I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Anyone build fixed-line rods (tenkara, keiryu, etc)?
Posted by: Eric Garza (---.burlingtontelecom.net)
Date: December 24, 2022 04:23PM

A couple years ago I bought my first fixed-line rod. It was marketed as a tenkara rod, was made of graphite, and telescoped out to 12 feet in length. The last section of the tip is usually solid graphite, rather than tubular, so fixed-line rods are able to protect delicate tippets better than normal fishing rods. These rods do not have reel seats to accept reels, nor do they have guides. They have handles of various styles, and you attach your line to a lillian at the rod's tip using a loop not of various sorts.

I plan on buying a few new rods this coming year, and plan to strip at least one of them down to put on a different style of handle and to repaint the blank. I do not have any questions really, aside from curiosity: anyone else on here regularly work on fixed-line rods?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Anyone build fixed-line rods (tenkara, keiryu, etc)?
Posted by: Mike Ballard (---.nux.net)
Date: December 25, 2022 08:00AM

Bream Busters from the old Lew's line about be about it. Same concept. Mostly what guys wanted was an actual handle with a larger grip on rods that got out to as much as 18 feet.

Posted by: Michael Ward (---)
Date: December 25, 2022 05:12PM

Didn’t we use to call these “cane poles” back in the day? ????

Posted by: Mike Ballard (---.ip-167-114-11.net)
Date: December 26, 2022 09:12AM

Pretty much yes. The guy that captured the market with his Tenkara rods must have made a mint. When they first came out I did not think anyone would buy them at such a high price but they took off like gangbusters.

Posted by: Phil Erickson (---)
Date: December 26, 2022 12:59PM

I fish Tenkara infrequently, where conditions are right. Great for meadow streams or open creeks and rivers Not fun in very brushy areas!

Be careful painting the rod, as it could effect the telescoping ability!

Date: December 28, 2022 10:16AM

Definitely not putting on a thick coat of paint. My plan is to buy a rod that is more brightly colored than I would prefer (Wasatch Tenkara's Sharpshooter, which is factory painted bright blue), sand and/or scrape off the paint to reveal the bare carbon, and wipe on a thin coat of Permagloss. This shouldn't impact the telescoping ability of the rod.

Date: December 28, 2022 10:17AM

There are close to a dozen companies that sell Tenkara rods here in the US. Most big manufacturers make them, they just don't market them in the US yet.

Posted by: Les Cline (---)
Date: December 28, 2022 10:41AM

I own a half dozen tenkara rods of various powers - and they are made of high tech graphite that is very light and strong. They are beautifully made, a joy to fish, and superior to traditional fly rods in some situations and presentations.
A centuries old technique. Not just for small fish, either.

The word cane pole is as fitting a descriptor as calling braided or fluorocarbon line "fishing string", IMO.

I wondered if these rods would ever be offered as a kit to build.

Date: December 28, 2022 01:30PM

I know that US suppliers have offered fixed-line blanks in the past, though as far as I know none are currently offered. I have been nudging Ruben at Wasatch Tenkara to start selling blanks. I don't think he thought I was serious. If I strip down a couple of his finished rods and show off custom versions, he might start stocking raw blanks in addition to his finished rods.

I love fixed-line rods for panfish and trout, and Wasatch offers stouter models for larger fish too. Folks are landing sizable steelhead on his T-Hunter, and 30+ pound carp, northern pike and musky on Rodzilla.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster