I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Pages: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
guide foot adhesive
Posted by: Steve Chontos (---.delta.com)
Date: December 15, 2022 09:04PM

I read about this in another post, I didn't even know such a thing existed. Right now I am using thin pieces of tape to hold my guides in place to start wrapping. I remove the tape when I get there and finish wrapping the guide. Once all guides have been wrapped, I eyeball down the blank and slide them around to get a straight line. If you use the guide foot adhesive, will you be able to make any final adjustments once wrapped?
Thank You,

Steve

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: guide foot adhesive
Posted by: Michael Danek (---.alma.mi.frontiernet.net)
Date: December 15, 2022 09:19PM

I have found that using a very tiny drop of the adhesive on the foot, really a tiny amount, will hold the guide enough to wrap it. Then it can be moved for alignment.. It will not hold the guide well enough to do a stress test, so don't expect it to. And if you use too much the gob will deform the thread at the feet of micro guides like KT's. I just heat the stick with a lighter and barely touch the bottom of the foot to the stick, then quickly to the blank.

I have since changed to using dental brace rubber rings. Sort of unhandy having to run them almost the length of the blank from the tip, but they work fairly well. For the tip section double or triple loop them. available on Amazon . Pretty cheap.

Posted by: Peter Yawn (---.mpls.qwest.net)
Date: December 15, 2022 11:07PM

I use flex coat guide foot adhesive for guides too small to tape on (usually running guides). I heat the guide gently with a lighter, push it on the end of the guide foot adhesive stick, and then stick it on the rod. It is just sticky enough to hold the guide while wrapping but very easy to adjust to align guides. It's really low heat glue so it doesn't take much to get it to stick.

Posted by: Spencer Phipps (---)
Date: December 15, 2022 11:34PM

If you go to the Flex Coat site to the left, they tell you it is a low temp. "temporary" guide adhesive. Don't use it as a tip top adhesive.

Posted by: Mark Talmo (---)
Date: December 16, 2022 12:07AM

Steve,
There may be other “guide foot adhesives ‘ out there but I am only familiar with the Flex Coat brand. It works extremely well and, yes, the guide can be adjusted after wrapped; obviously not as easily as if no hot-melt was used, but still adjustable nonetheless. I do not use it on all my guides (wraps) but it certainly comes in handy for those micro runners, especially if there are numerous inlays and such where tape and bands get in the way. Yet another great product from FlexCoat!

Mark Talmo
FISHING IS NOT AN ESCAPE FROM LIFE BUT RATHER A DEEPER IMMERSION INTO IT!!! BUILDING YOUR OWN SIMPLY ENHANCES THE EXPERIENCE.

Posted by: Brian Jackson (---)
Date: December 21, 2022 10:59AM

I have always held them in place and aligned them with the tiny rubber o rings from mudhole then put a tiny (really tiny) spot of super glue on the side of the guide foot. I will have to try the Flex Coat adhesive as it seems to eliminate some unnecessary steps

Posted by: Ed Rose (---)
Date: December 21, 2022 04:59PM

I just used the glue stick for a hot glue gun and it worked - use only a tiny amount and have a steady hand getting it into the correct position ASAP

Posted by: Phil Erickson (---)
Date: December 21, 2022 06:33PM

I have used the guide foot adhesive for years building fly rods. Once you get comfortable with it, you will find it to be fast, secure and flexible enough to allow guide adjustment after wrapping.

Posted by: Lynn Behler (---.44.66.72.res-cmts.leh.ptd.net)
Date: December 21, 2022 09:06PM

O.K. use guide foot adhesive. Wrap the guide using a Forhan lock wrap. Now break the guide free for final alignment. Explain to me how you can move the guide back and forth on the blank with the upright locked to the blank and keep the foot parallel to the blank. You might move the toe back and forth, but you're not going to move the ring in relation to the blank. Locked is locked.

Date: December 22, 2022 12:05AM

Using guide foot adhesive does allow you to move the guides after the wrap, even with the locking wrap! The locking wrap keeps the guide from pulling out, not from moving around the circumference of the blank.!

Now to be sure, we are talking about slight adjustments, not large movements. I do it all the time in my building of fly rods with single foot guides.

Date: December 23, 2022 07:42PM

Phil, maybe I'm using too much tension, I'll try some tests. But after encircling the upright 3 times and blocking wraps, I'm not feelin' it.

Date: December 23, 2022 11:05PM

I modify the locking wrap slightly, in that I put one wrap behind the guide, then two around and finish with one behind. And when I say they are movable, I'm talking about tweaking them to be sure they are straight and aligned. Because I only build fly rods and almost always 4 piece, I am never having to align a long train of guides, some sections only have 3 or 4 guides!

Posted by: roger wilson (---)
Date: December 24, 2022 07:53AM

Steve,
I use the same method you use to hold guides in place during wrapping procedures.

I tried guide adhesive a few times, but I was not satisfied with the results with the over all results and non ease of use.

As a result, I went back to using masking tape and have never looked back.

I keep rolls of tape in 1/4 inch, 1/8th inch, and 1/16th inch widths.

One of these widths will take care of the needs of securing the guide/s in question.

I use the low tack auto body striping tape that leave virtually no residue behind and thus no issues for clean up of the blank after the guides have been wrapped.

For myself, with my background - I have never found that guide adhesive makes much sense to me. But, if a person or persons like to use guide adhesive and enjoy its use and after life - by all means purchase and use it at will.

Best wishes.

Date: December 24, 2022 06:40PM

I'm usually building 6.5-7.5ft. spin or cast rods so a long way to sight down the blank. In this thread I describe what I'm currently doing. Once they're wrapped, no further alignment takes place. [www.rodbuilding.org]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/24/2022 06:42PM by Lynn Behler.

Posted by: Fred Kneipp (208.77.88.---)
Date: December 30, 2022 04:39PM

Roger, what brand of stripping tape do you use and where do you get it?

Posted by: roger wilson (---)
Date: December 30, 2022 05:08PM

3M pin striping tape:

[www.3m.com]

I purchase it at any auto parts or paint store that carries pin striping tape.

Take care

Posted by: Michael Danek (---.adr01.alma.mi.frontiernet.net)
Date: December 30, 2022 06:03PM

I wonder if the striping tape, stretched a little and wrapped to overlap and cover the foot, then epoxied, might be a viable guide attachment? Might have to give it a look.

Posted by: Russell Brunt (---)
Date: December 30, 2022 06:28PM

For small single foot guides (4 and under) I find the flex coat guide adhesive to be a godsend.

Russ in Hollywood, FL.

Posted by: Mark Talmo (---)
Date: December 30, 2022 08:51PM

Apparently, there are more builders who use guide foot adhesive than I thought there was. Again, while I do not employ it on all my guides to be wrapped, as Russell said, it is a Godsend to me for the micros!
Although I have never experienced “guide pull-out” in 50 years of fishing, there may be others who are not as careful with their equipment. Since learning of “locking wraps” on this site, I developed my own method of doing such as an added precaution and evidence the rod is custom; basically, I do it simply because I can. I have no problem final-adjusting the guide to be straight and inline before applying epoxy; maybe the Forhan is different.

Mark Talmo
FISHING IS NOT AN ESCAPE FROM LIFE BUT RATHER A DEEPER IMMERSION INTO IT!!! BUILDING YOUR OWN SIMPLY ENHANCES THE EXPERIENCE.

Posted by: david taylor (---)
Date: January 01, 2023 01:47PM

I have guide foot adhesive I purchased from Mud Hole. I tried to use it on Pac Bay Ti Chrome single foot guides. I used a lighter to heat the guide foot, pressed it into the adhesive stick, and got zero results when trying to adhere it to an Batson Enternity2 fly blank. Multiple attempts failed. I wonder if it was my ineptness, the type of paint on the cobalt colored blank, or the Ti Chrome finish on the guides? Any suggestions or experiences. No biggie as I have tape and the small guide bands, but was really hoping to make the adhesive work.

Here are the guides in question: [www.anglersworkshop.com]

I have not tried on any other guides or blank yet.

These guides like many Pac Bay items are about toast in the marketplace, but I have one set remaining to use purchased several years ago.

Pages: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster