I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Pages: 123Next
Current Page: 1 of 3
Flippin' & Pitchin' Reels - And Rods
Posted by: Kent Griffith (---)
Date: December 23, 2022 02:37PM

Flippin' & pitchin' is a big deal down here in Florida. One of the most common techniques used for bass fishing in cover.

So I wanted to start a thread about the flippin' & pitchin' reels, and ask each of you what your requirements are for them for this technique, and how you match it to a rod and use it?

I hope we can get into the function and operation of the reels because there are so many varieties that function completely different, and I hope to explore this some.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 12/26/2022 08:20AM by Kent Griffith.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Flippin' & Pitchin' Reels - And Rods
Posted by: Lynn Behler (---.44.66.72.res-cmts.leh.ptd.net)
Date: December 23, 2022 07:01PM

What's the right one for you?

Posted by: El Bolinger (---.bstnma.fios.verizon.net)
Date: December 23, 2022 11:48PM

I'm glad you brought this up, I haven't really flipped and pitched much in the traditional sense- but I often toss lures into heavy cover and dense lilies or hydrilla. I just ordered the MB7109 for some heavy cover heavy lure fishing and I'm considering either the FLIP764 or FLIP765 for 3/8-1/2 oz+plastics for swim jigs/worms/jigs in light to moderate cover.

I started a little more flippin and pitchin this past season almost by accident, I got a Kistler Series 1 reel that had busted breaks or something, they wouldn't stay pinned so the breaks were always off. Some dudes can do that, I didn't think I was quite there yet. Turns out it is fine enough for me to handle with minimal breaks and just thumbing as long as the weight is 3/8+plastic or above. But I started exploring different casting techniques because of this, and I can't even understand how far I can flick my wrist and get that thing going. I also started fishing from a couple of banks with challenging casting opportunities, so pitching and flipping really became my mainstay this past season. My season was a bit wonky with a 3 year old and a baby that came a but earlier than we expected, she's doing good and I'm grateful for that but I can't say I spent whole days flipping or pitching- just squeezin in a couple hours or less here and there when I could.

The two rods I used were Kistler Helium 7ft heavy medium heavy (704.5) extra fast and St. Croix Victory MhMf. The croix was pitching swimjigs and Kistler jigs and t rigs. On top of falling in love with that casting style I fell in love with swim jigs and moderate fast blanks. I caught more solid bass on that in a month than the rest of the season before. The Croix was a little either under powered or a bit too soft, so I'm hoping the FLIP76x will help with that but still give me that moderate fast feel.

Can anybody comment on those HM FLIP blanks?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/23/2022 11:49PM by El Bolinger.

Posted by: David Baylor (---.res6.spectrum.com)
Date: December 24, 2022 07:17AM

Flipping and pitching are my two favorite techniques for fishing for largemouth bass. Without a doubt, at least IMO, the greatest reel ever built for flipping and pitching, were the Shimano Castaic reels. The Castaics have a two way thumb bar that allows the spool to be engaged without having to turn the reel handle. And while that feature isn't important in flipping if your reel of choice has a flipping switch, it is invaluable when pitching.

The downside of the Castaic reels when compared to the reels of today, is that they are higher profile reels. Especially the first generation of the reel. It's as tall as older round profile reels like the Abu Garcia Ambassador or the first versions of the Shimano Calcutta. I have fairly large hands for my height, and palming the reel for an entire day definitely gets your hand to feeling it. They were also wider than today's reels. Another problem with the first generation of the Castaic is that the thumb bar crossed the spool in two places, which left a small window to thumb the spool, and pick out any backlashes that may occur. And while those factors made it ergonomically troubling, the dual action thumb bar made up for those deficiencies.

Those earlier deficiencies were more or less completely remedied in the second generation of the reel, Plus Shimano added it's free spool feature to the reel. The second generation of the Castaic took on the same profile as the much loved Curado 200 B and D models, Huge reels by today's standards, but a much lower profile than the first generation Castaic. The second thumb bar had been removed and a swell on the side of the thumb bar mechanism was used for re engaging the spool. Shimano also thinned the thumb mechanism a bit which allowed much easier access to thumbing the spool, and picking out back lashes. The second generation being a much lower profile took away any discomfort that the first generation had, when it comes to palming the reel for the entire day. And while both generations would be considered to be heavy compared to some of today's reels. I don't find them to be all that heavy.

I honestly don't understand why Shimano discontinued making the reel. I have currently have 4 of the reels left, and they are as bullet proof as the old Curado B and D series reels were. If I could somehow talk Shimano into building my dream reel for flipping and pitching, it would be a reintroduction of the Castaic using the Curado 200 K frame, with an MGL spool.

As far as the rods I use, I use three rods. Two that are built on NFC MB 709 IM blanks, and one that is built on a Rainshadow Immortal IMMC72MH blank. The rods built on the NFC blanks don't have the fish moving power on the hook set like the rod built on the Immortal blank does, but I have more confidence when I have a big fish at the boat. I don't feel like I have to rush it. And that is due to the mod fast action of the blank. The rod built on the Immortal is a flat out fish mover on the hook set. If I am fishing holes in thick weeds, or way back in heavy wood cover, it is the rod I use. I figure I have to get them out of the cover before I can start worrying about getting them in the boat, and the rod built on the Immortal is better at getting the fish out of cover. It is a fast action blank.

As far as reel set up goes, and this goes for any reel I am pitching a bait with, I don't ever turn off all of the reel's braking system. To estimate, I probably use about 1/3 of the reel's braking power, and use the cast control knob for any additional adjustments I may need to accommodate the various weights and baits that I use. If I need to make a 35 - 40' pitch, I need to generate rod tip speed to keep the bait lower to the water, and having the reel set up tighter helps me with line control. I would guess that the lightest weight/ bait combinations I pitch or flip with are 5/16 - 3/8 oz in total weight. Anything any lighter than that normally won't get the bait down and into the cover where it needs to be on most days. Or at least on most days around here.

Date: December 24, 2022 12:28PM

David Baylor Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------

> If I could somehow talk Shimano into building my
> dream reel for flipping and pitching, it would be
> a reintroduction of the Castaic using the Curado
> 200 K frame, with an MGL spool.

What if I told you such a reel might already exist and has been around for nearly 20 years?

***Original comment removed due to complaints.

Edited 14 time(s). Last edit at 12/25/2022 11:48AM by Kent Griffith.

Posted by: Alex Weissman (---)
Date: December 24, 2022 12:46PM

I use a 6.3:1 round reel that was given to me that I can lock down the drag on 65 lb line. It's used with a 7.5' heavy action extending rod that was given to me also. My bait is a tube with a 1 1/8 oz tungsten weight. I recently was thinking about building a better rod and probably will. I usually fish all winter in central FL but I have a health problem and won't make it this year.

Date: December 24, 2022 01:29PM

I am sorry to hear about your health issues. I hope you recover and get back to fishing. Its interesting you say you fish here in winter.

David hit upon something with his one handed reel comment above. Dead on with it too. However... there are other reels that do the same or similar... on to the reels for this job.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 12/25/2022 11:49AM by Kent Griffith.

Posted by: Chris Catignani (---)
Date: December 24, 2022 03:26PM

I flip and pitch with a couple of older Shimano Citica's with upgrades: ceramic bearing, carbon drag washers and 106mm carbon handles.
The rods arent anything really special...
I pitch with a Loomis GL2 blem thats 6' 10" and I flip with a 7'6" Rainshadow both are Medium Heavey(ish).
The triggers are also grounded off on each rod.

Posted by: Spencer Phipps (---)
Date: December 24, 2022 04:03PM

Have the rules been changed? Posts like those above from Kent take up a lot of room and aren't particularly enlightening on a rod building forum. Bass fishing forums are Facebook are a better place.

Date: December 24, 2022 04:39PM

Chris Catignani Wrote:
> I flip and pitch with a couple of older Shimano
> Citica's with upgrades: ceramic bearing, carbon
> drag washers and 106mm carbon handles.

Drag washers are coming up in this thread already. I've read locked down drags and upgrades...

Chris, what if I told you from an old bench tech that carbon fiber drag washers are not an upgrade for this job? That they are in fact going in the other direction brake-wise?

Edited 4 time(s). Last edit at 12/26/2022 08:22AM by Kent Griffith.

Date: December 24, 2022 04:45PM

Spencer Phipps Wrote:
> Have the rules been changed? Posts like those
> above from Kent take up a lot of room and aren't
> particularly enlightening on a rod building forum.
> Bass fishing forums are Facebook are a better
> place.

What rule did I break?

If I posted anything out of line please delete.

I am trying to contribute to a subject more in depth than I find online. I thought some background and defining of why things are different in Florida that requires different approach would be of use to some fishermen coming here. I was trying to post good useful information that as I said rolls right into how I choose to put a rod and reel combo together and why.

For me environment dictates rod and reel. Kind of hard to describe the tackle only if I can't get into the reasons why or what its for.

I'll await clarification from admin on this one.

ADDED: Unaccountable thread derailment. Sabotage. Last time. Shortly a personal attack will happen on top of page 2 to further derail thread's intent and purpose to add information to a repository. Now utterly ruined and done on purpose to.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/26/2022 04:35AM by Kent Griffith.

Posted by: Norman Miller (Moderator)
Date: December 24, 2022 05:44PM

I don’t think any forum rules have been broken. Discussions on reels have occurred on numerous occasions on this forum, and knowledge of reels can be a valuable asset for rod builders.
Kent, although your posts are very informative they are also extremely long and detailed, making them very difficult to read and follow. Your posts would be better received if they were shorter and less detailed. If people want more information they can contact you.

Posted by: Spencer Phipps (---)
Date: December 24, 2022 06:22PM

Pictures on this site have always gone to the photo section. Articles have never been here at all, links. yes.

Date: December 24, 2022 07:10PM

Curious how you balance your flipping and pitching rods and reels out? Once you have the reel dialed in and a fixed weight to work with, how do you approach its placement on the rod and balance it all out?

Hopefully this is short enough...

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 12/26/2022 04:36AM by Kent Griffith.

Date: December 24, 2022 07:32PM

Photos in the posts are a new addition to the forum and the development of the RB app was done to make it easier. Some people like them some don’t. I agree links to online articles and pictures should be used vs copying and pastings since it does cut down on the amount of space used. However, as far as I know there are no specific rules against doing so. I do prefer shorter and more concise posts. If anyone is not interested in the subject matter of a thread they are free to ignore it. A lot of very diverse discussions have occurred here on rod board, and almost all of them have been friendly, respectful and informative. This is certainly a major reason why the rod board forum so popular, even with us old timer know it alls.
Norm

Date: December 24, 2022 08:00PM

Top reel from forum recommendation:

"Without a doubt, at least IMO, the greatest reel ever built for flipping and pitching, were the Shimano Castaic reels. The Castaics have a two way thumb bar that allows the spool to be engaged without having to turn the reel handle."

Nothing to argue. Case closed.

Edited 20 time(s). Last edit at 12/26/2022 04:38AM by Kent Griffith.

Date: December 24, 2022 09:20PM

Norman Miller Wrote:

> I agree links to online articles and
> pictures should be used vs copying and pastings
> since it does cut down on the amount of space
> used.

Norm, I have to disagree on this one because if this forum is to be a body of knowledge and a repository of information, then links won't provide that.

I wanted to link to an old 1985 article above. The link is no longer active and the article has been removed completely. I can't even find a cached version of it. So, fortunately I saved the text of the article long ago before it was taken down and was able to share the original link in this thread that goes to the front page now and not the article, and I was able to include the text of it so the information remains in this repository.

If we go to using links only and do not bring the text in here and post it, then one day as link after link goes dead, this forum will not have the info, and will only have dead links to show for it.

I truly believe posting the info here is the best way to save it. We can't trust the web and other websites to keep those links active forever.

Date: December 24, 2022 10:36PM

I stated my preference for links to be posted to save space. I also stated there were no rules barring cutting and pasting.

Norm

Posted by: Peter Yawn (---.mpls.qwest.net)
Date: December 24, 2022 10:49PM

I'm gonna go Ryobi on your special flipping reel.

Posted by: Chris Catignani (---)
Date: December 24, 2022 11:11PM

Norman Miller Wrote:
> Your posts would be better received if they were
> shorter and less detailed. If people want more
> information they can contact you.

Norm..,Please tell me you kidding me?

Pages: 123Next
Current Page: 1 of 3

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster