I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Current Page: 4 of 9
Re: CCS Data Log
Posted by: Kevin Fiant (---.oh.cpe.breezeline.net)
Date: February 11, 2023 11:21PM

Hi all - few more rods have been added to the spreadsheet at [docs.google.com]
I reached out to Tom Kirkman and he Ok'd adding the St Croix rods that were provided in Rodmaker Magazine. The rods included the following:

-SC4-63MLXF
-SC4-66MLF
-SC4-68MLF
-SC4-70MLF
-SC4-70MF
-SC4-70MHF

Also I created a YouTube video to demonstrate how to Sort/Filter blanks directly on the google spreadsheet on your browser without having to export. Here is the link: [youtube.com]

Additionally, I added a README tab on the spreadsheet with basic info and instructions including the link to the YouTube video. Also added a tab that is a blank template spreadsheet. If anyone has a lot of data it could be used to add in data.

Spreadsheet only going to be as good as the data in it. If anyone has any contacts with manufacturers that have any interest in providing any additional data there is an email address on the README page and they could use the blank template to easily add there data and email it to me.

Keep the info coming.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Michael Danek (---.alma.mi.frontiernet.net)
Date: February 12, 2023 07:21AM

Great work, Kevin. That video is a great help. You have provided us with a very powerful tool for blank selection. THANK YOU!

Posted by: Matt Ruggie (---)
Date: February 12, 2023 08:24AM

Thanks!! Kevin and El......great job!

Mods. Can ya make this topic a sticky?

Posted by: Ronald Atchley (96.125.236.---)
Date: February 12, 2023 08:45AM

It can't be said too often . Thank you for all of the work and time that went into developing this great resource . I agree with Matt Ruggie that it should be made a sticky - unless by doing so it would slow or reduce the amount of new data being added . Thank you again.
Ron

Posted by: Logan Summers (---.washdc.fios.verizon.net)
Date: February 12, 2023 09:47AM

Here's a couple I built recently that I didn't see listed yet.

MHX CB841 - IP=300g, AA=70
AT Bushido CB72/12-25 - IP-600g, AA=70

Date: February 12, 2023 10:32AM

@ Logan - I added your two blanks to the spreadsheet list

@ American Tackle - Kevin Landers, @MHX, @Hydra, @NFC, @Batson/Raindshadow I'd love to see more Blanks data and will happily add them to this list.

I'm relatively new into rod building and my current project is replacing out all my factory rods. I've measured CCS data on all my blanks and will first goto this list to find measurements. For example if I have a rod that I use for a particular application but I'd like it to be a bit faster action I'm going to goto this list and look for blanks that fit that criteria. For me personally I'd rather pick blanks that have data so I have higher confidence that it will meet my needs. If the blanks are not on the list I'm less likely to select that blank.

Keep the data coming. Thanks

Posted by: Ed Kramer (---.hrbgpa.fios.verizon.net)
Date: February 12, 2023 01:14PM

El,
Kudos to you! This information is invaluable when it comes to selecting blanks. Hopefully we can continue to add to the database for every blank purchased. The more added, the more we can get an average value for the parameters of the blank. You did a great job putting the spreadsheet together. The sort functions allow you to slice and dice the data anyway needed. Including all the pertinent information from the manufacturer and after a blank is measured by the user also tells us a lot. Keep up the good work.

Posted by: Mark Talmo (---)
Date: February 12, 2023 04:09PM

Kevin,
YOU ARE THE MAN!!!!!!!!!!!! You deserve a great deal of gratitude from anyone who fishes in general and from rod builders in particular. Ever since Dr. Hannerman devised CCS over 20 years ago, very few manufacturers have realized the benefit of including that information on their blanks and / or rods. I sincerely commend those who have!!!
But you have taken it a step (no, make that a LEAP) further with your CCS Database which allows comparison between blanks of ALL shapes and sizes from ANY manufacturer and can be easily whittled-down to one’s specific requirements by sorting using filters. I particularly appreciate that you included IP which is the actual PURE designation of a blank’s power; spin, cast, even fly, fresh or saltwater, whether it be an UL or unlimited Tuna stick.
While there have been a plethora of agonizing debates concerning an industry-wide, universal adoption of CCS, you are the first to step up to the plate and hit a home run with your first swing!!! CONGRATULATIONS and a humble yet sincere THANK YOU!!!

Mark Talmo
FISHING IS NOT AN ESCAPE FROM LIFE BUT RATHER A DEEPER IMMERSION INTO IT!!! BUILDING YOUR OWN SIMPLY ENHANCES THE EXPERIENCE.

Posted by: El Bolinger (50.233.0.---)
Date: February 13, 2023 10:49AM

Awesome, great Job @Kevin - appreciate the effort you put into this.

I've edited the first post to contain the entire list that we have generated so far, so that anybody who searches the site for a specific blank will pull up this thread as a result.

@everybody else - please keep the data coming in.

@Kevin, is there a way to have multiple users with the ability to edit the spreadsheet so that we can share the workload of updating and keep the sheet updated in perpetuity. I feel like having at least 3 people with access would create a safeguard against data not making its way into the form if possible.

The next project will be to replicate in some fashion the sensitivity test that will be conducted at ICRBE soon and post those results for all of the blanks that we now have CCS data on - is Shimano's Poison Adrena really 140% more sensitive?!?! LET'S FIND OUT!!

Building rods in MA, Building the community around the world

Posted by: Michael Danek (---.alma.mi.frontiernet.net)
Date: February 14, 2023 06:49AM

is Shimano's Poison Adrena really 140% more sensitive?!?!

It's 140 % more sensitive than "something." But that "something" is never mentioned. By ANY manufacturer.

Posted by: El Bolinger (---)
Date: February 14, 2023 12:32PM

I mean it's honest marketing, it's definitely at least 140% more sensitive than a stick.

Building rods in MA, Building the community around the world

Date: February 14, 2023 06:14PM

El Bolinger Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------

>
> @Kevin, is there a way to have multiple users with
> the ability to edit the spreadsheet so that we can
> share the workload of updating and keep the sheet
> updated in perpetuity. I feel like having at least
> 3 people with access would create a safeguard
> against data not making its way into the form if
> possible.
>

Editing of spreadsheet can be shared to other users. Only thing to be aware of is that when editing everything you do is saved in realtime. So, if you forgot you were signed in to edit and just wanted to filter down a list of 7' blanks with a specific AA and ERN that would save that view as the default and others would only see the filtered down list. So yes, editing can be delegated but just have to be aware when in edit mode.

Posted by: Darwin Wong (---.sdns.net.rogers.com)
Date: February 15, 2023 09:40PM

Wow!! Just wanted to echo the kudos to everyone helping create this list! I will definitely go through my inventory to see what I can contribute.

Posted by: Kevin Fiant (---.56.130.40.static.ip.windstream.net)
Date: February 24, 2023 09:46PM

Hi all - I added some additional blanks to the spreadsheet. Added in pretty much the entire Batson Rainshadow Eternity RX10 series of blanks that Michael Danek was kind enough to share with me (I believe he got the info from another member on here...?). The info came directly from manufacturer. We now have the entire pointblank series and almost all of the Rainshadow Eternity series so kind of neat to compare those two high modulus blank series. I copied in the data from spreadsheet below. It is sorted from lowest to highest blank power.

[docs.google.com]

Remember if you aren't sure how to use the spreadsheet and do sorting and filtering directly on your browser checkout the how to video that is linked on the README tab of the spreadsheet.

Manufacturer. Series. Model Length IP. AA. ERN
Rainshadow Eternity RX10 ETES68MXF-SS 80 245 71 11.18
Rainshadow Eternity RX10 ETES610MXF-SS 82 272 74 11.88
Rainshadow Eternity RX10 ETES68ML-SS 80 312 76 12.85
Rainshadow Eternity RX10 ETES72ML-SS 86 343 76 13.51
Rainshadow Eternity RX10 ETES72M-SS 86 466 75 16.9
Rainshadow Eternity RX10 ETEC68M-SS 80 519 75 18.34
Rainshadow Eternity RX10 ETEC76M-SS 90 589 76 20
Rainshadow Eternity RX10 ETEC72M-SS 86 597 75 20
Rainshadow Eternity RX10 ETEC68MH-SS 80 662 70 22
Rainshadow Eternity RX10 ETEC72MH-SS 86 681 72 22.69
Rainshadow Eternity RX10 ETEC76MH-SS 90 753 70 24.76
Rainshadow Eternity RX10 ETEC74H-SS 88 912 70 27.7

Posted by: David Baylor (---.res6.spectrum.com)
Date: February 25, 2023 10:38AM

Kevin I have to join the ranks of those thanking you for keeping this thread updated so meticulously, and for the huge amount of work you have put into the spread sheet and your generosity in sharing it with the members of this site.

You dang sure deserve all the thanks and gratitude being expressed.

OUTSTANDING !!!!

Posted by: Bob Foster (207.189.245.---)
Date: February 25, 2023 10:58AM

I will echo others in gratitude expressed for all the work going into this. Data management can be a bear. Cheers to this effort and all who collectively drive it

Posted by: Spencer Phipps (---)
Date: February 25, 2023 02:31PM

The Sage Fly Rod info here has no description of what blank you are looking at, you'll have to go to the Common Cents Data site for that.

Posted by: Kevin Fiant (---.56.130.40.static.ip.windstream.net)
Date: February 25, 2023 05:51PM

Spencer Phipps Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> The Sage Fly Rod info here has no description of
> what blank you are looking at, you'll have to go
> to the Common Cents Data site for that.

Are you talking about the weight rating? That info is in the spreadsheet but it is in the far right column. I'm not a Fly Rod guy so wasn't sure where best to put that info... But I do believe that it is in the spreadsheet. Any rods that had wt ratings I included in spreadsheet.

I assume that WT rating on the CCS database linked in the left column of forum s the manufacturer wt rating..? Is that correct? Anyhow, if something needs tweaked I'll try and accomodate as best I can. Easy to move column around if having that further left would help out.

Posted by: Spencer Phipps (---)
Date: February 25, 2023 06:17PM

Kevin, Not talking about your info, was talking about the 1st page, 1st post, it appears all the blank have model info but the Sage blanks. The info is there if you don't want to know what wt. blank/rod was tested.

Posted by: Brian Jackson (107.115.203.---)
Date: March 02, 2023 01:18PM

Big thank you to everyone who has contributed to this. It is incredibly helpful!

Current Page: 4 of 9

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster