I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Mixing and Matching Parts
Posted by: Tony Vieson (216.73.160.---)
Date: December 18, 2022 10:35PM

I'm sure the general consensus would be not to do this, but I feel like in order to achieve what I am after. I'm left with no alternative. With that being said, do the main manufactures follow a set standard. For example, does the thread pattern for Fuji, American Tackle, PacBay, Sea Guide, and Batson match. Could I use a Batson or American Tackle reel seat, but a Thread Hood from say Sea Guide or Fuji?

Could I use a Fuji or CRB Carbon Fiber Insert on an American Tackle and Batson reel seat?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Mixing and Matching Parts
Posted by: VooDoo Rods (---.stat.lusfiber.net)
Date: December 19, 2022 08:27AM

The answer to most of your questions is "yes/sometimes/possibly". While most size 16 hoods will fit on most size 16 reel seats, there are exceptions (like Batson/Alps Double key versions which will only fit those seats that have the double key slots for example). Where things get a bit complicated is hood trim for "hidden thread" hoods. Fuji fits Fuji, but also Matagi fits Fuji. AmTak fits Amtak, but in some cases you can get Fuji/Matagi to fit with easy modifications. Complete hoods by Batson/Alps will fit most other seats (the single key versions) but the double key versions (TX & MVT) will only fit those respective seats. Clear as mud right? On inserts, you can mix & match as who made it doesn't matter much, only the insert OD (but most insert options for a particular seat will be from that seat manufacturer). It takes a while to learn all the options (there are many) but reach out to me or your supplier of choice with questions before you purchase and I/they should be able to put together the look you are trying to achieve.

Posted by: roger wilson (---)
Date: December 19, 2022 10:01AM

Tony,
You are the genius who is creating the next best rod.

You can build what ever you like. It is you, yourself and your mind and skills creating this rod.

Use what ever components you wish. Mix, match, change as you please.

It is your build , do what works for you.

Lots of different parts manufacturers interchange. An equally large number of parts do not interchange.

When you wish to do something custom - and different - it is up to you as the creator to put things together so that the final product works well and does the job for which it was intended.

At the end of the day, a fishing rod is a tool to catch fish.

A fishing rod needs a rod blank, a grip to hold the rod, a reel seat to hold a reel and at least two or three guides to direct the line down the rod blank.

If you wish to add more, then that is up to you.

A black rod, with black grips, black guides and black thread catches lots and lots of fish. If you want to do something else - by all means go for it. But, the minimalist rod will catch just as many or more fish than a rod that has had a thousand of hours of build time on it.

Enjoy this avocation in the best way possible. Create the next best fishing rod. But what ever you do, make, create and enjoy the fruits of your labor.

Take care

Posted by: Norman Miller (Moderator)
Date: December 20, 2022 11:20AM

Tony, as mentioned above by VooDoo Rods, there are some nuances concerning mixing and matching reel seat parts. In some cases, there are no problems, in other cases there are. As mentioned above double keyed hoods only fit double keyed seats. In addition, there are some cases where the hood from one manufacturer will fit the seat from another manufacturer but not vice versa. I have found that Fuji hoods will fit AmTac seats quite well but AmTac hoods don’t fit Fuji seat very well. This is due to the key and slot sizes , AMTac seats have a slightly wider key and slot than the Fuji seats and hood. So the Fuji hood key will fit into the slightly wider AMTac seat slot, but the wider AmTac hood key doesn’t fit well in the narrower Fuji seat slot. Just a few things to consider. I’ve used AmTac cf hood sleeves on Fuji KSSKS hoods, and it works well.
Norm

Posted by: John DeMartini (---.inf6.spectrum.com)
Date: December 20, 2022 12:20PM

Tony

Yes, you can mix and match just about anything as long as the parts can be modified and or adapters can be fabricated to mate with the various components.

HENCE the word CUSTOM.

BUT, keep in mind not to exceed the limits of the mechanical properties of an individual component. Too thin a wall here the wrong material there, sloppy fits, etc.

A word of CAUTION, At times I get excited and anxious and cut before I think and wind up ruining a part, so if you are like me make sure you have spares on hand to avoid delays or to redo an alteration to make it better..

This is what its all about.

GO for it!

Have fun

John

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster