I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

NFC P702-1 (HM) vs P703-1 (IM)
Posted by: Pawel Tymendorf (---)
Date: December 15, 2022 11:41AM

Hello,

I am looking for the information regarding two NFC popping blanks P702 and P703. My idea is to use one of them to build perch / walleye spinning rod
(light braided line + fluorocarbon leader, 1/16- 3/8 oz jigheads + small grubs and shads).

I wonder if I can find IP and AA numbers for these blank anywhere? or any foto with bent/action charcteristics ? Maybe one of the owners/youser can write sth about their sensitivity ?

P703-1 IM blank seems to have very similiar specs in comparison to P702 (slightly thicker tip with the same butt and weight) but is described "fast" instead od "ex-fast" and has bigger power rating (3 instead of 2) but I don't know what to expect in reality.

Which of these blanks in your opinion will be better for my intended use ? My favourite blank so far is St.Croix SCV76MLXF2 but it is not available anymore, great walleye rod. I also use NFC FW702-2 (IM) for perch and love this blank. Now I would like to find sth 'in between'.

Best regards,
Pavel

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: NFC P702-1 (HM) vs P703-1 (IM)
Posted by: Marc Schwitters (---.sc.res.rr.com)
Date: December 15, 2022 12:22PM

I would stay with St Croix. Im admittedly bitter because of bad customer service but the quality of NFC isn't what it was. Blanks take
Weeks if not months to arrive. I think they are mainly a Chinese carbon fiber grip dealer these days.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/15/2022 12:32PM by Marc Schwitters.

Posted by: Russell Brunt (---)
Date: December 15, 2022 02:04PM

Considering what you like......I'd suggest the Xray SJ-703.

It is a step up in power from the FW702 (okay maybe a step and a half). But it is a fast blank like the FW702. I have the P704 and it, like most popping blanks, are made to be slower action than a spin/jig.

I also feel like the ratings on the website are crossed up between the Xray SJ-732 and SJ-703. To me the SJ-732 is a little slower and a little more powerful than the SJ-703.

IMHO if you like the FW702 I think you will prefer the SJ703 over the P70X series. I have all three but I have no experience with your fish/waters.

Russ in Hollywood, FL.

Posted by: John Nesse (---)
Date: December 15, 2022 03:19PM

I have P 703 (HM) and absolutely love it as a walleye and smallmouth rod. It's a really nice 7' medium-light that handles 1/8 ounce jigs beautifully. I wouldn't fish heavier than 1/4 ounce with it. It does have a lot of power as you'd expect from a blank designed for saltwater. But it fishes very light if that makes sense.

I fish P703 and P704 HM blanks regularly and find them to be very versatile and forgiving, but also very lightweight and sensitive. I love them.

I haven't held a 702, but I'd expect it to fish as a light action and be acceptable for perch but probably not walleye. That's an educated guess, but still a guess.

I have several x-rays and they're great. Go with the x-ray if you want something with a faster action and a little less power.

Posted by: Matt Ruggie (---)
Date: December 15, 2022 03:27PM

John Nesse Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I have P 703 (HM) and absolutely love it as a
> walleye and smallmouth rod. It's a really nice 7'
> medium-light that handles 1/8 ounce jigs
> beautifully. I wouldn't fish heavier than 1/4
> ounce with it. It does have a lot of power as
> you'd expect from a blank designed for saltwater.
> But it fishes very light if that makes sense.
>
> I fish P703 and P704 HM blanks regularly and find
> them to be very versatile and forgiving, but also
> very lightweight and sensitive. I love them.
>
> I haven't held a 702, but I'd expect it to fish as
> a light action and be acceptable for perch but
> probably not walleye. That's an educated guess,
> but still a guess.
>
> I have several x-rays and they're great. Go with
> the x-ray if you want something with a faster
> action and a little less power.

I gotta try those 2 blanks out.

Posted by: Pawel Tymendorf (---.aa.ipv6.supernova.orange.pl)
Date: December 15, 2022 03:34PM

Thank you guys for your response, I already have X-Ray SJ 703 - still as a blank - and I would say it is two steps up in power in comparison to FW702-2. Recently I ordered SB783 at Black Friday - yes, together with some carbon grips - and as Kelsey for NFC informed me it is going to be shipped soon so I guess it is not that bad with NCF customer service Marc ;)

Russel, P702-1 (HM) is descrbed as ex-fast thereofere I think it might not be a 'typical' popping blank and it makes me so curious about it. Unfortunatelly it is hard to find more info about this particular model

Best regards,
Pavel

Posted by: Chris Andresen (---.res.spectrum.com)
Date: December 15, 2022 09:46PM

The p703 hm is a great 1/8 oz jig stick.

Posted by: Spencer Phipps (---)
Date: December 15, 2022 10:57PM

I suspect we are looking at the Loomis PR 702 S, P 842 blank or Shikari P, IP, PP 702 type rods in the NFC P703, and the NFC P 702 would be in the Loomis PR 8400, P 8400 or Shikari P, IP, PP 7000 wheelhouse. In other words, very versatile blanks. The NFC P702 should make a decent light dropshot rod also, the 2 power 7 and 7 1/2 ft. popping blanks NFC P703 do so many things well I wouldn't want to be without one, ever get to sea trout/bonefish country you'll want to bring it, the waders seem to like this power rod also. I have caught a lot of big brown and rainbows, 1/2 pounders on the Rogue R. and Jacks, steelhead and coho on the 7 1/2 ft version of the 2 power popping rod.
Forgot something, if I'm right about the NFC 702, the tip bend shape will be similar to your St. Croix 76MLXF, not the tip power necessarily but the way it bends.

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 12/16/2022 03:09AM by Spencer Phipps.

Posted by: Pawel Tymendorf (---.aa.ipv6.supernova.orange.pl)
Date: December 16, 2022 04:26AM

Spencer Phipps Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------

> Forgot something, if I'm right about the NFC 702,
> the tip bend shape will be similar to your St.
> Croix 76MLXF, not the tip power necessarily but
> the way it bends.

Thank you Spencer ! Which NFC 702 you are referring to, P702-1 (HM) ?

apart from P703-1 (IM), P702-1(HM) there is also P701-1 (X-Ray) rated UL (4-6lb). So if you are talking about old Loomis PR 8400, P 8400 or Shikari P, IP, PP 7000 I am not sure if they would reflect more P702-1 or P701-1

Best regards,
Pavel

Posted by: Spencer Phipps (---)
Date: December 16, 2022 11:26AM

Pawel,
I don't know what to say, info on the Shikari P7000 in on the internet, on the bass forums. Without pictures all I can say is the St. Croix blank you like was built on SCIII and SCV carbon, I have the SCV one piece here and have used a one piece SCIII they both have the light easily bent loose tip. The same with the GLoomis and Shikari blanks, no matter the modulus they had that same feature only they did it with a bit more stiffness in the tip before you achieve it. Easily bend, bend, bend, than wham! Backbone, almost like it's hinged for a better word. I have never tried a two piece 76MLXF.
One thing I forgot, I'm really not sure why, but if you have to throw Long A style lures in breezy conditions those blanks seem to be better at it than many I have used.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/16/2022 04:51PM by Spencer Phipps.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster