I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Micro cutter for extra fine and or close cutting:
Posted by: roger wilson (---)
Date: December 21, 2022 06:54AM

In a recent post, there was mention of using dental ligature bands to hold micro guides toa rod blank prior to wrapping the guide.

This method works very well, but it does present an issue when it comes to removing the ligature, prior to completing the wrap without marking the rod blank, guide or nicking a thread.

However, this micro side cutter excels at this job. The very fine sharp end of this side cutter allows one to easily cut the bank without touching anything else. i.e. no damage:

[www.amazon.com]

There are a lot of other uses for such a cutter as well.

CAUTION,
DO not try to cut steel wire, or other very hard materials because the very fine and sharp tips of the cutter will be destroyed.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Micro cutter for extra fine and or close cutting:
Posted by: Michael Danek (---.adr01.alma.mi.frontiernet.net)
Date: December 21, 2022 08:31AM

Neat cutter with, as you say, lots of uses.

The dental ligatures are easily cut with an Exacto knife with just a light touch. I've never nicked a thread.

Posted by: Rick Handrick (---.res.spectrum.com)
Date: December 21, 2022 08:55AM

Great find Roger! Adding to my cart now lol. I typically use a single sided razor blade and don’t have issues, but this tool looks faster and easier!

Posted by: Tim Scott (---)
Date: December 21, 2022 12:16PM

Knipex also makes a similar cutter that is very nice. This is also why I like the silicone tubing cut into slices. It cuts off with just a touch vs some of the microbands

Posted by: Tom Wewerka (---)
Date: December 21, 2022 08:27PM

That is a very nice tool Roger and thanks for sharing. One note to those of us that use a razor blade is that I use a brand new blade on every rod. Cuts those ligatures like butter and don't even have to cut all the way through most of the time.

Posted by: roger wilson (---)
Date: December 24, 2022 08:07AM

The micro cutter is another example of a good tool for the job.

Not long after I started building rods, I was at the rod shop where I took lessons and noticed that one of the pros was using a pair of fine tipped Dr. Slick's fly tying scissors for cutting thread wrap tag ends flush with the wraps with never a worry about nicking a thread wrap from a razor blade. I purchase a scissor that day, and hear it is many many years later and I am still using the same pair of scissors to trim thread wraps. I will sharpen the scissors about every couple of years or if I even notice an issue with getting a clean cut on a tag end cut.

For example:
[www.drslick.com]

I use the 4 inch general purpose scissor that has served me well these past many years.
[www.drslick.com]

Posted by: John DeMartini (---.inf6.spectrum.com)
Date: December 24, 2022 11:31AM

Just a heads up.

Amazon has the IGAN-330 on sale

I just ordered the 2-pack for $13.76

Happy Holidays

Posted by: Norman Miller (Moderator)
Date: December 24, 2022 12:20PM

This is the type of scissors I use for cutting thread. Very sharp and easy to use with either hand.
[mudhole.com]
Norm

Posted by: Glenn Tucker (---)
Date: December 25, 2022 03:09PM

I have been using these cutters for years and they are great. If you need to cut zip ties these can cut so flush that it leaves no sharp edge to catch on things or scratch you. The work great at clipping spru off jigs heads or other molded lead items. As the OP said, don't cut steel wire with them but, they work great at cutting fine copper and brass wire (jewelry makers use them for that and). Once you have them you will find a million uses.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster