I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Tips/Tricks for final alignment of guides before finish
Posted by: Kevin Fiant (---.oh.cpe.breezeline.net)
Date: December 20, 2022 05:28PM

I am working on my 1st build and have most of my guides wrapped and aligned as best I can. I'm building a casting rod and using #4 running guides so difficult to sight down rod with my 50 year old eyes. I was thinking about just throwing a reel with line onto rod/guides and using that for final adjustments before placing finish. Any other tips/tricks from builders to get guide alignment as straight as possible before applying finish?

Thanks.

Re: Tips/Tricks for final alignment of guides before finish
Posted by: roger wilson (---)
Date: December 20, 2022 06:03PM

Kevin,
You are right. Aligning #4 guides takes a bit.

The idea of put ting some bright florescent solar green line on a reel is a good on

Then, use very bright light, a white wall or ceiling to aid in sighting down the rod.

The very bright solar line can really aid in your final rotary alignment. It won's necessarily help with the back and forth alignment, but it actually does, since it is so much easier to see a bright heavy solar line as you view the overall guide setup for smooth flow and a nice perfect distribution of the line with respect to the loaded rod. i.e. you thread the line through the guides, and then turn the rod upside down so that the line that you secure near the floor. With the line secure, and the rod upside down, flex the rod to a near 90 degree point. Then, hold the rod in this position as you look over the loaded rod and check to verify that you have equal line away from the rod blank. If not, cut the guide off and rewrap it in a different position. Continue checking and cutting off guides until you are left with guides that are in the correct position and correctly aligned. Then, reposition the guides in question tape them in place and wrap them.

Then, repeat the loaded stress test with the line threaded through the guides.

Take care

Posted by: Jim Berry (---)
Date: December 22, 2022 05:18PM

A paper plate or white printer paper on the wall is good start eye them looking at the plate in good light what i have done is look at the guides with the back side of the rod up guides on the underside twist the back side of the blank and get the guides to be cut in half from the blank and have the blank block them at the rings be at six oclock and twelve oclock and sight them in it works for me at 64.8 almost 65 but in order for me to learn i will and must share to all i am not the pro but just ideas and it is a good hobby to do

Posted by: John DeMartini (---.res.spectrum.com)
Date: December 22, 2022 06:50PM

After I align the guides by eye (82 year old eyes), I go outside and eyeball it and I go inside and eyeball it then I ask someone to check my work, usually my wife, kids, neighbor or anyone who may be near by.

I make any adjustments necessary and go on my way. The rod always ends up with guides aligned.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster