I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Pages: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2
Re: Rodbuilding.org Android App to go live in 24hrs!
Posted by: Chris Catignani (---)
Date: December 31, 2022 07:27PM

Aleks Maslov Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Ed, the forum runs on 20+ year old technology that
> is obsolete

I may be mistaken....but I think the message board is a tweaked version of Phorum.
Which is open source and still in use today.
[www.phorum.org]

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Aleks Maslov (Moderator)
Date: December 31, 2022 10:04PM

Yes, it is Phorum based.

The issue is that Phorum works with a version of Php that is 5.x, which is considered "legacy" by PhP (they are on version 8.2).

There are major issues (security/errors, etc) with phorum and the PhP versions that are supported currently that are un-resolved, and are not being worked on.

PhP 5x is not supported by most hosting providers, and has reached end of support ages ago...

What this means is that there is A LOT of development work that will need to happen to preserve everything within rodbuilding.org and to move it into the next century of the web that will allow browsers to point to it, and it will be done...but in stages.

Chris Catignani Wrote:
> Aleks Maslov Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > Ed, the forum runs on 20+ year old technology
> that
> > is obsolete
>
> I may be mistaken....but I think the message board
> is a tweaked version of Phorum.
> Which is open source and still in use today.
> [www.phorum.org]

Posted by: Chris Catignani (---)
Date: December 31, 2022 11:13PM

Oh man....yikes.. Good luck to you and your team on this.

Posted by: Mike Ballard (---.ip-167-114-11.net)
Date: January 01, 2023 10:17AM

Maybe throw this forum out and make it a searchable database and start over with a true App type forum. Sometimes it is easier to start from scratch.

Posted by: Aleks Maslov (Moderator)
Date: January 01, 2023 01:40PM

One of the most valuable things about this forum is that for 20 or so years has led to an accumulation of rod building knowledge since when the internet was in its infancy. Its search-able, and has contributions and asnwers to most common questions from folks that are no longer with us. The forum and the database and all the knowledge contained in it must and will survive. We may re-write everything but keep the look and function exactly the same with expanded options, but I don't think that starting from scratch is an option :D

Mike Ballard Wrote:
> Maybe throw this forum out and make it a
> searchable database and start over with a true App
> type forum. Sometimes it is easier to start from
> scratch.

Posted by: El Bolinger (---.bstnma.fios.verizon.net)
Date: January 07, 2023 12:31AM

I posted in 2 threads from the app and it never bumped them to the top. I thought they just never actually posted or that there was some lag between the website and the app, but apparently it just doesn't move new posts to the top as it should.

Pages: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster