate wraps.

If I could make a suggestion - the one missing thing in this wrapper is the ability to reverse the wrapper. At this stage of development, it would seem that that is one big item that is missing with this design.

But the overall package appears to be well made and well thought out.

I would just like to hear from a user who has built a few rods with it to have actual user feed back on the product.

Take care

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: G2 power wrapper by Mud Hole??
Posted by: Lance Vasquez (---)
Date: January 06, 2023 09:18AM

In regards to the new CRB wrapper. Got in line and prepaid for this unit. Received it on the 27th of December. First thing I noticed was the short cord to the foot pedal what the @#$& ! Second I also was under the impression the foot pedal would be able to control the speed along with dial nope! I called Mudhole and was told they would send out an extension for the pedal. The foot pedal looks identical to the foredom pedal which is a variable speed pedal. Im not sure if this is the same pedal but there really is no difference between the two. Anyway they had me send the pedal and motor back and was told the same about the foot pedal off/on switch. Tucker and Tyler the two guys I talked to were polite and understood my problem with the setup. Sending it back to mudhole and gonna get the Alps. Hopefully mudhole can address these issues because it could be an awesome wrapper. Im wondering if wiring a variable speed pedal would fix the issue?

Date: January 14, 2023 09:02AM

I am just wondering if there are any other users of the new G2 wrapper that would care to offer a critique on the unit.
It certainly appears that the wrapper bed, rod supports and that part of the wrapper are excellent.
I just wonder about the motor and control assembly. I have not heard much about that part of the wrapper.

Thanks much for any ones thoughts.

Posted by: Chris Macropoulos (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: January 15, 2023 07:38AM

Agree with Lance above. the pedal is junk. really wish it was a variable speed. and the cord is like 4’ long. also the thread carriage is junk. they use cheap steel eyebolts as line guides that fray the thread. i tried different tensions but still have the issue. the stands are nice but take some time to adjust. ultimately, if the pedal was smoother and variable speed i could live with it. Also, theyre digital readout is completely useless in my opinion. my friend has the alps and i like it more, except for their stands. hope that helps

Posted by: Mike W. Anderson (---)
Date: January 16, 2023 06:39PM

I like the way it looks like you can easily change the belt from wrap to dry - an exercise in frustration for me on my Alps wrapper.

Date: January 18, 2023 12:15PM

Chris,
If you are having trouble with the eye bolts that use for line guides, remove them and install standard ceramic rod line guides. Just choose the ones you want to use, Straighten the foot of the guide, Remove the eye bolt, Drill a new hole that is sized correctly for the guide foot and epoxy it into the hole.

However, you can also use a polishing wheel and polishing point on a dremel to polish the eye bolts and will take care of the problem as well.

Of, if you don't like the thread carriage, throw it away and purchase one you like.

If you don't like the foot pedal, throw it away and buy a Foredom pedal and see if that works better for you.

Try this one: [www.amazon.com]

If you do, let us all know how it works with this machine.

With many many very new products, there are bugs in the design. You are finding the bugs in this design - that are not satisfactory to you. If you don't want to work that that defect, cut it out and replace it with the solution to your particular problem.

But, it is quite likely that there are many folks out there that are very happy with the design as received.

Best wishes in your search for perfection. The solution is out there.

Take care

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/18/2023 12:17PM by roger wilson.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster