I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Double handed surf fly blank
Posted by: Alfredo Sepulveda (---.hsd1.nj.comcast.net)
Date: December 18, 2022 07:10PM

Good evening new to the forum, looking for recommendations for a 12 foot blank fast action, I would love to build a double handed overhead casting surf fly rod. Looking for an 8-9 weight blank.
Thank you in advance for any help.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Double handed surf fly blank
Posted by: Herb Ladenheim (185.203.218.---)
Date: December 18, 2022 09:06PM

Hi Alfredo,

I started experimenting with CTS blanks to develop the perfect 2 handed fly rod for surf fishing the outer Cape Cod beaches.
I started at 11'0". At the same time - unbeknownst to me - Mike O, a U.k. fly guy was doing the same thing. But he started at 14'0".
10 years ago, we happened to meet on a Cape Cod beach and shared experiences.

He gave me an order for some 12'9" blank that could cast 550 grains. When I delivered them to him we both thought they were much too stiff. But after guides and line were attached, the blank turned out to be the best 2 handed surf rod.
IMO it needs more grains - but some like it with 550 grains.

The "magic" of this blank is that it has the action of a single handed rod - but in a 2 handed rod. That is very hard to do. It is NOT a Spey rod and does not have the action of a Spey rod.

What is your reason that you want a 2 handed rod?
Cant cast far enough with a single handed rod?
Want to cast on windy beaches?
Physical problem?

Reason that I ask - is because 12'0" is the minimum length that makes a 2 handed rod perform as well as a good caster with a single handed rod.
And do you intend to cast a #8 or #9 single hand line on the rod you are looking for?

What's you fishery? Where?
Herb Ladenheim
U.S. Rep for CTS

PS You will not see this custom blank on the CTS website

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 12/18/2022 09:08PM by Herb Ladenheim.

Posted by: Alfredo Sepulveda (---.hsd1.nj.comcast.net)
Date: December 19, 2022 01:33PM

I am looking for distance and the ability to throw a heavy shooting head on windy days. It is always windy in New Jersey.

Posted by: Herb Ladenheim (185.203.218.---)
Date: December 19, 2022 02:23PM

Alfredo,
I know NJ conditions well.
Then - IMO - you do not want a #8 or #9 2 handed blank.
It's all about grains. The more grains the better in wind.
The 12'9" blank will serve you well casting 550-650 grains.
I favor the intergrated short headed lines like the Wulff bermuda Triangle Short #13 or #14.
Mike prefers the old Airflo 2 handed beach lines.
Either way - you need grains.
I use floating lines even in the surf. For heavy wind and big surf you will want a sinking line (thinner) to penetrate the wind and be able to keep in touch with the fly.
Two of my fishing buddies fished NJ surf 2 weeks ago and caught the tail end of the Bass blitz. Both caught about 30 fish each up to 39".
Said it was the best bass day they had all year.
Casts of 100-125' are not unusual with the 12'9" blank in question - if you line it correctly.
By any chance are you either a member of Stripersonline - or read it once in awhile?

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 12/20/2022 09:37AM by Herb Ladenheim.

Posted by: Herb Ladenheim (---.68.237.4.hwccustomers.com)
Date: December 21, 2022 05:31PM

Alfredo,
I can't stress enough that you need:
1. A blank over 12'
2. Fast action - similar to a S/H fast blank. A blank designed as a Spey rod will not do - unles it is rated to carry many more grains than for Spey use.
I have such a 12'6" blank in my personal rack.
Herb

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster