I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Pages: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
Holding small guides before wrapping?
Posted by: Chris Zarza (---)
Date: December 20, 2022 03:01PM

What’s your technique?

I’m currently slicing tape about a 1/4 wide and fiddling around trying to get these #5s on.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Holding small guides before wrapping?
Posted by: VooDoo Rods (---.stat.lusfiber.net)
Date: December 20, 2022 03:27PM

[youtube.com]

This is how I do it - hope this helps

Posted by: John DeMartini (---.inf6.spectrum.com)
Date: December 20, 2022 04:50PM

Try Walmart or hobby lobby for wooden doll house miniature spring loaded clothes pins.

Posted by: Scott Appley (---.ccgov.net)
Date: December 20, 2022 05:00PM

Old school. Rubber band through a bead.

Posted by: Kevin Fiant (---.oh.cpe.breezeline.net)
Date: December 20, 2022 05:09PM

@ Chris - I feel your pain. I'm working on my 1st build. All my running guides are 4's so very small for my clumsy fingers. I started trying tape and that didn't work. Next, I was able to round up the small rubber-bands my kids had used for their braces and those work pretty well. Just have to double or triple them up out near the tip where blank diameter is small. I was also looking at a couple things on Mudhole that would also work. I'm going to try and paste links but not sure if they will work...

Search for "Guide Tubing" [mudhole.com]

Search for "Micro Guide Bands" [mudhole.com]

I would say both of those would also work. I think some guys use a little bit of guide foot adhesive (different than tip-top adhesive) as well. Hope this helps.

Posted by: roger wilson (---)
Date: December 20, 2022 06:09PM

Easy.
But these:

[www.amazon.com]

The dental ligatures and the gun used to apply them.

Also procure a pair of very sharp nosed scissors or a very small sharp cutting pliers to remove the bands once the wrap has been started.

Best wishes

p.s.
In particular with very small diameter rods - especially near the tip where the tip size is very small - these excell.

--------------------------------------------------
For the folks who use tape, consider purchasing some 1/4 inch, 1/8th inch and 1/16th inch wide striping tape used by auto detailing folks.

[www.amazon.com]

Posted by: Kent Griffith (---)
Date: December 20, 2022 06:10PM

I use that blue painters tape. I cut it into very thin strips. Cheap. And it works and one roll lasts a long time.

I use super small micro guides with the shortest foot I can buy, usually less about a 1/4" long, so whatever I use has to be thin enough to hold guide on rod while I start the thread wrap. So the thin strips I cut are less than 1/8" wide and about 2 inches in length give or take depending on diameter of blank.

And since I'm so cheap, I'll reuse them until the sticky comes off or no longer holds.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/20/2022 06:11PM by Kent Griffith.

Posted by: David Sytsma (---.res.spectrum.com)
Date: December 20, 2022 06:45PM

On very small diameter blanks like ice rod pan fish noodle blanks I've had very good success with the micro guide bands that Mudhole sells. They're not brutally expensive. When the taper gets really small, like 2mm or less, sometimes I'll use two to keep the guide from shifting around. Anything greater than 2mm I'm using dental ligatures and may have to double or triple wind them to decrease their size so they hold the guide. I've got 1/4" tape, but rarely use it except maybe for the stripper. Don't like the residue it leaves sometimes and I'm clumsy enough that small guide feet and small strips of sticky tape aren't a good combination. To remove the bands once I have the wrap well started, I use a dental pick with an end that has a small ~90 degree bend, carefully slip it under the bands, pull them up a little off the blank and cut them with an Exacto knife. That's just my system.

Posted by: Herb Ladenheim (181.214.150.---)
Date: December 20, 2022 07:13PM

Elastic beading thread from Michels or JoAnns.
Comes on a spool - get it in 0.5 mm.
Wrap it on under tension - 2 overhand knots - finished.
Herb

Posted by: Phil Erickson (---)
Date: December 20, 2022 07:43PM

Flex Coat guide adhesive.

Posted by: Norman Miller (Moderator)
Date: December 20, 2022 07:47PM

Could also try guide foot adhesive.
[flexcoat.com]
Norm

Posted by: Lynn Behler (---.44.66.72.res-cmts.leh.ptd.net)
Date: December 20, 2022 08:06PM

I use bands as per Roger often using 2 for runners. After my 2 line stress test and much stressing over perfect alignment I will go along the blank and place a TINY! drop of super glue on each side of the guide foot. This is tedious and I know ! I'm not supposed to do this, however super glue breaks down after 30 min. when kept wet, and I'm not concerned about removing them for future repair/replacement should it become necessary. Once wrapped with Forhan lock wraps you can't reposition guides and keep the foot parallel to the blank. At least I can't.

Posted by: Tom Harrigan (---)
Date: December 20, 2022 08:15PM

I guess I’ll mention guide foot adhesive- I tried it again after watching a Flex Coat video- seems to work pretty well.

I took care to make sure the guide feet laid flat on the blank, then after pressing the foot down slid my finger off the guide straight down the blank, rather than lifting my finger off.

I don’t have the experience with super tiny guides, however.

Posted by: Dean Veltman (---.reverse-dns)
Date: December 20, 2022 08:22PM

I use a roll of pinstriping tape from an auto paint store.

Posted by: David Sytsma (---.res.spectrum.com)
Date: December 20, 2022 10:56PM

I think I'll look into Herb's idea. I've got some of that elastic thread that you use to tie spawn bags that doesn't require knotting; that might work as well.

Posted by: Scott Kelly (---)
Date: December 20, 2022 11:23PM

The easiest thing I’ve found that works for me is tying a clinch knot with 6# mono and securing the guide. Make a loop around my finger, spin it around 5-6 times, run the tag thru the loop and into the second loop. Tighten the knot up and slip the loop over the rod blank and tighten it down on the guide.

Posted by: Al Jones (---.biz.spectrum.com)
Date: December 21, 2022 09:54AM

Herb's idea or Orthodontic elastics have been great for me. On small blanks just loop it 3-4 times to achieve the right tension before sliding it down the blank. You can make small adjustments to the guide but holds well enough to wrap. I have some of the ligatures Roger mentioned and they are great for small blanks like he mentioned.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/21/2022 10:00AM by Al Jones.

Posted by: Dennis Danku (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: December 21, 2022 10:14AM

A soft piece of copper wire or a twist tie wrapped around the guide foot to help you get started, then use for the next guide.

Dennis J. Danku
(Sayreville,NJ)

Posted by: Wade Hirai (---)
Date: December 21, 2022 03:17PM

I use those twist ties that come with the bread storage bags. Works for me.

Posted by: Jim Berry (---)
Date: December 22, 2022 05:08PM

Cut a rubber band wrap it twice around and hold it with a granny knot thread comes near it snip it off and finish and do the wrap around the guide and tuck it in

Pages: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster